Marin Software Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Marin Software Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Marin Software

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marin Software (San Francisco, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

1st round: phone screening taken by non technical person. She had list of few questions.
1. Why Collections.sort doesnt work for Set.
2. What exceptions would you caught when converting string to integer.
3. Collections.sort running time.
4. Describe one of your project.

Interview Questions

• Why Collections.sort doesnt work for Set.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Marin Software

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marin Software (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Apply through university career website.
    First round 30 minutes behavior interview. just talk about the resume and some basic data structure and algorithm questions. such as difference between set and list, Iterator, etc.. Second round is share-screen coding. Didn't do well in this technical interview, but the interviewer is pretty nice.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone interview Round 1... The HR just asked me to talk about my project experiences and some basic java questions.. such as the difference of TreeMap and HashMap, the time complexity of insertion. The only method Iterable interface has.. Exception types.. Then she is going to arrange the next round..

Interview Questions

• The only method Iterable interface has   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marin Software (San Francisco, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

HR Screen - Phone interviews * 2 - 4 rounds of onsite interviews.
    The interview process is pretty smooth and I feel unexpectedly satisfied. First step is HR screen. HR will ask some general technical questions but nothing hard. Second step is two rounds of phone interviews - questions can be found in either leetcode or cc150 (all are same questions). Onsite is four rounds of interviews (I know people also got 3 or 5 rounds depending on specific performance). Questions are not hard but some of them need extra efforts. The interviewers are smart and extremely nice. They are very collaborative.

Interview Questions

• Calculate network size (pretty like word ladder + edit distance), LRU cache, string calculator, e.g. (input: "1 + 10 * 5 + 4", output "55").   Answer Question

Negotiation

Nothing to negotiate, the offer package is pretty nice.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Marin Software (San Francisco, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

A HR interview with some java concept questions followed by two phone interviews. One is about find duplications within 0-n. The other asked about classic 2 sum and find median of two sorted lists. Hours later they invited to onsite. onsite is four round 1:1 interviews., write on white board. Except some very traditional questions which can be found on Leetcode, there are also some design and open-to-discuss questions. Over all, it's a rather pleasant interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected, the whole interview process is nice and smooth.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They just offer me a base that more than I expected, so accept it

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marin Software.

Interview

Phone interview took around 30 minutes, asked two coding questions

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marin Software in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online - got an HR screen a week later. Cleared it easily - just simple OOPS concepts and a couple of time complexity questions. Nothing out of the ordinary .

Next comes the technical phone screen, with coderpad. Not very friendly I must admit, she just asked if I had it open , after saying hello, and she asked me to find duplicates in a list. Simple enough, I gave her 3 solutions, in O(n^2), O(nlogn) and O(n), with clear explanation as to how I arrived at the time complexity.

Next, she said what if I had 50 trillion data entries - immutable and no additional data structures . I thought and said I'd hash it, use a multiset, and fumbled around a bit. Cost me the entire interview. But I kept asking her more details, gave her a couple of explanations about the hashcode method , overriding it, using XOR - all the stuff I could think of.

Got a reject a day later. Sigh.

Interview Questions

• I guess it would be the additional constraints on the array of integers being immutable. That and the fact that it should run in linear time.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Marin Software in January 2014.

Interview

The interviewer was a Senior Software Engineer in Marin Software. First talk about two interns experience in the resume, asked about some details. Then code on line. The question was that, the input is a stream of string(word), return the word list with the highest frequency. Talk about the time complexity. And finally is question time.

Interview Questions

• some change was made based on what i have coded, then asked about the time complexity again.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marin Software (San Francisco, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Date vs calendar
    long vs object long
    what is abstract class, how do you instantiate it ?
    int vs integer for counting number of times for loop runs
    worst case node addition time in BST
    hashmap node addition time
    hashmap methods - name any 7 of them
    what is a final class
    difference between private vs protected keywords
    difference between list and set

Interview Questions

• what do you know about the company, describe industry exp.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Marin Software (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

First was a phone interview with the recruiter. Beyond a couple standard resume questions, she asked a list of engineering questions, but as a recruiter she couldn't give any help. Most of them were pretty straightforward such as difference between abstract class and interface, what is 4 left-shift 2 XOR 2, what is the value of a number with all bits as 0 except the leftmost one, and explain a TreeMap. A couple were a little more vague such as what methods do you have to implement to make the object properly comparable, but still pretty easy.

Next was a technical phone interview with an engineer. The only official coding question I got was given 2 sets, determine if the second set is a subset of the first. However, from there as I explained my optimizations with a HashSet, he began asking more detailed questions about how a HashSet in implemented. That was all we really covered.

Final step was an on-sight interview with 4 successive engineers. 3 of them all asked me coding questions I had to write on the board, from standard tree questions, to simply getting the 10 greatest numbers in a list. Most of them were fairly easy, but often were worded strangely and clarification was often needed. 1 engineer asked me a completely design based question without any coding.

Interview Questions

• Given a huge set of data in a list, say GB worth, how do you find the nth largest element?

I just wasn't sure what the point of the question was. It had nothing to do with distributed systems, map reduce, or anything, as the question's emphasis on large data seemed to suggest. The interviewer insisted you just had a normal machine with all the data there. Basically just turned into a standard find the nth larges element question. No idea if I approached it right, as the interviewer gave very little feedback.   1 Answer