Marriott International Front Desk Clerk Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 15, 2017

2.3

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marriott International (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

They are opening up the new Chicago Marriott Marquis in August of 2017. Everyone is downtown Chicago hospitality has been talking about it. I saw the flyer saying the applications were up and they'd start interviewing late June. I applied mid June and heard back a few days later that I was invited to go to their invite only job fair. I wanted this job so bad! My first interview went great and they told me to wait by the phone for the next steps. They called a week later inviting me to the second interview which I totally bombed. I was so mad at myself for the examples that I brought up. I tried not to overthink my interview because I didn't want to psych myself out, but I really wish I would have prepared better. I am the perfect person for the job, but I wasn't able to show that in my five minute second interview. Also you definitely what to have questions to ask them. I already knew I wanted the job and figured they rest of my questions would matter after accepting the position. They said there are three rounds of interviews and I got my rejection email after the second interview. It crushed me because I took a crazy chance and quit my job so that I could make it to their interviews. Don't be dumb like me. But be aware that there isn't any wiggle room with their interview dates. If you can't make it somebody else can. Lastly they use the STAR method and be sure to say your R-result.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Marriott International

Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Albany, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied a couple weeks ago and got an interview two weeks later. It was pretty straight forward standard questions I was first interviewed by one person and then I was interviewed shortly after by the GM. They generally ask the same questions. It was definitely a friendly atmosphere I really like my potential bosses and it's exciting that they do plan on cross training their workers as front desk but also at the bistro. Really great company

Interview Questions

• greatest strength and weakness, working with a difficult employee or guest, how I would handle a difficult situation etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marriott International (Portland, OR) in February 2015.

Interview

the interview was brief, painless, and my interviewer was very welcoming.
    We sat down and she shot off some questions.
    She was very relaxed and laughed at my joke I cracked. it was a nice environment for the interview and I felt at home. She shook my hand as I approached, I clicked with her. she was very comforting and inviting

Interview Questions

• Why should we pick you? how do you handle high stress situations?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marriott International (San Diego, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online the i had a phone interview and the i went to my interview and it was about a 50 min process there then once we spoke about priorities and the career path that i want they them informed me that i was hired i found it quite the pleasurable interview with a friendly interviewer they took a few days to think aboyt or make the dissision and then the call came a few days later so then once i took all the test and oassed everything i was good to go

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marriott International (Austin, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

I applied online, which was a pretty extensive application that took 30 minutes or so to complete. Got a call about 2 weeks later and set up a face-to-face interview. They were having a job fair, so even though I had a scheduled interview time, I had to wait for about 30 minutes. I first met with the HR person where we briefly went over my resume. Next, I met with a manager, which probably only lasted for 15 minutes or so. They didn't ask any situational questions which surprised me.

Interview Questions

• What was your best/worst hotel experience.   Answer Question
    • If we got three or four of your friends to describe you, what would they say about you?   Answer Question

I got a job offer in another field, where I felt more comfortable.

Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marriott International (Goleta, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

The location I applied to had a ton of applicants, mostly because it was still under construction and they were seeking a full staff by opening time. I was afraid that I'd be rushed in and out during my interview, but was very surprised that the interviewer and I spent about 30 minutes together even with a ton of people out in the hallway! They definitely take the time to get to know you, and see if you mesh with their customer-oriented vibe.

Interview Questions

• There are high expectations for the Marriott brand, and if offered the job, you would be the "face" of the hotel. How does this knowledge affect you? As in, will it affect your performance (better/worse), your anxiety levels, etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Parsippany, NJ) in April 2011.

Interview

I applied for this job online. I heard back in roughly 3 days. They brought me in for an interview with the assistant general manager. After talking with her for about 20 minutes the general manager came in to interview me as well. She basically told me I got the job on the spot pending the results of a drug test. The questions were general interview questions. About a week after I took the drug test they called to give me a start date.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult people   2 Answers

Negotiation

easy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foxboro, MA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marriott International (Foxboro, MA) in March 2010.

Interview

The Testing process was all online. The interview was the typical "tell me about yourself" and "what would you do in this situation" type of interview. They seemed understaffed and a little disorganized. They stressed how you had to be available all hours, including snow storms and in a state of emergency. The had rotating shifts, and couldn't offer a regular schedule. The pay was low. They ended up hiring from within, and I felt they should have told me right from the start that they were considering an in-house candidate. In the end, it felt unprofessional and like a waste of time. Don't think I'd pursue employment there again.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all typical.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marriott International (Bethesda, MD) in May 2009.

Interview

First was the personality test online. I guess most companies have them now. it is submited online with the application.

Then a phone interview. that was brief and pleasant. just asked basic questions like years of experience, why i was interested in the position etc.

Then came the face to face interview with the front office manger

After another interview with the AGM (this one forcuesd on demonstrating customer service eg, name a time when you wow'ed a guest

then the last one with the GM. this was more general on what i know about the marriott brand etc..

Interview Questions

• Name a time you went above and beyond to satisfy a guest   1 Answer
    • What are your future goals with the company?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes able to negotiate given experirnce in hotel industry for 3 yrs.