Marcus & Millichap Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2017

2.4

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2013.

Interview

Phone interview and then 1 or 2 in-person interviews, which are very intense because there are 4 managers there interviewing you. You have to complete a case-study, which is just some basic forecasting. The managers there prefer the educated guessing method rather than any sound statistical analysis. So, just use some basic supply/demand shift analysis. Don't bring in results from time-series regressions and expect them to understand them.

Interview Questions

• Many of the questions were very broad. The one that will land you the job is something like this, "What do you do if you have assignments due, but then we get a call at 4pm saying our boss is going to be on the news that night and he needs some analysis, which will take hours to do, done right away?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is some negotiation room. You can make a counter-offer.

Investment Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Miami, FL) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied online and submitted my resume. I called them back about two days later to follow up, and they told me they liked my resume and that I should come in for an informational meeting.
    I went to a meeting where they explained various aspects of the job and spoke to us a bit. They said that they would be reaching out to us following the interviews. Rather than wait, I decided to call the next day and arrange an interview. After that I went to meet with the Regional Manager of the office, as well as several Associates throughout the course of a week. After this I had a final meeting with the Regional Manager where my hire was confirmed.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever cold called? Describe your sales experience? Why do you want to sell real estate?   Answer Question

Commercial Real Estate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in August 2015.

Interview

There was an online test on sales aptitude assessment first. Then the manager called the second day to schedule a face-to-face meeting. The overall interview had a lot of behavioural questions, especially on details of cold calls. The job responsibilities is more like an internal real estate agent rather than an external one, just cold calls, meetings and paper work.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Philadelphia, PA) in November 2014.

Interview

Great Experience. Very Forthcoming with Information. Interested in you as a person. Great explanation of the firm's history and approach to the commercial real estate market. Took the time to evaluate your interests and relevant past experiences to find a "group" within the company that you would best fit into without overcoming significant hurdles due to personality, knowledge, or approach.

Interview Questions

• 5-10 year goals. Reason for wanting to get into the field. Prior Experience. Individualized questions about personal history, education, interests outside of work.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Atlanta, GA) in August 2010.

Interview

Meet with the Regional Manager, meet some people, get hired. I was hired in about 30 minutes, almost like they were selling me on the company. There are a lot of great people who work there, but the majority are stuck and end up moving on to something that they feel is more stable.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Austin, TX) in December 2009.

Interview

phone interview with sales manager, brought in for in person interview with senior agents and sales manager, then they make a decision on the spot on whether to bring you on board or not.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you experienced rejection and how to overcame it.   Answer Question

Commercial Real Estate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Interview

I went into this knowing I had very little chance of being hired, seeing that my educational background and experience have very little to do with commercial real estate. However, I saw the position listed on my university careers website. To my surprise, I got called back by the hiring manager within a few hours. In my opinion, the guy had already made up his mind that he wasn't going to hire me before I went in for the interview, so I was kind of disappointed that he wasted my time as well as his own. The interview itself was pretty rough. You better be able to back up everything you say because he asks you "Why?" after every answer you give. He flat out told me that I wasn't a strong candidate towards the end of the interview, which I appreciated, rather than most hiring managers who tell you they will be in contact with you soon. I understand that it's business, never personal, but I would have appreciated it a lot more, however, if they guy didn't have such an arrogant air around him the entire time.

Interview Questions

• Conversation somehow got steered to how I didn't want to move out of state for the "promise of maybe". He insinuated that it was because I wasn't adventurous (I'm actually quite adventurous) and proceeded to tell me how he moved his family across the country and he was adventurous because of it.   Answer Question

General Occupation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Seattle, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

I arrived just under 10 minutes for my interview and waited over 1/2 and hour and finally was called in. It was not what I expected as I did all the talking and after 45 minutes I left and went home. Followed up with a email that I was interested in the position and after several days I never heard back. After no response after my 3rd email I gave up and decided that I would not want to work at a place that can't take a minute to follow up with someone.

Disappointed and got my dream job anyways with a much more personable firm. It is already cold enough outside why work in a cold environment?

Sleeping in Seattle!

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap in January 2009.

Interview

Seemed like a very nice place to work. Talked with several employees who assured me the culture was great and the salary was rewarding if you were able to make it through the first year of almost no pay. The interview process was very well organized and included a couple rounds of talking to people and personality tests to assure i was a "good fit". They kept me well informed throughout the process.

Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Irvine, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Pretty straight forward, basic questions - looking for smart, talented individuals. If you are savvy and have previous experience in real estate you should be fine. The job itself is intense so be ready for a full time sales role.

Interview Questions

• what skills could you bring to the table?   1 Answer