Marks & Spencer Customer Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Marks & Spencer Customer Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2017

2.6

Anonymous Employee in Saint Helens, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Saint Helens, OR) in November 2014.

Interview

Appied on line was told straight away I was succesful was given an interview for mon 3/11/2014 I was told straight away I had passed the assessment they took my bank details ect recived a call this morning 05/11/2014 saying I had got the job

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Marks & Spencer

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester, England (UK)).

Interview

Automated Phone interview asking basic questions and answer by pressing the dial numbers.
    In store interview, role play as a customer assistant, then one to one with a manager. again, basic questions.

Interview Questions

• Role play o, how to deal with a customer while you were doing something already.   1 Answer

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester, England (UK)).

Interview

I originally applied online which involved a short quiz on the customer service role and two different assessments. They will tell you if you have passed or not once you have completed the assessments. If successful, you can then arrange an interview assessment in store.
    I arrived to my assessment today and was taken upstairs. Was waiting around 20 minutes until I was called in. The assessment started with a role play in which I was given some information and had to plan my role play when the women entered the store. I provided all the information I could, but the women came back and told me I was unsuccessful as I forgot to mention an item which was ridiculous. I have previously worked in retail and have experience, but the fact that I did not even get the opportunity to show my skills was terrible. Never again will I be applying to this company.

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Had to fill in an online situational assessment initially was fairly straightforward. Next I was called in for a interview which consisted of standard interview questions - why m and s, when have you displayed our values etc? So be sure to look up on them as they may ask you. I then had to do a short role play with the manager where they pretended to be a customer and I was given some options of available products on the card. Heard back within a couple of days that I had got the job.

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

The first stage was an online assessment - this was fairly easy and once I had passed this all I had to do was book a store interview interview, which I booked for the next day.
    The in-store interview was not at all intimidating, and all the staff were lovely. There were two parts to the interview, (you have to pass the first half to continue on to the next half) and I had 2 staff members assessing me for the first half. They were both very friendly and made me feel comfortable very quickly. The first part of the interview was a role play. I was given cards detailing what to do, (such as my role at the store, the scenario, products, promotions etc.) and then 5 minutes to read through them. Then one of my assessors come in and sat down to write notes, and the other one came in to be the 'customer'. It was all pretty easy and I recommend to just make sure you're really smiley and friendly, and make sure you read the cards properly - ensure you mention the promotions, and if you get the same one I did, (which was a food one,) make sure you remember what items are out of stock as they expect you to pick a suitable substitute, (so just look for similar ingredients etc.,) and make sure you up sale other items.
    I passed the first stage and I then had a one on one interview with a manager, who was also very lovely. He asked me around 8 questions, which were all pretty easy and just require basic common sense to be honest. After I had answered all the questions, he went to confer with the first 2 assessors, who then came back and told me I had got the job!
    Overall the whole process was quite pleasant, (for an interview!) and although the interview itself was quite long (around 1 1/2 hours) to overall process was very quick compared to other employers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you inspired people   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you showed integrity (i.e. been honest, done the right thing)   1 Answer
    • Describe your journey here this morning   1 Answer
    • What do you think the role will entail?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about your previous retail experience - why did you leave your last job?   1 Answer

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Online Test initilaly, was told I had passed this and then had to book an interview slot online.
    Initial interview to discuss availability and the available shift patterns.
    Role play to help a customer. She was looking for something that was out of stock and you had to give alternatives etc.
    Interivew with manager asking questions about the 4 Is of the M&S values and general questions about myself.

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in December 2016.

Interview

It took about 60mins to go through a on-site interview.

It consisted a brief telling you what to expect, 5min reading of 4 cards and an instruction and a role play.

After that, the store manager came in asking a few general questions and then let you to fill in a form to write down your ideal shift patterns. They will adjust to best your needs which is very generous.

It was a Friday interview, I was told to wait their call on Monday to tell me when to start the job.

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

I came to the customer service desk where I signed in. Few minutes later the guy came and invited all candidates to a room. First part of the interview was role play. We listened while he read what is we are expected to do onfirst part of interview and also, he read about imaginary company, it's products/services..... Then he left the roon leaving me a 3 pieces of paper. There were pictures of different kind of food: selection of andwiches, wraps, Pies, bagels, chicken drumsticks, indian food, drinks, fruit and profiteroles. One page has information on availability of each product type: high, medium and low. Last page had list of stores and their phone numbers. I think I did a mistake, I tried to memorise all types of sandwiches, fillings, types of fruit, etc (which you really don't need to). Then I looked at key infirmation about availability, if product can be ordered online. My customer was organising a party for his family and he asked what was available? I basically offered everything. Then he asked if he can order to a store near his house and gave me his area name. I quickly looked at the address list and found the shop in that area and said yes. In the end of a role play, I wrote in a paper how did I think I did during the role play, what didn't go well and what would i do different next time. The guy left and manager of one department came to ask few questions. Overall, both interviewers were friendly and nice.

Interview Questions

• Describe a the situation you inspired others?
      Describe a time where you saw a problem and reported it (basically, bad customer service experience )?
      What m&s customers expect from M&S?
      How did you get to the shop this morning. Describe your journey ?
      What customer service experience do you have?
      Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clapham, London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Clapham, London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Initial assessment (written) with multiple choice answers to a number of possible scenarios. Follow up role play interview where I was given 10 minutes and some fake product and offer information, followed by a customer who wanted an out of stock item that I had to place an order for them and try to promote an offer alongside the sale. Final interview with common interview questions

Interview Questions

• Why M&S? A time you have shown integrity or innovation or inspired someone?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very quick and simple

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in August 2016.

Interview

Staff was super friendly and lovely. The interview was split into two sections, one was role play between you as a customer assistant and a customer, the other section was an "informal" chat with the manager. My advice for the role play section would be to just throw yourself into it, stand up pretend to look through items in the store. Just be confident, friendly and apologise for when you don't have things in stock. For the second half, it helped that I could reference my previous retail experience and my experience at university etc.