Marks & Spencer Sales Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Marks & Spencer Sales Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Feb 15, 2017

2.6

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Online questions then a role play and interview. The questions online were fairly standard. The role play was easy, I had to help a customer who needed certain items but we were out of stock.

Interview Questions

• General questions. Asked about the 4 I's in the core values.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in December 2016.

Interview

Role play as customer assistant. They give you 5 minutes to read through a short booklet which provides you with the relevant information to perform the role play. Had to give customer alternative options when the item they wanted was not in stock.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)).

Interview

I had a phone interview which was easy enough. Simple multi choice questions related to customer service. This was followed by a face to face interview. The face to face interview was very intimidating. Two women were interviewing me and it felt more like an interrogation. There was a role play that seemed completely irrelevant to the job I was applying for. Didn't feel comfortable at all

Customer Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Sheffield, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Was fairly straight forward and within the hour I had completed the assessment and booked an interview.

Arrived and was all a bit confusing re signing in and finding the interviewer. Interview was conducted by a lady reading off of a template sheet of paper with questions and boxes to write my answer in.

She said I got the job there and then.

Then handed over all the info they needed BUT they did not accept drivers license as a form of ADDRESS ID. Got extremely lucky as my bank is next door so popped in and got proof of address.

Start my first induction tomorrow and second induction the day after. Very very very nervous. Only 17 but anyway. Yeah, interview was fairly straight forward but still nerve racking.

Shop looked absolutely f***** rammed so god knows how I'm going to cope on my first day when I know nothing. So scared and nervous.

Interview Questions

• When did you receive poor customer service and what would I do differently   1 Answer
    • How did you deal with an angered customer   1 Answer
    • What makes you want to work here   1 Answer

Negotiation

Don't know what this means but we talked about my hours, was all confusing but just said yes to everything really. Sh**** myself

Customer Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied for the job online. I had to undergo a test about different scenarios on customer service/sales.
    After passing the test booked an interview. Different slots are available. U just have to choose accordingly.
    I went for the interview and the first part of the interview was general questions about why you want to work for the company and your experiences and about yourself.

2nd part of interview case was a role play where the interviewer came up as a customer and i was the customer sales assistant.
    All went well.

Temporary Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Applied online, a long process applying online due to various tests and sorts. If you pass the online screenings you pick an interview time. Interview was quite difficult mainly scenario based questions however the staff I met were lovely. I was told I had the job there and then and that I would get a call in the next few days. Many weeks went by without a phone call I kept ringing to ask what the situation was and it turns out the lady dealing with applications was ill. I got a call several weeks later saying a vacancy had come up, however it was a job I never applied for.

Interview Questions

• Give a example of a time you have dealt with an angry customer?   Answer Question
    • When have you changed a situation for the better?   Answer Question

They left it too long and eventually rang me with a vacancy which was unsuitable.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

I applied online via a lengthy process. You have to answer about 40 questions with different scenarios. I was told straight away I passed this section and then had to book an interview "assessment".

The first part of the interview was a role play. Two staff members were in the room, one playing the customer role and one writing notes. I was provided with 4 pieces of laminated paper displaying various offers in store and showing what stock was available. I was told I would have 5-10 mins to read these through and make notes whilst the staff left the room. However you can hold and refer to the laminated pieces of paper as you are doing your role play. The staff then entered the room and you start the role play acting as a customer assistant. I thought this was going to be horrible and was quite nervous but it was actually fine and the staff are very helpful in guiding you as to what to say next. I then had to fill in an evaluation sheet on what I thought went well and what I'd improve next time about the role play.

I was then told a manager would be coming in to ask me some questions. This was more of the standard interview questions and lasted about 20 minutes. As part of the interview you have to give examples of the 4 I's which M&S go by. These are innovation, inspiring, in touch and something else. For each of these the manager gives you a question about a time you've done something relevant to these 4 things. For example a time you inspired a change or a time you encouraged someone.

After this I was told straight away I had got the job and then had to choose my hours and sort out paperwork.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Marks & Spencer's?   Answer Question
    • What is your understanding of the role of a customer assistant?   1 Answer
    • What experience do you have in selling/retail?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in October 2016.

Interview

I initially applied online, which was quite a lengthy process, but it was quite straightforward. I immediately received an email to book myself in for an assessment and interview. The e-mail informed me that a short role play would be part of the assessment, followed by the interview itself. However during my actual interview, there was not enough time to conduct the role play as another interviewee and myself had been double booked on the system. The manager did mention this was usual procedure, so I would recommend that anyone applying should have a little practice and go in prepared to role play just in case!! When I arrived for my interview the manager was very approachable and friendly! This was great as I immediately felt at ease. There were plenty of questions! But they were all fairly straightforward and the majority were regarding my background, flexibility, availability, experience and ease of travelling to the store. I will include any questions I can remember below! Generally, it was a fairly relaxed interview and felt more of a casual chat than the usual interrogation you get at other interviews! I was immediately offered the job, based on my confidence, attitude to work, enthusiasm and approach to customer service. We filled in the paperwork and I'm now waiting for a call back to confirm my first day. All in all, they are looking for a confident and motivated individual, willing to work in a team and who show lots of enthusiasm! So smile a lot, maintain eye contact and be as confident and as friendly as you can! Also ensure you do some research on the company and try to include the history of the company in some of your answers! The manager was impressed by my knowledge of the company's history and said it was shocking how many people applied for the position and didn't know anything about the retailer. That will be a huge plus!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for M&S?   Answer Question
    • What relevant experience do you have, and how will this help you in this role?   Answer Question
    • What do you think this role (customer sales assistant) would entail?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you had to work with others to reach an agreement.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you noticed someone being dishonest (doing something inappropriate) at work and how you dealt with this.   Answer Question
    • What do you think a customer expects excellent customer service to consist of?   Answer Question
    • Explain your previous experience with customer service and selling.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you effectively communicated with a customer and how you met their needs.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you suggested a new idea/practice and the outcome of this.   Answer Question
    • Do you understand that this job will require you to be flexible? If yes, why do you think you would need to be flexible in this role?   Answer Question
    • How do you plan on travelling to work?   Answer Question
    • What do you think makes excellent customer service?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time that you received unsatisfactory customer service. What aspects were bad?   Answer Question
    • Which aspect of the job would you find most enjoyable and why? Which aspect would you find least enjoyable and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to choose from three templates which shift patterns I would prefer to work, I found this very useful as it gave me a flexible choice! I also informed them of a pre-booked holiday, which they were fine with and booked off for me immediately.

Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online and passed assessment and was given a date and time for interview which I booked myself in for , I never received any follow up email and had to call them the day before to check I was booked in, I was on the system so all ok so far.
    Then the interview , was signed in and taken to a room, got given a few sheets about imaginary store fergusons told to read over them for 10 mins and when assessor came back in she was the customer , basically the item she wanted was out of stock, offered her similar item , and told her I could order in the item for next day , just do everything you can to help customer , also told her about offers that related to her item , asked at end if I could help her with anything else , then filled in a sheet to say what I thought went well , what didn't , after that the assessor came back to let me know id done well and she would be interviewing me as supervisor was busy , interview went really well at end she told me she was offering me the job and what department i would be in , great !! After 5 days and no contact I contacted store only to be told management had decide it was better to interview everyone before offering job !! So now I don't know if I have job or not and need to wait again to hear from them

Interview Questions

I don't know if I have job even though I was told at interview I did

Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

After a quick search on the website many vacancies will appear with many different hour options. I found one that would be great for me a 10 hour weekend job I started to apply filling in the 3 tests that they have on the website, they are quite time consuming however it does illuminate some applicants. If all 3 are passed you will be taken to a page where you choose your face to face interview time. On the day of the interview there is two parts. First the role play where you will be working with a less senior member, they'll go out the room for 5 minutes and you will have time to look over the sheet they provide, when she comes back in she is the customer and you have to act out a typical day sene where she is looking for a product which is out of stock MAKE SURE YOU MENTION ALTERNATIVES AND TRY TO UPSELL OTHER PRODUCTS. The second part is with the manager where you answer typical interview questions "why do you want to work here" etc. Make sure to look over the 4I's and plan A before hand, she will then go out the room and talk to the other member to decide if you have the job. The first staff member will tell you if you have or have not been successful and if like me you have then she'll bring out a big book of empty vacancies to choose from (not the hours initially planned). Can't wait to start!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Great pay since i'm only 16 but no negotiation as the pay is set.