Marks & Spencer Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 22, 2017

2.6

471 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Applied online and completed the personality questionnaire. After, an email was immediately sent saying that I passed this stage and that I should book an interview, but wasn't able to get one until the week after. Interview was extremely relaxed; first stage was to do with how I handle situations, why I wanted to work at M&S and talking about my previous experience. Second stage was a role play using cards and picking the wisest course of action for a predetermined scenario. Didn't have to explain any of my choices when the review came.

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Very casual and relaxing, two stages, first stage was role play in which you get given some cards to read about a scenario. The typical scenario is a customer is looking for something which happens to be out of stock, your job therefore is to find an alternative option that best suits their needs. They do make it quite obvious for you and guide you where needed. Second stage was an interview in which they ask about the four I's (all of them) giving scenarios for when you have displayed these qualities, then general questions about yourself and availability etc. Told me there and then I had been successful but should wait for further notice. I waited a week and heard no response so I called them and they offered me some hours, so if you don't hear anything after being successful its worth giving them a ring. Had my induction about two days later! At no point did they ask for my cv which I found a bit strange.

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in July 2017.

Interview

First did a role play in which I was given 5mins to prepare. Make sure you use all information you are given on leaflets !!! After that was the normal sort of interview, which included lots of "tell me about a time when" sort of questions- try and relate them to helping others.

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Middlesbrough, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Middlesbrough, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online and went through a series of situational questionnaires, upon which I'd been informed I passed and was invited to an interview. The interview was relaxed and the people were friendly, telling me all the information I needed to know. It started with a roleplay, where I had around 10 minutes to memorise information related to a food range, and then talk to a pretend-customer who will make it a worst-case scenario (out of stock items, unpreferred alternatives etc.) so be sure to present alternatives, upsell additional items and promote any offers that were shown in the documents, all the while whilst staying positive and friendly. Following this, I filled out a self-reflection form, and then was told I had passed and moved onto the interview stage. I'd recommend reading up on the 4 I's of Marks & Spencer so you're comfortable answering these questions, and following these I was then told I had passed! I gave further details and was contacted some days later with a confirmed position.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

I just finished my interview, well pretty much only got to the role play and didn't get through to the interview. It was quite scary but the overall staff were very kind and welcoming, just make sure to always have the customer in mind and ask if there's anything else that you could help them with afterwards. Also don't panic like me, because they can certainly tell. They did also give me great feedback and things that I did well and that I could improve on.

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

I was emailed shortly after applying online and was asked to come into the store where I was asked very basic questions regarding customers and work ethic and goals. I would suggest looking at their website before your interview to look at what the company practises so that when asked you know their goals. Took about 20 minutes in total as role play was skipped for me, very simple and good.

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

The company took a long time to get back to me after initial interview but the assessment day was well run and the four interviews were all fine, enjoyed the experience overall..

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bolton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Bolton, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

I had an interview at 9am I got there as early as 8am went to the store keeping in mind it was raining heavily the store was closed but the stock management were having a meeting they saw me outside in the rain and just ignored me until someone was nice enough to tell me to come back later. I chilled around for a while till my interview time. I went to the desk and a lady signed me in, took me to a room and came in few minutes later with another lady. The first interview was a role play about a woman looking an out of stock shirt for her father's birthday I offered her so many things but she refused I was later able to convince her to buy another one that was online. Do not forget to ask for her details to post the item and the budget ask her loads of questions like what are you doing for your dad's birthday e.t.c

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

1:1 interview with manager that lasted around 10 minutes. Received an email saying there would be a role-play but was told on the day that because of volume of applicants they were only doing short interviews. Questions fairly standard, make sure to research M&S's ethics beforehand. Unfortunately job was advertised as fixed-term but was in fact permanent, so it did not suit my needs.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Leading to the interview there was an online senario test that required a lot of time. I passed this and was offered an interview the following week.
    On arrival I was greeted by a member of staff who showed me where to go and was fairly friendly. The interview consisted of a role play where an item was out of stock and how you as an assistant would deal with that. After that I was told I had completed that part of the assessment and the manager would be coming to interview me further. I had to wait a while in a room for him to arrive. This interview took around 15 minutes asking many of the questions others had previously discussed.
    The previous interview came back in and told me I was successful and had passed the interview. I filled out a uniform sheet and an availability sheet and was told that they would be in contact again within the week.
    However 4 days later I received a call from the interviewer and was told that even though I was successful and they would love to have me in the store there wasn't any vacancies for me!! I would be kept on the record for 6 months if any positions did arise. Very confused as to why I was told I was successful and filled out a uniform request or why they even ran interviews when there were no jobs to be had?