Marin Software Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Marin Software

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Marin Software (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

First was a phone interview with the recruiter. Beyond a couple standard resume questions, she asked a list of engineering questions, but as a recruiter she couldn't give any help. Most of them were pretty straightforward such as difference between abstract class and interface, what is 4 left-shift 2 XOR 2, what is the value of a number with all bits as 0 except the leftmost one, and explain a TreeMap. A couple were a little more vague such as what methods do you have to implement to make the object properly comparable, but still pretty easy.

Next was a technical phone interview with an engineer. The only official coding question I got was given 2 sets, determine if the second set is a subset of the first. However, from there as I explained my optimizations with a HashSet, he began asking more detailed questions about how a HashSet in implemented. That was all we really covered.

Final step was an on-sight interview with 4 successive engineers. 3 of them all asked me coding questions I had to write on the board, from standard tree questions, to simply getting the 10 greatest numbers in a list. Most of them were fairly easy, but often were worded strangely and clarification was often needed. 1 engineer asked me a completely design based question without any coding.

Interview Questions

• Given a huge set of data in a list, say GB worth, how do you find the nth largest element?

I just wasn't sure what the point of the question was. It had nothing to do with distributed systems, map reduce, or anything, as the question's emphasis on large data seemed to suggest. The interviewer insisted you just had a normal machine with all the data there. Basically just turned into a standard find the nth larges element question. No idea if I approached it right, as the interviewer gave very little feedback.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Marin Software.

Interview

In process:

First interview was more about me, the recruiter, the company, and basic data structures/algorithms.
    About to take a technical interview with the engineers

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marin Software.

Interview

Job requirements vaguely defined. Really have to use imagination to determine what the job will be and ask questions accordingly. Company seems to be going through revolving door process. Disconnect between what is needed and required for the company to move forward. Work environment seems to be politically challenged. It seems the company is top heavy management.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview. Nothing out of the ordinary asked. However, from responses one can determine the company is challenged with providing professional growth.   Answer Question

Biz Dev Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Marin Software (Austin, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

6 interviews. From a phone call all the way to a role playing exercise for a panel. After making it through the process there are background checks and reference checks as well.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between sales and marketing?

Who are Marin Software's target audience and who would we absolutely not be able to serve?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Marin Software (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Someone from HR contacted me fairly quickly after I applied for this position. Judging from her LinkedIn profile, she was a well-seasoned recruiter that was highly recommended.

We step up a time for a 30 minute phone screening. I waited but I did not receive a call. I followed up and the HR contact apologized, saying she mistakenly put the time in her calendar for 2 hours after what we had confirmed. Ok, honest mistake, not a big deal.

We re-confirmed the same day for the time she initially had in her calendar. That time came and went. 30 minutes later, I received a voice mail that her previous meeting ran over and if we can reschedule. Ok, that's understandable. People are busy, this happens.

I followed up by voicemail and email to provide my availability to re-re-reschedule. I never heard back.

Marin Software Response

Jan 15, 2015 – Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Hello and thank you so much for sharing your experience here. Apologies for only seeing this review now; we are very disappointed to read about this. The first half of 2014 we were going through some... More

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Marin Software (Austin, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Was referred by a friend who worked there. I was reached out to by a recruiter named Elizabeth who was great and just asked basic screening questions. After that I had a brief phone interview with my direct manager who asked me basic questions about my background in sales and what I knew about the digital marketing industry. Finally had an onsite interview with the manager of the sales team, BDR Director, and VP of inside sales. All pretty standard questions about previous performance, future goals, sales methodology etc.

Interview Questions

• What happens when you Google something?
      Whats the best sales story you have from your history?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marin Software in May 2014.

Interview

1 phone interview (coding) + 3 rounds face 2 face, took about 2 weeks.

Questions are all easy, can be found in leetcode. However, there are some tough behavior questions regarding your career plan.

I also asked how they made money and seems they had no idea about their future. Besides, the work they are doing everyday seems boring: use search engine APIs to support more market places, localization, etc.

I asked what's the most challenging work they face, and they told me to support more ad websites, support foreign websites, etc.

So basically their future work is to enhance the existing product to support more ad site in global regions.

Interview Questions

• Questions are mostly easy ones, all can be found in leetcode. Some behavior questions asked by the last manager about your career plan.   Answer Question

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marin Software (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I only give this a negative experience because the recruiter was a bit disrespectful. He called me by the wrong name during email correspondences. On-site interview itself actually went very well, I even had an impromptu meeting with the CFO. Everyone I spoke to was pretty easy going. However, after the interview process was over, the recruiter sent me a generic "thanks, but no thanks" message from a no-reply email. It felt a bit disrespectful seeing as far as I had gotten in the interview process, especially because I had to take over a half day off from my own work schedule.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you researched an accounting pronouncement and the result of your findings.   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marin Software (Austin, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

You will need to go through an initial phone interview with a recruiter, and sit through two additional interviews with the hiring managers, either in person or over the phone.

Interview Questions

• The questions will range from technical to subjective personality fit questions. Knowledge of CRMs is invaluable in this role, and ability to effectively and efficiently prospect for new business is an integral piece of the job. Hiring managers may also ask subjective questions to understanding how the candidate would best fit in with our existing team and company culture. Question may be "List 5 adjectives that you would use to describe yourself."   Answer Question

Solutions Architect Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marin Software in August 2017.

Interview

I went through two over the phone interviews. The first interview went very well. The second interview was another story. I interviewed with a current Solutions Architect. He was supposed to ask questions to determine level my understanding on a few technical topics. Problem solving is the biggest strength, which is backed by my experience and resume. However when I spoke to this SA he belittled my answers, explained that how HE would have answered that question. When it comes to problem solving there is actually more than one method, so for anyone to assume that 'their way' is the best is a bit egotistical. I already work with men that posses this same attitude, therefor, I am glad I did not pass on to the next interview. If other SA's and employees are similar in character then I am grateful I did not end up at this company. I really do believe that it makes a significant difference on whom conducts interviews. At Marin, perhaps someone is a more open minded and less chauvinistic should be conducting interviews.

Interview Questions

• Explain your problem Solving approach   1 Answer