Marriott International Guest Service Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Guest Service Representative

Marriott International Guest Service Representative Interview Questions

Interviews at Marriott International

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marriott International (Miami, FL) in January 2012.

Interview

I was interviewed by the Front Desk manager first, then the Area manager, and Finally their boss. It took about an hour and a half and was pretty intensive. I got an offer off the bat. They ask open ended questions such as "Have you ever had a work experience were you came short of your expectations" and "Have you ever seen a coworker struggling and what did you do about it?" It was about 20 questions like this. I did not get any questions about my previous experience. They just want to see how you handled different situations in the past. The 2 questions that caught me most off guard are "Why do you want to work at this Marriott" (specifically) and "Where do you see yourself in a year?" Just because they are so direct and you know your answer could make or break the interview!

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in one year?   2 Answers
  • Have you ever had an experience where you anticipated the customers needs?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Marriott has great benefits and offered a better salary than the other places I applied. Given I dont have any previous hotel experience, I took the offer off the bat.

Other Interview Reviews for Marriott International

Guest Services Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marriott International in March 2014.

Interview

I was really impressed with the whole process. They posted the position online & called me in for the first interview. They asked me pretty standard questions, & at the end of the interview asked me to come for the second interview. They definitely want experience in customer service , & want to know what your future goals are. They are very positive about future growth with the company.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any questions that were that difficult to ask   Answer Question

Negotiation

They pretty much told me what the starting pay was & it was not negotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth Meeting, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marriott International (Plymouth Meeting, PA) in May 2013.

Interview

It was a pretty standard interview process, and they have a set of questions asked at every marriott hotel. I was interviewed by both the operations manager, and the general manager. It was sort of like have my first and second round interviews together, i assume. I had a very positive experience, overall.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging experience you had and how did you overcome it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marriott International (Houston, TX).

Interview

I filled out an application online. It's a good idea to visit the hotel and/or call to express interest in the opportunity. I also had the benefit of a Marriott employee referral.

I was called in by the assistant general manager to interview and then completed a second interview with the general manager.

I was hired from there and determined my start date as well as filled out new hire paperwork.

Interview Questions

• Questions about my work history. They wanted to ensure I was worth hiring. Overall, I wasn't sure the AGM was interested in hiring me due to his very cut and dry approach.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated requested a dollar / hour more in pay. Mgmt met me half way.

Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Auburn Hills, MI) in April 2013.

Interview

Job was posted on University website. I applied there. Was contacted within two days and set up an initial interview. My initial interview was one on one with the general manager. Over a week went by and was contacted for a second interview. Second interview was with direct supervisor. Then was contacted within two days offered the position. Then had paperwork and was officially hired within a few weeks of initial application date.

Guest Services Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International.

Interview

I applied online and through a Marriott employee referral. The process took a little over two weeks.

Once you submit your application, a third party company reviews it and rates your assessment. If it doesn't meet criteria, you probably won't be contacted for an interview.

If your assessment passes, your application is sent to the hotel with an opening like mine was. A hiring manager will contact you by phone and ask you general questions about your background, education, what languages you speak, etc. Really, the phone screening tests whether or not you are a pleasant person with a good voice that sounds positive and clear on the phone.

If the manager thinks you sound good, they will schedule an in person interview. This interview was with the same manager and took about an hour. It was very relaxed yet professional. We talked about how the hotel ran and the training opportunities available for guest services. Yes, the starting pay is very low but if you can handle it, the company has many options for training and development! The interview itself was STAR questions as others have said (situation, task, action, result) and if the interview goes well you will be scheduled for a second interview. For guest services you need to have an outgoing personality and love working with people, and be open to learning new skills.

I was asked to meet with the assistant general manager the next day. We talked about my goals and where I saw myself in the company. It was laid back but still asked me about how serious I was about the position. At the end, I was offered the job and taken to the HR office to sign a consent for a background check and drug tested before I started work.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you were frustrated with a customer and how you managed the situation.   1 Answer

Guest Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International in April 2010.

Interview

After you have applied you will wait approximately two week while your application will be screened by a third party. If it passes scrutiny it will be sent to the department head. They will call you if your name is passed to them. When they call they will setup an interview, normally some where private and ask question and gauge your answers. This will take 20-40 minutes. Good luck.

Interview Questions

• Where do you want to be in 5 to 10 years. (Think about it before answering)   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Marriott International (Houston, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

I arrived and Waited 30 minutes to be interviewed. They were conducting several interviews in surrounding rooms, as I waited. The interview was cut and dry, questions such as tell me about yourself, what are your strengths and weaknesses, what do you do now, do you have any questions for me, we'll get back to you this week after we've completed the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions for me?   1 Answer

Guest Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Marriott International in March 2013.

Interview

Interviewed then hired, very easy. Interviewed on the spot and received the position. Started days later. Interview was very laid back and informal. After hired was welcomed with open arms and given a lot of training opportunities.

Guest Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online with an employee referral and I heard from them within three business days. I went to the hotel and had an hour interview with the operations manager. It was a pretty standard interview - asked me about my strengths/weaknesses, why I want to be part of Marriott, where I see myself in 5 years within the company, how can my previous experience help me with the job, an example of challenging situation with my co-worker and how I dealt with it, etc. The interview lasted about an hour and took place in the hotel lobby. I thought it was a positive interview, the operations manager was very friendly, and he immediately told me at the end he thought I would be a great fit and wanted me to come back for a second interview with the general manager.

The following week, I returned to the hotel and had my second interview. He was the person I had to really impress, but at the end of the day, I was just myself. I joked around & was very honest with my answers. He definitely asked more challenging questions than the first round and it was geared more towards who I am as a person rather than an employee. (Work-wise, though, he did ask what was the worst manager I had and why was he/she the worst)? He asked what are the top three things your family/co-workers would positively say about you and also top three things they would say that you could work on.

Overall, a very positive experience. He offered me the job right on the spot and told me he wanted me to work there. I even negotiated my way into a full-time job with him (it was originally a part-time job, with the opportunity to become full-time, but I was incredibly adamant saying I needed and wanted a full-time job). He gave in and said, "Okay - you want a full time job? I'll give it to you." Wow! Awesome.

He left and the operations manager came to meet me. He went over the next steps and the pay! Wowzers, was the pay low! I told him I would have to think about it. I called him back a few days later to negotiate the pay, and he said he would have to talk to the general manager (who was gone for the weekend). I thought I had the upper hand in the situation since both managers seemed to really like me and think I was a good fit for the team, in addition - I found out through them that they were incredibly understaffed! Come on, it's Marriott - it's not the local motel down the street - they can afford to pay me more. However, they got back to me the next day and said they could only pay what they originally offered. What a shame. You would think they could negotiate. I declined.

Interview Questions

• What are your top three personal qualities that you need or want to change about yourself? (i.e. putting yourself first all the time, close-minded, demanding, etc).   Answer Question

The pay was too low. I tried to negotiate, but they were not even willing to meet me halfway or raise it at all.