Marriott International Interview Questions in Bethesda, MD | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 31, 2017

2.8

Senior Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Bethesda, MD) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process began with a phone screening with the recruiter. This was followed up by face to face interviews on 2 separate days. This was due to unforeseen circumstances. I was interviewed by two people on both occasions. The entire process took approximately 6 weeks from the first call to the start date.

Interview Questions

• They're basically STAR interviews. For example, talk about a time that you encountered a problem with another employee and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Marriott International (Bethesda, MD) in February 2017.

Interview

I was initially contacted by departmental HR because of previous work I'd done with the division. They recommended that I apply for a new position being offered. After electronically submitting my application I was then contacted by Marriott's recruitment team who set up a screening phone interview where they asked me basic situational STAR questions from past work experiences and why I would be an ideal candidate for this position. I then had an in-person interview with the position's hiring manager. Even though I was all but given the job offer during the interview, there was some lag time with the recruiter getting back to me with an offer. I had to follow up with the hiring manager, who was told that the hold up was because of lagging reference replies.

Interview Questions

• Recruiter Screening: Why would I be an ideal candidate for this position?   Answer Question

Front Desk Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marriott International (Bethesda, MD) in February 2017.

Interview

After submitting my resume and application on Marriott's job website, I received a call the same day from the HR Director. She asked a few more questions and then scheduled an interview for the next day. The next day I came in person and had three interviews - one with the front lobby manager and a front desk manager, one with the operations manager, and one with the general manager. Really great experience, the best interviews I've ever had - I felt really taken care of and listened to by people I hadn't even worked with yet, and I felt that all my questions for them were answered thoroughly. I would recommend checking out and trying to get an interview with Marriott - the experience is valuable!

Interview Questions

• Lots of "tell me about a time when _____," "tell me about yourself," and "why should we hire you?"
      As long as you submit a detailed resume for them to look at prior, and you have prepared a lot, you should be fine.
      Answer Question

Human Resources Manager-Associate Relations HQ Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Bethesda, MD) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online via their career page, was contacted shortly after to schedule a phone interview. Had a phone interview with their in house recruiter that lasted about 30 minutes or so, was mostly all behavioral -STAR based questions and I did very well on the phone interview. I was contacted less than a week later via phone by a recruiting coordinator to schedule a 2 hour in person interview consisting first of a panel interview and then a 1 on 1 interview and received a confirmation with further information only the evening prior to the interview. The in person interview was a great experience, the HQ is beautiful recently renovated and the panel consisted of 3 people all members whom this position would be working closely with. Each member asked 2 behavioral based-STAR format questions and they made it a comfortable process and I was able to ask questions as well. The 1 on 1 interview was a great experience as well and was 5 additional behavioral based-STAR format questions with a couple of other random questions thrown in there. Everyone was very personable and what was a difficult interview was made much more of a comfortable process.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with Terminations   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time you had to deal with difficult employee/client, what was the situation how did you respond and what was the result   Answer Question

Senior Director, Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 11+ months. I interviewed at Marriott International (Bethesda, MD) in June 2016.

Interview

This job is re-posted every four months or so, so I have applied for it several times over the course of a year. A former colleague was my reference who worked in the department. I would apply, get a great referral, then nothing. Had to make three separate ATS applications because they kept losing them. Finally, this last time I said I just want to talk to the hiring manager and not go through ATS. Had first interview the next morning. Had two interviews after that. Sadly, there were no post-interview follow ups. Repeated inquiries were ignored. I'm not convinced the job really exists; was this just casting a net to see what talent is on the market?

Interview Questions

• Take a particular area of interest like identity management, rewards program or blockchain. How could they benefit the guest? What kind of experiment would you create to explore this?   Answer Question

HQ Marketing Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

For a hospitality brand, my entire recruiting experience at Marriott HQ was a huge disappointment. And it was one of the worst recruitment experiences I have had in any job search.

I applied online, heard from a recruiter who did a 30-minute phone screen about my background. They then scheduled a 1-hour interview by phone with the designated staff member. That interview did last an hour and follows the STAR method of interview questions (which I detailed a bit more below).

That call went well so we began discussing coming in for an in-person interview. And this is where my experience went completely off the rails. Due to scheduling conflicts w/the staff and myself, the process did take awhile (3-4 weeks), but it was the communication and approach from the recruitment office that left a bad impression. They were aggressive, persistent (not in a good way), and really didn't listen to anything I had to say about when I could meet, how we could compromise if I couldn't be in-person in the timing that they wanted, etc. They even went so far as to bother me consistently on personal time off (which they were aware of). It was just clear they didn't read emails or didn't care about what I said in them, as long I did what they wanted when they wanted. Then, when we did schedule the interview, it was poorly organized, from handling the flights, to car service to the office, to the schedule with people on-site. For recruiters, who do this for a living, to not even be able to handle those details, is embarrassing for a company. And for someone interested in working there, makes one seriously doubt the corporate culture.

Post-interview, the recruiters said they would follow up with me and I never heard a thing. I only know that they passed because they re-listed the position.

The staff I did meet with were nice, but the company is going through a period of change after a massive re-organization about a year ago.

I write this so that people are aware and hope they don't have the same experience I do. Or if someone at Marriott actually reads this, they use it as an opportunity to make real change in that department. Because people asked what my experience was there, and they were pretty horrified at what I shared. And people remember that.

Interview Questions

• In-person or phone interview questions with staff are STAR (situation, task, action, result) focused, being clear about your role in the process.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

Recruiter screening call, then phone interview with hiring manager and a couple other managers, then a web-based interview with a panel of managers. Offer from recruiter, along with a required background check after tentative offer was accepted.

Assistant Controller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Bethesda, MD) in September 2015.

Interview

Met internally with two people in HR group after working internally in another department for 4 months. It was easy to apply internally and I found the interviewers personable and helpful. It is helpful to apply through Flex Staffing. It was a stress-free and positive interview experience.

Interview Questions

• How would my experience in another area would be relevant in this new position?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Marriott International (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

Started with phone screen with 3rd partyy recruiting company, which is not particularly organized or responsive. Then phone interview with hiring manager, followed by multiple 1-hour interviews, which are standard STAR/behavioral questions

Interview Questions

• Topic covered leadership, accomplishments & competing priorities, successful collaboration/team work, cross-functional projects, issue resolution, going above & beyond   Answer Question

PR Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Bethesda, MD) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by in person with, HR, direct supervisor and other members of the team. Interview was very straight forward. I felt at ease from the beginning of the interview. Make sure you ask lots of follow up questions about your particular team and how its organized. Each team operates very differently!

Interview Questions

• Describe a unique challenged you faced at your previous job? Uses STAR method of interviewing   Answer Question