Marathon Petroleum Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 9, 2017

2.6

109 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Interview

Talked to the guys at a career fair, did an on-campus interview the next day, got an offer the following day. Scheduled start date 6 months or so in advance

Interview Questions

• Soft questions (what was an example of a time where you solved a problem, etc.)   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Interview

I received the interview invitation after talking to a marketing director at my school's career fair. I interviewed with two women from HR (who were late to the interview). They were quite condescending with their questions regarding my experience and did not seem professional to me. The whole interview process gave me a bad taste about the entire company.

IT Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum (Athens, OH) in February 2017.

Interview

On campus interview - very basic. They came on campus to a career fair and I walked up and talked to them and they asked me for an interview after I was done talking to them. I had an interview the next day and am still waiting to hear back.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum (Houston, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

They offered me an interview at our on campus career fair. They were very friendly! They ask both behavioral questions and a few technical questions. They ask about basic leadership positions and working in groups.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Marathon?   1 Answer

IT Co-Op Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum in January 2017.

Interview

I spoke to representatives from Marathon Petroleum on campus during a career fair and scheduled a next day interview with an HR representative and a senior manager. Interview was very casual, no technical questions presented, mostly behavioral. I received an offer two weeks later.

Operations Center Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Findlay, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum (Findlay, OH) in December 2016.

Interview

Process began by recording your video responses to a preliminary online interview. (Takes about 30 minutes.) Next stage was the 4-hour COBRA (console operator) simulation at Marathon. Final interview was with two separate teams of 3 interviewers each. Final interview was a little bit of a curveball, as it seemed several of the questions had little to do with the position. Also, interviewers didn't seem interested in finding out about candidate's knowledge of the company, industry, & position. Most questions were behavioral, so prepare well for any type of behavioral questions, regardless of whether you think they have anything to do with the position's responsibilities.

HES Professional Interview

Interview

Everyone was professional and courteous. All questions I had regarding the position were answered throughout the interview. Conducted an initial phone interview followed with an in person interview two weeks later. The whole process took about three months.

Interview Questions

• All questions were behavior based. Describe scenario when...How do you stay organized...Provide an example...   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grove City, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum (Grove City, PA) in October 2016.

Interview

I interacted with employees of the company at a career fair on my campus. I gave them my resume and received a call later in the evening to come in for an interview the following day. The interview lasted about 30 minutes and consisted of questions regarding my resume and others regarding my experiences with various past activities. I also had time to ask questions at the end of the interview and I found that time to be very helpful.

Interview Questions

• What is one time in your life that you found yourself in a leadership position and how did you lead?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate the location of my internship to be closer to home and they did everything to take care of my requests.

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Interview

I talked to them at the career fair, then they set up a time the next day for an interview. At the interview, they asked me to go through my resume and transcript with them, then they asked behavioral type questions. It was very relaxed. The HR rep was asking all of the questions while the supervisor of the engineering department was reviewing my transcript. I received an offer about 1.5 month later.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Marathon?
      When was a time that you succeeded, when was a time that you overcame a difficult situation etc   Answer Question

Co-op - Refining Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Petroleum (Atlanta, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

It was very casual. I met with one HR representative and the head recruiter who was also a chemical engineer. It was 30 minutes long, and they described exactly what the company does and what I would be doing. Then there were multiple, "tell me a time when..." questions. Most of it was just to get to know your personality and values.

Interview Questions

• Name a group project that you worked on in the past year in college that displayed your skills, and what did you bring to the group?   Answer Question