Marakon Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Marakon Associate Interview Questions

3.5

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marakon (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Straightforward but very interesting. Thought provoking and stimulating to build up the final idea of the interview. I myself didn't have much time to prepare for the interview but the interviewer was very helpful in guiding me through.

Interview Questions

• How many people do you think take Uber in any given city?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Marakon

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marakon (New York, NY).

Interview

On-campus interview first round, ~10 days wait then in-office interview. Very friendly interviewers and the interview process as a whole is reflective of the company's (great) culture. On the other hand, the company took an inordinate amount of time (over a month) getting back to me, which was rather unprofessional. Other than that, they were all great.

This review is for the second round; the first round was the typical case and fit interview one-two punch. The second round is made up of three ~40-minute chunks, one written case and two fit/personality interviews (with a sprinkling of business sense questions). The written case was a bit on the tougher side, with a fair amount of number-crunching to do and nobody to ask clarifying questions to while you're at it.

Interview Questions

• A credit-card POS processor (think Square) is suffering from customer attrition and retention issues. Which could those be?

Where do you think the self-driving car industry is going and how do you think the dominant players (Google, Apple, and some other guys they name beforehand) will act strategically? (e.g. do you see any JVs and why)

...And other kind of open-ended questions involving some kind of consulting intuition.

They are VERY big on "Why Marakon" since they're a boutique. Do your due-dil.
      Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marakon.

Interview

Corresponded with two Managers via email to set up an interview. First interview was a phone screening with a senior level Principal. This was more of a fit interview and included a few questions about why I wanted to leave my then current firm and where I saw myself fitting in at Marakon.

Second round interview entailed two business cases, one with a Senior Associate and one with a senior level Principal (different person from the phone interview). The cases were pretty standard profitability and growth strategy cases involving quick mental calculations using large numbers, a basic understanding of how businesses make money, some intuitive and creative thinking about the industries in which the "client" company operates, etc. The questions and cases were pretty standard, but what made one of the cases more challenging was the rate at which you were expected to have an answer to the rapid fire list of questions the senior Principal asked. The case was very fast-paced, so you had to think quickly and be confident in your responses.

I then had a fit interview with a VP (formerly known as Partners). Standard fit questions, friendly, nothing unanticipated or unfair.

Interview Questions

• Your background is somewhat atypical for us. How can we leverage your experience and education in our work and what are you going to do to catch up to speed with some of our baseline skills?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Marakon.

Interview

Overview:
    1st Round - on-campus - two case interviews
    Final round - in NY office - three interviews (2 cases and 1 fit)

General Thoughts:
    Marakon interviews were similar to interviews at all other management consulting firms. Be prepared to go through business cases during each round of the interview process. Brush up on math skills and strategic and creative thinking. One thing I would say that stood out for me was that the people at Marakon really made me feel at ease during the whole interview process. Although I had interviews pretty late during the day, my interviewers were friendly and very helpful (even after a whole day of sitting through interviews) - you could also tell that they want you to do well. I cannot say the same for some of the other interviews I had with other companies. I would say overall it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• They want you to be thinkers and problem solvers and will urge you to come up with more ideas/creative answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Thought offer was good and in-line with other consulting firms - did not negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marakon (Chicago, IL) in November 2009.

Interview

Campus Recruiting as 1st round and Onsite Interview as 2nd round

Interview Questions

• One interviewer at Campus Recruiting was playing bad cop and tried to test us under-pressure   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didnt negotiate. Though some other companies offered higher salary, type of work at Marakon is much more interesting

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marakon (London, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

Applied online with CV and cover letter. Invited to first round where I had two interviews. Both were roughly 30 minutes long. The first interview was fitness based, which was fairly standard tell me about yourself, why consulting, why Marakon, etc. 2nd interview was a case interview. The case interview revolved around interpreting figures and discussing the business industry of the client.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had a conflict with a team member and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Marakon (London, England (UK)) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied through employee referral. HR was very helpful in conducting the process. FIrst round fit interview over the phone asking about motivations and how one would handle specific situations, then two formal 1:1 interviews in their London office the first one a case, the second one more general about my experience and what I can bring to marakon

Interview Questions

• Was given 15 minutes to read through the material. Would advise someone to not dive straight in and hash out a structure before looking for specific bits of material you need.

It was a lot of material so reading it is kind of pointless and there is a lot of information which is put in there to distract you.
      Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marakon (London, England (UK)) in August 2014.

Interview

Initial application was via a CV and covering letter (no online tests are used)

I then had two rounds of 2 one-on-one interviews, although I believe this can vary. In each set, one focused on a case study, with the other focused more on experience, motivations, general business interest, etc.

Interview Questions

• What is it about Marakon that makes it a better fit for you relative to other consulting firms?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marakon (London, England (UK)) in January 2011.

Interview

CV and cover letter submitted online. Make sure to go to one of their campus presentations if there's one at your school because they seem to care a lot about that. Interview was 2 rounds, 1 with a simple CV interview (more of a conversation really) and a very rudimentary case just to test if you know how to read graphs and stuff. Round 2 had 4 rounds - a group case study and presentation, a regular case study, a "role play" scenario where you're pretending to be a consultant getting information out of a reluctant client employee, and a more in-depth cv interview with some competency questions.

Interview Questions

• You're working at marakon and your client is considering moving his manufacturing from western europe to eastern europe. You're going to be asking an employee of theirs questions about how much money the company can save by moving the plants, but you have to put him at ease because he may lose his job if they move the plants. This is a role play   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marakon (London, England (UK)) in December 2010.

Interview

2 one-on-one interviews. One case study, one fit interview. Not very friendly.
    Case study required lots of maths, and had to pull out insights from graphs presented before you. Very intense questioning, and tough interrogation of answers given.
    Fit interview had some of the standard fit interview questions, but delved into everything mentioned very thoroughly, with a strong focus on business. What business issues interest you? Companies you're interested in. 'If you were CEO of X what would you be doing/ what would the important issues you are facing right now be? Felt like a cross between a case study and a fit interview.

Interview Questions

• If you were CEO of X what are the key issues you would address?   Answer Question