Maricopa County (Arizona) Environmental Health Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Maricopa County (Arizona) Environmental Health Specialist Interview Questions

Interviews at Maricopa County (Arizona)

1 Interview Review

2.0

Environmental Health Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Maricopa County (Arizona).

Interview

I applied online the night before the closing date of the application. Maricopa County uses a great third-party source called governmentjobs.com to do the applications. This website is very nice because it accurately keeps a track of the status of your application, along with accessing your application and job description at any point in time. All of the job postings for the county are on there also, whereas before it was just on their own website.

Four weeks after applying I received an email from HR asking if I can come in for an interview a week later, which I accepted. The interview was a panel with three supervisors. When I arrived for the interview I met one of the panel members beforehand and was asked to sign a couple more papers before going through the interview. One of the papers was asking if I agreed to the posted pay range, if I am willing to work nights and weekends, and if I consented to a background check. The other paper was the job posting, which I was allowed to review for a few minutes before being called into the interview room.

The interview itself was 30 minutes long. At the very beginning, they described some of the benefits (11.5% of pre-tax pay is required to go to ASRS and if I still was ok with the pay range) that I may be wearing PPE and working in uncomfortable environments, and asked if I was ok with these. Then the rest of the interview was skill-based questions, almost solely based on teamwork, collaboration, and how to handle difficult people.

Towards the end of the interview each of the three panel members gave a brief description of five areas the Environmental Health Specialists work in and how these areas were organized. Like food vs. pool inspections. They then ask you to rank these five areas from most preferable to least preferable. I recommend to people interviewing in this department to review these areas ahead of time before going to the interview, so you have a better foundation on what you'd like to do in your job. I was then told that they would run a background check on me, that could take several weeks, and they would contact me after the background check was completed.

Two weeks later I received a call from one of the panel members with a verbal job offer at $XX per hour, to which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you had to deal with a difficult client. How did you handle this situation?   Answer Question