Marathon Oil Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 15, 2017

2.9

Accounting/Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

I had spoken to them at our universities career fair where they told us to apply online, which I did. I was not contacted for another 2 weeks until I was emailed saying they wanted me to do an interview with them which I set up at the school. They had some previous interns and current employees waiting out in the "waiting area" talking and answering any questions we had about Marathon or the position we were interviewing for. They then brought us back to the room where there were 2 ladies waiting. They mostly spoke about my resume, asking questions about it and a few behavioral. Was very relaxed and fun environment.

Interview Questions

I had another offer that was a better fit for me personally. Great company though. Very fast at getting back to you!!

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norman, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marathon Oil (Norman, OK) in September 2013.

Interview

I went to the Career Fair at my university. I went by the Marathon booth and gave them my resume. Later that night they called me for a next day interview and I accepted the interview. Overall, the process went extremely fast.

Process Engineer/Kenedy, TX Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kenedy, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Oil (Kenedy, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

Got hired through a headhunter agency. Could never seem to make inroads with them until he pushed them hard. Interview at SA office was ok but HR girl gave me directions to the field office that got me lost. Made it late to the field interview but they were understanding fortunately.

Interview Questions

• Nothing of any real significance. Was hard to completely understand what they were wanting to ask. Clearly had zero actual process engineering experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Mostly spent time trying to clarify what the benefit package actually was. HR didn't do a great job of laying it out simply.

Geologist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Marathon Oil in September 2013.

Interview

Requires finishing online application before interviewing.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marathon Oil.

Interview

Pretty standard interview process, at their Houston headquarters. 1-2 interviewers at a time, 4 rounds of questions. Lunch with current younger employees gave an opportunity to ask questions about work/life balance, advancement opportunities, etc.

Interview Questions

• All questions were pretty standard. Mostly behavorial, "name a time that...", "what would you do if..." type questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was happy with the initial offer. They were very flexible with my start date.

Entry Level Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

I applied online on their website and forgot about it because they never called me in the past, then I received a phone call about one month later from a recruiter asking if I am still interested and if I will be available for a telephone interview. I said yes and was scheduled for an interview in 2 days' time. On the day of the interview, I was contacted by a Gulf of Mexico Exploration Supervisor. He started by introducing himself. The he asked me to introduce myself by telling them where I have been, what I have done. That is like saying, tell me about yourself? Then he asked me, “do you have the ability to work unrestricted in the United States? Will you need sponsorship now or in the future to work for Marathon Oil Corporation? He inquired, “Will you be willing to relocate if required?” Explain to me what you did in your thesis? Tell me about your current job? How is your professional relationship at your current place of work? That is, how are you getting along with your co-workers? Have you worked in exploration team before? Have you used Petra and petrel software before? Tell me software you have used in the past or that you are currently using?

Then, he explained to me the responsibility the candidate for the position will be assuming if hired, before asking, tell me a time your suggestion was useful in a team work setting? Was your suggestion accepted? Then he told me the basic salary for the position. Finally, he asked me, "do you have any question for me?” He told me that they are in the starting phase of the interview, thus that it may take a while before I will hear from them, and the phone interview was over.

I did not hear from them until exactly month after the interview. But I called the company after 3 week for the outcome but got no response from my call. Eventually I got an e-mail saying it was great speaking with me, that they are continuing their search.

Interview Questions

• I will say, when he asked me if I have worked in exploration team before. He did not give me a single second to respond and moved on to another question.   1 Answer

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) in August 2012.

Interview

Single day process, you speak with 5 - 7 people and a decision is made within a week.

Interview Questions

• All standard interview questions. Much more emphasis is placed on cultural fit   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) in June 2012.

Interview

Laid back, interviewers were easy to talk to and polite. Felt like a conversation and not an interview. Heard back from the recruiters fairly quickly. Many people felt the same way about the interview process. The interview was held on campus with different people and there were three rounds after the initial interview. Felt comfortable and confident during the entire process.

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Oil (Lubbock, TX) in April 2012.

Interview

I initially met the recruiters at an information session at my university. After that I followed up connection with a dinner meeting. I had an interview and we discussed life situations and scenarios. It was majority based on life-scenarious

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question were teamwork scenarios. It was only brief questions asked about programming experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Nothing was really negotiable for the internship

Advanced Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) in February 2012.

Interview

Met with multiple managers over a three hour period. Most questions were about my personal background and experiences. Seemed like the interview was more of a personality test to see if I would fit in versus a test of my skills.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were about prior job tasks and responsibilities.   Answer Question