Marcus & Millichap Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 8, 2017

2.4

Loan Originator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (San Diego, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Went to career event, applied online and was contacted by the San Diego office. Had one interview, was asked to take an online personality assessment test afterwards, then had another interview. The second interview seemed pointless and a complete waste of time. Felt bad vibes from the VP, he was an interestingly weird dude that had an awkward presence. He talked to me about being a Commercial Real Estate Agent or a Loan Originator. A typical day is 7am-7pm (which is ok, I've worked jobs where I did 14-16 hour days). The Loan Originator position has a base salary of 36k until you start making money--they say. The CRE Agent position is all commission and you won't make money for the first 12-14 weeks--they say. Also, the company says YOU have to pay them $1000 for training. That was a red flag, seemed shady, I've never heard of a reputable company CHARGE YOU for training to work for them. Good companies ALWAYS pay you. Their excuse was that people take advantage of their "amazing" training, then quit. If that's really the case, why not charge the trainee, but then reimburse them on their first deal? That would make sense to me. Good luck to all the slave laborers who take the job for 12-14 months without pay--think about it--what you're essentially doing is screening the entire market for them of prospective buyers and sellers, without pay=slave labor. How is this company getting away with hiring "independent contractors" who are doing W2 work? Terrible.

Interview Questions

• Do you own more than one suit, or is it just this?   1 Answer
    • Can you go 12-14 months without pay?   1 Answer

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Austin, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Met at career fair, very friendly and accessible. Invited me to interview the following day. Interview was very easy and went well. Afterwards I sent a follow-up email and did not get a reply for two weeks, after which I had lost interest for the job, and the entire process concluded at this point.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

1 short phone call then a followup 30 minute behavioral interview. It was for a position in New York city. The interviewer was very kind and make the video chat go by easy as he led it.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Long Beach, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Very simple three-part process: (1) initial interview with VP; (2) personality assessment; (3) meeting with senior individuals. The personality assessment is essentially a quiz of your sales skills. I wouldn't recommend trying to game the assessment, but think about what you'd be looking for in a salesman (which is basically what you'll be): high-energy, driven, self-motivated/self-managing, etc. ALSO, think very carefully about whether you'd be willing to invest time and forgo income for the initial year or so when you'll be making very little to no money.

Interview Questions

• The usual. Why commercial real estate? Walk me through your resume. Prepare a bulletproof response to the "why CRE" question. Also think very carefully about how you'd respond to a question asking how you'd survive for the first year without making money (e.g., move back and live with parents; have partner support you; etc.).   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Long Beach, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Joke--they ARE ALL SALESMEN, so they tell you exactly what you want to hear, then once you are in, everything they state is not reality. Very frustrated with the interview process. It was very easy, just simple conversations, however the dishonesty led to my employment and a waste of real opportunities for other positions that I was merely interested in. DO NOT tell them you are interviewing at other companies. They will make it sound like they know everything about every other corporation, and 'sell' how M&M is "the real deal". Please, every one that works there is miserable.

Interview Questions

• How much money do you want to make?   1 Answer

SalesProgram Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap in January 2016.

Interview

Met with the sales manager at the local office and he asked me some light questions about my background, followed by a crash course on the training program and the cycle of the position. Once the interview was concluded I was told that I would receive an assessment by email to take and the second interview would be scheduled once completed.

Interview Questions

• What about you makes you want to be involved in commercial real estate?   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Irvine, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very comfortable. I was referred to the position and interviewed at off hours. As I was a college student, I did not brush up on my interview etiquette, but the interviewers were patient with me.

Investment Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Miami, FL) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied online and submitted my resume. I called them back about two days later to follow up, and they told me they liked my resume and that I should come in for an informational meeting.
    I went to a meeting where they explained various aspects of the job and spoke to us a bit. They said that they would be reaching out to us following the interviews. Rather than wait, I decided to call the next day and arrange an interview. After that I went to meet with the Regional Manager of the office, as well as several Associates throughout the course of a week. After this I had a final meeting with the Regional Manager where my hire was confirmed.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever cold called? Describe your sales experience? Why do you want to sell real estate?   Answer Question

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

Interview

Applied online and got a call to do an in-person interview just days after. When I went into the office, the man that interviewed me had this very cocky attitude. He told me that it was a predominantly male industry and that as a pretty girl I was better off just being a secretary. He wanted to set me up with an interview to be a secretary instead of a broker. I had never felt so insulted.

Administrative Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Tampa, FL) in October 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, in person interview, team lead interview, team support interview; Had 4 interviews including personality assessment and computer skills. Interviewed with 2 teams as well and was able to choose my team. Everyone was wonderful. The teams are very well organized. Everyone there seems very happy with their jobs. Very professional office. Great opportunity

Interview Questions

• Why real estate; long term goals; expected income goals; and they offered me a career track   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate and came to an agreement. Long term potential appears to be there