Marks & Spencer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 22, 2017

2.6

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Helens, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Saint Helens, OR) in November 2014.

Interview

Appied on line was told straight away I was succesful was given an interview for mon 3/11/2014 I was told straight away I had passed the assessment they took my bank details ect recived a call this morning 05/11/2014 saying I had got the job

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

Interview involved questions about my background education and customer service experience. I was then asked to do a role play exercise where I was the shop assistant and the interviewer was the customer. Bit embarrassing but not too difficult.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester, England (UK)).

Interview

Really easy process - a short online form, followed by a telephone interview the following working day and an interview a couple of days later. I was told I got the job the same day, so it took exactly a week from submitting an application to actually confirming I'd gotten the job. Both the recruitment colleagues I dealt with were really lovely and down to earth as was the manager who interviewed me. After the interview had finished I got a tour of the building I'd be working in which was really nice!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had completed a piece of work and wished you had done something differently   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had met a difficult target   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me about something that you like from another retail store (not M&S) that sets it apart in a the market   Answer Question
    • What does the brand of M&S mean to you?   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bromley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Bromley, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Successfully completed that and done a role play test online which was very straight forward. I then got invited for an interview straight away for the following week. My interview was very sour with the interviewee barely saying hello. I then got left too fill out a basic form name,experience,availability etc. I was then put onto the shop floor where I was assessed on customer interaction. Baring in mind I had no knowledge of the department and didnt have a uniform on so nobody approached me. We then returned upstairs where I had too fill out a form about what went well, if I could do it again etc. She didnt even read it and simply said we couldnt proceed with the interview as I wasnt good enough.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Interview split into three parts, the first part was to head out on to the shop floor and put together three full outfits and then talk about them. Second part was a floor walk talking about various displays, the third part was an actually one to one interview about me adn my experience.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Northampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Northampton, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Online application and questioning online before invited to interview. Interview involved a 10 minute role play with 5 mins prep time where information given. Interviewer supportive and gives prompts. Then told if passed role play and feedback given before interview. Interview focused on the 4I's and your view of the role of a sales assistant. Was offered job on the day.

Customer Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bracknell, England (UK)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Bracknell, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Initially you have to spend some time on the website, the first thing is a "most likely" & "least likely" type questionnaire, where you have to use 5 points per page to high light what one is most like you & which is least. You then have a series of scenario videos &, after each one, have to select the option which would best describe what you would do in that situation. The basically try to help you decide whether or not you would be suitable to work for M&S &, once completed, you get invited to an initial assessment day.
    Firstly you have to take part in a role play. It's quite straight forward, you're given 5 minute to read through a brief description of the company you're "working" for, to look at some prop cards & to jot down some notes. After that, someone comes in to assess you & another person comes in, straight in character. You basically just have to tend to the "customer" - you're allowed to use the prop cards to assist you with it. All I had to do was approach the customer, ask if she could do with any help, suggest what item of clothing she should go for (the one she originally wanted wasn't available in her size), up sell another item of clothing which was on offer & then try to finish off the outfit by showing her some shoes. The customer has specific requirements though, so make sure you listen to them in order to make the right suggestions for their needs.
    Once that's done you get taken into another room by someone else & are asked a series of questions. Make sure you look up the 4 I's (Inspiration, Innovation, Intouch & Integrity) as they'll ask you to give examples of when you've shown all of those - preferably in a work environment! Then it's just basic questions about experience etc. Unfortunately they don't actually check your CV, so if you lack retail experience, they won't offer you a job, but will still interview... Whole process took around 1 hour.

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester, England (UK)).

Interview

Automated Phone interview asking basic questions and answer by pressing the dial numbers.
    In store interview, role play as a customer assistant, then one to one with a manager. again, basic questions.

Interview Questions

• Role play o, how to deal with a customer while you were doing something already.   1 Answer

Warehouse Operative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ipswich, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Ipswich, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Well I thought that I applied for Customer Assistant with more tham 30 hours/week and when I arrived there they told me that actually they have the warehouse operative with only 26 hours/ week. I was disappointed but I said I can go on to see how is an interview with them. They show me first the stock room and chiller and showed me how to arrange things after that we went to a tour in the shop and after that we came back to some old office ( I think) and they( I forogot to say that there where 2 people the manager and some coordonator or someting like that) put me to arrange some products how I think I should arrange them well you have to arrange after some criteria like date and if they have to stay in chilled place or not and after that they put me in 2 situation and answer to that. After I answered they said than they need a minute to score my answers and it turned that I arrnage the products well but I didn't answer well to the questions anyway I didn't want the job. I think that job is more more for men or women who can lift heavy things, I can not do that.

Interview Questions

• One of the questions were: If you just have a deivery and the manager call you to tell you that they need some help stocking up because it's really busy and in exactly in the same moment one of your collegues tell you that is some milk spilled all over. What are you doing?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in April 2017.

Interview

Did the online questionnaire and I immediately got an email asking me to come to an interview the next day.

The interview involved a role play in which I had to try and sell a meal deal to the interviewer. Luckily I researched this online before my interview, so I sort of knew what to expect. The interviewer was friendly and open so I didn't feel intimidated.

The interviewer left the room and came back in about 5 minutes later with another manager and they offered me the job, before asking basic questions about availability, etc. Quickest hiring process I've ever experienced!

Interview Questions

• Which form of transport will you/did you use to get here?   Answer Question