Marriott International Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 2, 2017

25 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Guest Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

I didn't have to go through a phone screening process because I was referred by a former school friend who works there. Interviewed with HR and was set up for an interview with hiring manager but was joined by department supervisor.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer and what did you do to resolve the situation?   Answer Question

Front Desk Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marriott International (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

They are opening up the new Chicago Marriott Marquis in August of 2017. Everyone is downtown Chicago hospitality has been talking about it. I saw the flyer saying the applications were up and they'd start interviewing late June. I applied mid June and heard back a few days later that I was invited to go to their invite only job fair. I wanted this job so bad! My first interview went great and they told me to wait by the phone for the next steps. They called a week later inviting me to the second interview which I totally bombed. I was so mad at myself for the examples that I brought up. I tried not to overthink my interview because I didn't want to psych myself out, but I really wish I would have prepared better. I am the perfect person for the job, but I wasn't able to show that in my five minute second interview. Also you definitely what to have questions to ask them. I already knew I wanted the job and figured they rest of my questions would matter after accepting the position. They said there are three rounds of interviews and I got my rejection email after the second interview. It crushed me because I took a crazy chance and quit my job so that I could make it to their interviews. Don't be dumb like me. But be aware that there isn't any wiggle room with their interview dates. If you can't make it somebody else can. Lastly they use the STAR method and be sure to say your R-result.

HR Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

I was initially called and phone screened by the hiring manager. Two weeks later, she called saying she wanted to meet me in person. Met at the hotel in person where I was asked the behavioral interview questions. Then met another team member. I was then called back for a third interview with the director of the department and the former occupant of the open position. Ultimately, I decided the role was not for me, just from learning more about it in the first interview and decided not to further pursue the position and subsequent interviews.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to do a special project and what were some of the obstacles you encountered.   1 Answer

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I was contacted within 1-2 weeks to do a survey, next was a phone screening with a 3rd party recruiting company and lastly an in person interview. The entire process took about a month from the date I applied to the date I started.

Be prepared for just about all situational/behavior based questions. If you aren't familiar with the STAR/CAR process, then familiarize yourself with it and you will be successful in an interview.

I rate the interview as negative because in my opinion, the STAR/CAR questions don't allow for people to genuinely express the things they've accomplished nor does it allow the hiring manager to truly get to know the candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to balance competing priorities and how did you handle this?   Answer Question

Front Desk Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marriott International (Chicago, IL) in May 2016.

Interview

There will be no hiring process if you dot have experience in whatever position your applying for they will deny you through email. I can understand a certain position like being a pharmacy technician yes you have to had To went to school to learn the material to be able to perform the job successfully. Front Desk is an entry leve hotel position that doesn't require a degree.. Marriott is just a lazy company & doesn't want to put in the time to train someone to do something they haven't done before. They would rather deny you then actually give you a chance and train you. They prefer to put someone into the position who has the experivece already which is completely not fair.

Banquet Server Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marriott International (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Had to talk to multiple managers, HR about the same thing over and over again. Its a great company to work for, the only downfall is that management doesnt get paid much. So there is no desire to move forward.

Interview Questions

• Typical, standard: where did you work and etc   1 Answer

Rooms Operations Voyager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Chicago, IL).

Interview

LONG. Had 3 interviews, was flown to a destination for a final interview with all the other finalists from different schools across the region. Accommodations were paid for and were very nice. As long as you have your STAR method down to a science, you will do fine.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you failed, how did you overcome.
      Tell me about a tie when you contributed an idea, what was it and how was it received by the team.   1 Answer

Guest Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

I filled out the application online and around 2 weeks later. I was called to schedule an interview. The interview was with the hiring manager and a front desk associate.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went out of your way to help a customer?   Answer Question

Guest Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marriott International (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I was asked to answer the STARS questions. They based off of behavior and experience. There are usually 5 competencies they will ask you questions in. I was asked 2 questions within each one.

Interview Questions

• Describe your favorite customer service moment?   1 Answer

Night Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marriott International (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with the operations supervisor, then operations manager, and lastly interviewed with the general manager. They asked questions and stated what would be expected of me if offered an opportunity. All in all the interview took about 45 minutes and it was very easy (although I did prepare) with standard questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult guest or situation?   Answer Question