Marks Paneth Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Updated May 1, 2017

2.5

Audit Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Marks Paneth (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I entered the interview process through my university after being selected for an on campus interview. 1-2 weeks later I was asked to come in for a second interview in the NYC office where I met other candidates for other intern positions. I met with a senior in the nonprofit group and a partner in the wealth management group. Both interviews went very smooth where it was more of a conversation getting to know more about me and my ambitions. Overall experience was great and after the interview, we were treated to lunch with the HR managers and our "Marks Paneth buddies". 3-4 weeks later heard back and was offer position in my desired group.

Interview Questions

• Name 10 characteristics about yourself?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about yourself?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Marks Paneth (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

Overall the interviewing process was pretty laid back and well organized. I learned about the company from one of my classmates that is currently working there. I then applied to their on-campus interviews. One of the main differences between Marks Paneth and other firms that I have interviewed with is that they actually send a partner out on their on-campus interviews. Many other firms and companies just send their HR over especially for the first round interviews. The partner I was interviewing with actually had a sheet with columns and spaces to check off and fill out my responses with, which made me a little nervous. However, the interview during my first round was still pretty conversational and the partner I had really seemed to listen to everything I was saying and had to ask. I received an email just two days later inviting me in for the next round of interviews at their New York City office. I was given multiple dates to choose from which was nice since I had other firms that I had to visit as well. The HR department assigns you a buddy with whom you can chat about and ask any questions to throughout the day as well as a schedule to follow. The day begins with a power point presentation and follows with your interviews either with partners or managers. It was nice because I got to interview with someone from the audit section and someone from their financial advisory section as well. After interviews they take you and the other interviewees out to lunch. Immediately following this back at the office they then ask you which section of the firm you are interested in, i.e. tax, audit - commercial, real estate, not for profit, along with other offers and your deadline to accept. Everyone I interacted with was very friendly and sincere!

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marks Paneth (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

On Campus Recruiting

First round on campus with a Partner.

Received an email from HR regarding second round within a few days.
    Given multiple dates to choose from.
    Also asked regarding preference to tax or audit.
    Asked dietary preferences.

Second round was 9:30 - 2:00 pm. We first were introduced to other associates (which would be our buddies for the day just like the big 4). Were then taken to a conference room and shown a power point highlighting aspects of the firm. Given a schedule regarding how the day will go by and with whom you will be interviewing with. Around 11 the buddies brought us to the first interview, a Partner within tax or audit depending on what you chose when you replied to the second round interview email. Partner asked more technical questions why audit or tax? Walked through your resume. Then were taken to second interview with manager. Manager interview was more conversational. I had the opportunity to ask questions about the firm. The senior and partner interviews were also conversational and seemed like they really wanted to get to know you. "What do you like to do during your spare time?" Understood that we were all students and assured us that we would be properly trained.
    After that was lunch where we spent time asking the associates how their experiences at MP were. They also have overtime policy which is always a plus in the accounting industry.
    Last leg of the process was sitting with HR reviewing all offers and deadlines you had.
    And any other questions about the firm.

Marks Paneth was highly organized compared to the other firms I had interviewed with.

I received an offer the next day after the second round.

Interview Questions

• Very straightforward. Partner was carrying the conversation well, not overwhelming or scary at all. Basic questions like tell me about yourself.
      Why did you choose accounting?
      CPA (have you taken it? are you studying? if yes, how many parts?)
      One way you overcame a difficult task in life.
      Answer Question

A Senior Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks Paneth (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

I had an interview meeting a few people and was told I would be meeting more people asap. I thought it went well especially coming from the industry. I received a note after saying I will be scheduled the next week. I did not hear anything and followed up, no response back. I waited another week and checked in to see if I was still a candidate, still no response. I have never been treated disrepectful like that. I wish recruiters would have the courtesy just to respond even if you aren't being considered. I have worked at E&Y for years and their HR department does not operate that way. They really need to learn proper manners. If I am not treated well as a candidate will let other people I know that I was treated poorly.

Audit Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks Paneth (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Very simple interview process. I met recruiter at Career Fair and kept in touch. At the end of summer I noticed a job posting for Marks Paneth and reached out to recruiter I had been in contact with. We scheduled an interview which was very straightforward.

Accounting Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marks Paneth (New York, NY).

Interview

I filled out a application and was contacted to have a interview with hiring personnel. She was very cordial, standard questions on experience, problem solving skills and aspirations for the future.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to provide two specific cases on problem solving that I wasn't ready for.   Answer Question

I decided I didn't want to pursue a accounting career.

Audit Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Marks Paneth (New York, NY).

Interview

Pretty straight forward, got the interview on a referral. No trick questions, someone from HR just kind of goes through your resume and asks about your experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate

Proofreader Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marks Paneth (New York, NY) in December 2012.

Interview

I was recommended by a Full-time, Senior Proofreader, who forwarded my Resume and interest in the Part-time Proofreader position. This information was sent to Ms. Amy Hart, HR department. After contact with Ms.Hart, she arranged the initial interview with the Head Accountant, Quality Review Department, Mr. William Stocker; and Accountant, Mr. Howard Becker. After the initial interview, there was a second and final meeting, where I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• What previous experience have you had, that would enable you to be successful as a Proofreader, in our Quality Review department?   1 Answer

Accounting and Tax Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marks Paneth (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

It was a very laid back interview. Met with both HR personnel as they reviewed my resume and told me about the job. I was expecting more but it was just a casual chat about what I have done so far and what the job consisted of.

Interview Questions

• How do your past experiences help or are going to help you in this specific job field.   Answer Question

Negotiation

n/a

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks Paneth (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

Very short and sweet, I strongly agree with their procedures, they are not biased on the interview.