Marcus & Millichap Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

35 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Office Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Brooklyn, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

1. HR via phone in California
    2. Meet senior operations manager in NY market
    3. Met Brooklyn management twice

It was clear that office of millennials rule management and somehow nepotism is allowed. Weird that reporting staff to the position were not promoted or invited to interview but we're qualified to evaluate applicants?!?

Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I attended a Sales Agent Career Event. It was a fairly relaxed process with very few attendees. People arrived late and left early.

After my one-on-one, I was assured that I would be hearing back from the hiring manager to arrange a second round. However, my follow up e-mail with the hiring manager was met with radio silence.

There are plenty of other commercial brokerages in the LA area. The market is saturated, and as a 1099 you can afford to be choosy. Choose one that is a little more respectful of your time.

Interview Questions

• Run of the mill questions--e.g. Why commercial real estate? Do you have a particular area you are interested in? How do you plan to support yourself during the first year w/o income?   Answer Question

Senior Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calabasas, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Calabasas, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Had a really bad experience. 3 interviews total. First interview with internal recruiter for about 30 minutes. Second interview with the same recruiter for another 30 minutes. Third interview for another 30 minutes with a marketing manager. She called 20 minutes late, was totally unprepared, asked same questions twice and had a wrong resume open. After that, there was no follow up. Sounds like a very unorganized and unprofessional environment.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Came in three times around my work schedule. I had positive interviews and clicked very well. I thought it was a complete home run. When I followed up I received several explanations as to why they are stalling on hiring.. crazy month, crazy schedule, budgetary reasons. I was assured that their review of me was very positive and that I should wait it out (this was over a month after the interviews). When I followed up for other opportunities, I was asked if I was willing to be compensated less than my salary requirement (I’m guessing $20k less as per Glassdoor data). Don’t waste your time.

Interview Questions

• What was your compensation at your previous firm and what is your asking salary?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I only made it through the initial phone interview and scheduled a "1st" interview with the broker before I decided it wasn't the right fit for me. The woman that held the phone interview was very informative and helpful! She made sure that I knew about any positions that were available and applied to what was listed on my resume.

Interview Questions

• Do I know anything about real estate agencies?   1 Answer
    • Is not receiving Healthcare Insurance from the company an issue?   1 Answer

Investment Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied through my university job portal. Had a 30 min interview at the career center with one of the managers. He never really asked me anything. Felt like he was more trying to sell me on the company but there didn't seem like there was much to sell. It was a pretty simple conversation about what Marcus and Millichap does and what this position would entail. You would essentially be a traveling salesperson. You spend the first year training to sell commercial property (making around 50 cold calls a day). There is no base salary! It is all commission-based which could be ok because the sales you could be closing would be worth thousands of dollars on big commercial property units but you probably wouldn't make a sale for a year or so. As for the recruiting timeline, he said I needed to reach out after this first interview if I was still interested.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

Very positive vibe throughout the entire interview process. Helpful industry advice. They care about your success. You can tell they are salesmen- they pitch the position very well.The office is very similar to other Marcus and Millichap offices (clean, organized, with an innovative atmosphere).

Brokerage Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

A current employee in my network set up an interview for me with his boss. Spoke to several workers, including the team manager and president of that specific team. A lot of small talk. Went through my resume.

Loan Originator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (San Diego, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Went to career event, applied online and was contacted by the San Diego office. Had one interview, was asked to take an online personality assessment test afterwards, then had another interview. The second interview seemed pointless and a complete waste of time. Felt bad vibes from the VP, he was an interestingly weird dude that had an awkward presence. He talked to me about being a Commercial Real Estate Agent or a Loan Originator. A typical day is 7am-7pm (which is ok, I've worked jobs where I did 14-16 hour days). The Loan Originator position has a base salary of 36k until you start making money--they say. The CRE Agent position is all commission and you won't make money for the first 12-14 weeks--they say. Also, the company says YOU have to pay them $1000 for training. That was a red flag, seemed shady, I've never heard of a reputable company CHARGE YOU for training to work for them. Good companies ALWAYS pay you. Their excuse was that people take advantage of their "amazing" training, then quit. If that's really the case, why not charge the trainee, but then reimburse them on their first deal? That would make sense to me. Good luck to all the slave laborers who take the job for 12-14 months without pay--think about it--what you're essentially doing is screening the entire market for them of prospective buyers and sellers, without pay=slave labor. How is this company getting away with hiring "independent contractors" who are doing W2 work? Terrible.

Interview Questions

• Do you own more than one suit, or is it just this?   1 Answer
    • Can you go 12-14 months without pay?   1 Answer

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Austin, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Met at career fair, very friendly and accessible. Invited me to interview the following day. Interview was very easy and went well. Afterwards I sent a follow-up email and did not get a reply for two weeks, after which I had lost interest for the job, and the entire process concluded at this point.