Marketo Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Marketo Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2017

2.9

Critical Accounts Manager Interview

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Marketo.

Interview

They contacted me within hours of receiving my resume to have me take next steps. The next steps were to complete the CCAT and personality test. Important note on the CCAT: it's a timed test, and there was no obvious means of opting out or choosing a disability option without disclosing a disability to HR upfront. That felt problematic. In that I was not passed beyond this level of the interview stage - and I've done this job for several years so it wasn't my skills that were an issue - I don't know if I could have performed better by disclosing a disability. The whole 'interview' experience put me off Marketo.

Interview Questions

• All members of the band went to see the orchestra.
      Susan went to see the orchestra.
      Is Susan in the band?
      Yes / No / Uncertain   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marketo.

Interview

They wanted me to take a cognitive aptitude test online, which under normal circumstances I would be fine with. However, the test requires bizarre and invasive anti-cheating measures: You must give an exam proctor access to your webcam and microphone, and install remote desktop software so that they can view your screen.

This is frankly a dumb way to hire people for multiple reasons, especially in the field of software engineering, and I declined to proceed with the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Give us access to your computer   1 Answer

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marketo (Santa Clara, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Was given a Cognitive CAT test that contained 50 questions to be solved in 15 mins. This was followed by a Personality Assessment quiz.

The test was monitored by a proctor. So I had install a plugin that gave them full access to operate my computer remotely. Also wecam and mic had to be on to proceed with the interview.

Interview Questions

• Seemed more like IQ questions than technical Software questions.   Answer Question

Director of Product Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marketo in July 2017.

Interview

Talked to the recruiter who said the first step is to take a cognitive assessment test. I found the cognitive test to be unreasonable. It's under ridiculously short time constraints. It's not a proper way to begin a relationship between a candidate and an employer. I had heard prior to their acquisition that the culture at Marketo was poor and with their acquisition by a private equity firm, it just seems to have gotten worse. There are so many tech companies to work for so ask yourself if you really want to work for one that treats candidates like lab rats.

Recruiter Interview

Interview

I applied online, and got an email about 2 weeks later inviting me to take an assessment. No big deal.

The assessment required me to download Bomgar and let the proctor remote into my machine and start poking around my desktop to make sure I didn't have a calculator open. I immediately closed it down and quit the assessment.

What a terrible first impression on a candidate. It's one thing if you're applying for a job with the CIA or something, but there is no need to let someone remote into your computer to ensure you're not cheating. That just shows they don't trust anyone.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marketo (Denver, CO).

Interview

CCAT test, Personality test, 2 phone interviews, 4 video chats. Very quick process! 1 week total. Very eager to chat and get things moving. Trying very hard to build out the Denver office quickly!

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marketo in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online and about 2 weeks later a recruiter emailed asking if I would like to move forward and interview. YES, that's why I applied. I received an email from the recruiter stating I would need to take an online assessment as the first step. As other reviewers have posted, in order to complete the assessment, you must give an exam proctor access to your computer webcam and microphone so that they can view you while you take two exams.

This is a lazy and ineffective way to recruit. There is no initial phone call with a recruiter, it's just straight to an online assessment where you're watched by a proctor.

Interview Questions

• Would you like to take an assessment as the first step in the recruiting process   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marketo (San Mateo, CA).

Interview

The hiring process at Marketo is a bit odd, but I had a relatively positive experience. I applied online and received a response from a recruiter several weeks later. The CCAT wasn't bad at all. My application was loosely handed at first (the recruiter would set a time for a call and miss it, so it took a couple retries), but as soon as I moved forward in the process, things became much more serious and organized. The most difficult part of the process was the on-site interview, which consisted of five separate 45-min interviews. Everyone was friendly and it was a positive experience overall, but it was exhausting and in my opinion not really necessary for the position level I was applying for. I received an offer letter two days later. It took about 2 weeks from my first phone screening to my offer, and I appreciated that they moved me along in the process very quickly.

Interview Questions

• What companies would you like to work for in the Silicon Valley?   Answer Question

IT Support Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marketo (Denver, CO) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online and heard back from an internal recruiter about 2 weeks later. I had a 15 minute phone call with him, then they had me take a personality and aptitude test.

This took about 1 hour on a Saturday and felt very invasive as they required remote access to my computer and camera to ensure I wasn't cheating. It's kind of an IQ test that's heavy on math, spacial reasoning, and basic grammar.

Apparently I passed that test (they wouldn't tell me the results), so I had a 1 hour phone call with the position's manager. I thought it went really well and he said I'd be hearing back from the internal recruiter again, but they never got back to me.

I'd invested about 4 hours into this interview so far, so I reached out to the recruiter every 4-5 days for a couple of weeks. Each time he told me he'd get back to me soon, then I got a message from the head recruiter saying the original guy was no longer there. After that I was bounced between two other recruiters and no one would provide any further information. Finally I emailed the position's manager again and he would not respond. In retrospect it looks like they just stop responding after they've decided not to hire you instead of just letting you know.

Overall this was a frustrating experience. The phone calls went smoothly, but then they just stopped responding. The aptitude test was a uniquely stupid thing to make people take so early in the hiring process and I almost didn't pursue the position when they told me about it. My impression of Marketo is that they have enough money and new applicants that they can treat people like crap and don't care about other people's time.

Interview Questions

• You have to complete this aptitude test to proceed.   1 Answer

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marketo (Denver, CO) in May 2017.

Interview

2 phone interviews then a 4 person video interview, each of which was 45 minutes (3 hours total). I made it through 3 rounds of interviews and then they completely ghosted me. I emailed/called the recruiter multiple times, as well as another woman I was in contact there to have all of my efforts to get in contact with them ignored.

I understand that in recruiting you are probably busy and dealing with a lot of candidates, but it is really reprehensible for recruiters to completely blow off a candidate that has gotten this far in the interview process. I don't care that I didn't get an offer- all I was looking for was a definitive "yes" or "no" and they couldn't even give me that. It's really a shame that this seems to be the norm for some recruiters.