Marriott International Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Marriott International Director Interview Questions

Updated May 20, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Jacksonville, FL).

Interview

What an absolute terrible process. Applied for the position online. About a week later I received an email from an HR recruiter. They asked me to complete an online assessment. The online assessment was very in depth and took about two hours to complete. This was not normal to complete such an in depth online assessment without at least having an initial interview, but I still did it. I completed it and expected then to have an interview, by phone at least. Got an email a week later with about six interview questions and asked for my written response to those questions. Typical questions you would ask in an interview, why, what, salary, etc. So they essentially wanted me to write a three to four page essay response to their interview questions. Again, no actual call, conversation or any ability for me to ask questions. I submitted the response after spending another two hours perfectly articulating my response. Two weeks go by and I get a canned response from Marriott telling me there are more qualified candidates. What an embarrassing and degrading process. My advice, treat your candidates like actual human beings instead of robots, especially executive level candidates. I'm completely turned off by the brand, I won't be applying to ever work for them again. Maybe I'd be a great asset, maybe not, but I'm a human being. Treat your candidates like human beings.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Marriott International

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Rockville, MD) in May 2017.

Interview

I took half a day off from work and drove in about 45mins to the interview. The interview as a whole was very robotic with a serious lack of human connection. The interviewer read all questions one by one from a written questionnaire while noting down my responses without making any human context a part of it. I am generally very good at connecting with people's chemistry, but this person was almost intentionally making an effort to keep it out of it. I felt like something was fundamentally wrong here. That is, either they already had their hiring decision and I was there to fill in the count of justifying no. of interviewees, or the interviewer possibly had a complex or fear of my being more experienced than the interviewer. I had more to offer than what the position asked. The overall vibe didn't feel right to me all along from the get-go as soon as I was greeted on arrival. A very up-stick conservative culture I wasn't very excited about. Btw, the good reviews you see on Glassdoor are not for professional positions but mostly the field ops of Marriott, which is why you don't see a single bad one. And it's possible that Marriott cares about its field staff and are good with that, I didn't feel that approach in their professional staff. Did I mention that I didn't even receive a thank you response to my follow up, which I would expect from someone who wastes the time of an interviewee who takes the time and pain of following through the process, shows up on time to the interview and sends a thank you note promptly. My recommendation to Marriott for professional hiring is this: First, move away from the robotic questionnaire designed by a 3rd party. You should know your corporate culture and understand the role you want to fill better than a 3rd party assisting you with robotic questionnaires - make an independent decision exercising your determination of the corporate needs. If you have been there for a while, it shouldn't be that big of an issue. Second, be courteous to offer a cup of coffee or a bottle of water to your interviewees on arrival. Third, when an interviewee sends you a thanking note, return the courtesy by responding with a brief acknowledgment of their time and interest, if nothing else. Fourth, don't put the interview and hiring decision process in the hands of one person. Personalities vary by individuals, one person's (or hiring manager's) decision may not always result in what business values. How would you tell if a hiring manager is bringing in someone on a personal favor (conflict of interest) rather than a free and fair competitive selection? Overall, dissatisfying process and disappointing of the image I had about Marriott. I am glad I wasn't offered the position because I wasn't sure myself on my way out if I would be happy to work in that type of immature professional culture. Had I received the offer, I would have had to think it over 100 times if I would want to join.

Interview Questions

• On Job behavioral questionnaire for almost an hour of the interview, designed by a 3rd party contracted entity for Marriott.   1 Answer

Director Interview

Interview

The interview process was not overly difficult. It was pleasant and the interviewer made sure you felt comfortable. There were no surprise questions and it was not a stress interview. They asked Marriott HR required behavioral questions that followed the STAR format. The dress code is business casual, so you might be the only one wearing a suit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Marriott International (Bethesda, MD) in July 2013.

Interview

Found the process to be unnecessarily drawn out and not terribly productive or insightful. They've basically been sold a corporate bill of goods by their "HR professionals"... sort of a CYA system called "The STAR System." When implementing this system the HR folks are basically left off the hook if someone were to not work out. I met with countless individuals over nearly 4 months time and oddly enough, never met with a single individual within my specific discipline. I found my recruiter to be incredibly insulting from the git-go and also a bit lazy and condescending at the same time.

Interview Questions

• It's all based on "The STAR System." A series of questions that all begin with "Can you recall a time when you..." In truth? Had I really been willing to do absolutely anything to get the job? I just would've concocted works of fiction with the painfully obvious desired pat answers.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Marriott International (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

Strong business leaders in the organization; recruiting process seems to be changing --- for the better. Opportunity to perform case study for candidates moving to the final phase of interviewing (depending on department).

Interview Questions

• What critical thinking skills would you bring to the organization? What type of culture do you enjoy and how have you impacted culture in your previous roles?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marriott International (Bethesda, MD) in June 2009.

Interview

It was a typical interview. While I'd done my homework, I found it not a challenge. There were questions around strategy, vision and leadership.

Interview Questions

• What is your vision for the position.   1 Answer
    • What is my view of leadership?   1 Answer

The salary.

Director Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marriott International in December 2010.

Interview

Interviewed for two Director positions. The first step is a basic phone interview with HR with basic questions on your background (i.e. walk me through your resume), why Marriott, availability, and salary requirements. Next step was 1-1 interviews with the number of interviews varying based on the group. For the first position, I only met with HR (typical behavioral interview) and the hiring VP (mixed behavioral and functional/experience questions). For the second position, I seemingly interviewed with the entire group having met with 9 people from Directors to VP's and a rep from HR. Interviews were mostly behavioral and the process seemed a bit unorganized as most of the interviewers asked the same questions. There was also a 2nd round of interviews for those who passed through. Having 10 interviews in the 1st round in a single day seemed to be unnecessary.

Interview Questions

• HR - Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult coworker. What was the situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • How would you describe your leadership style?   Answer Question