Marriott International Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,150 Interview Reviews

2.6

Banquet Server Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Colorado Springs, CO) in June 2017.

Interview

After applying, the person in charge of banquets will review your application and if they feel that you are qualified for the position they will contact you for an interview. The interview took place in the lobby of the location in which you applied after the head of banquets was called from the main desk.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marriott International.

Interview

3 step interview process, first with restaurant manager, then with the director of human resources. Lasty, met with the General Manager. Each had different questions, but the process moved rather quickly.

Interview Questions

• What are your core values?   2 Answers
    • How confident are you diffusing a guest complaint?   1 Answer

Guest Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Marriott International (Boston, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

I was greeted in the lobby by 3 department heads then escorted to an interview room complete with complimentary bottles of water. All 3 had a plesent and professional demenor. They took turns asking me questions and took notes from my responses. I asked several questions of them at the conclusion of the interview as well. The entire interview process lasted 45 minutes. I was informed I was the first candidate to be interviewed and should not expect to hear anything for another 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe an occassion when you provided exceptional service to a guest?   Answer Question
    • What makes you the best candidate for this positon?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Jacksonville, FL).

Interview

What an absolute terrible process. Applied for the position online. About a week later I received an email from an HR recruiter. They asked me to complete an online assessment. The online assessment was very in depth and took about two hours to complete. This was not normal to complete such an in depth online assessment without at least having an initial interview, but I still did it. I completed it and expected then to have an interview, by phone at least. Got an email a week later with about six interview questions and asked for my written response to those questions. Typical questions you would ask in an interview, why, what, salary, etc. So they essentially wanted me to write a three to four page essay response to their interview questions. Again, no actual call, conversation or any ability for me to ask questions. I submitted the response after spending another two hours perfectly articulating my response. Two weeks go by and I get a canned response from Marriott telling me there are more qualified candidates. What an embarrassing and degrading process. My advice, treat your candidates like actual human beings instead of robots, especially executive level candidates. I'm completely turned off by the brand, I won't be applying to ever work for them again. Maybe I'd be a great asset, maybe not, but I'm a human being. Treat your candidates like human beings.

Front Desk Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marriott International.

Interview

Applied and was called an hour later for an interview. I thought the interview went well, my issue was the woman seemed kind of fake in her responses to me. Told me I wasn't allowed to call out sick, there's no real breaks on the job, and they wanted to cross train me in the kitchen. I started to realize how different her description of the job and the online posting was. I declined the offer.

Interview Questions

• If there were there was a big line and your coworker was in the back texting, what would you do?
      What activities do you enjoy in your down time?
      Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer?
      Tell me about a time you succeed?
      What would your supervisor/friend say about you?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Rockville, MD) in May 2017.

Interview

I took half a day off from work and drove in about 45mins to the interview. The interview as a whole was very robotic with a serious lack of human connection. The interviewer read all questions one by one from a written questionnaire while noting down my responses without making any human context a part of it. I am generally very good at connecting with people's chemistry, but this person was almost intentionally making an effort to keep it out of it. I felt like something was fundamentally wrong here. That is, either they already had their hiring decision and I was there to fill in the count of justifying no. of interviewees, or the interviewer possibly had a complex or fear of my being more experienced than the interviewer. I had more to offer than what the position asked. The overall vibe didn't feel right to me all along from the get-go as soon as I was greeted on arrival. A very up-stick conservative culture I wasn't very excited about. Btw, the good reviews you see on Glassdoor are not for professional positions but mostly the field ops of Marriott, which is why you don't see a single bad one. And it's possible that Marriott cares about its field staff and are good with that, I didn't feel that approach in their professional staff. Did I mention that I didn't even receive a thank you response to my follow up, which I would expect from someone who wastes the time of an interviewee who takes the time and pain of following through the process, shows up on time to the interview and sends a thank you note promptly. My recommendation to Marriott for professional hiring is this: First, move away from the robotic questionnaire designed by a 3rd party. You should know your corporate culture and understand the role you want to fill better than a 3rd party assisting you with robotic questionnaires - make an independent decision exercising your determination of the corporate needs. If you have been there for a while, it shouldn't be that big of an issue. Second, be courteous to offer a cup of coffee or a bottle of water to your interviewees on arrival. Third, when an interviewee sends you a thanking note, return the courtesy by responding with a brief acknowledgment of their time and interest, if nothing else. Fourth, don't put the interview and hiring decision process in the hands of one person. Personalities vary by individuals, one person's (or hiring manager's) decision may not always result in what business values. How would you tell if a hiring manager is bringing in someone on a personal favor (conflict of interest) rather than a free and fair competitive selection? Overall, dissatisfying process and disappointing of the image I had about Marriott. I am glad I wasn't offered the position because I wasn't sure myself on my way out if I would be happy to work in that type of immature professional culture. Had I received the offer, I would have had to think it over 100 times if I would want to join.

Interview Questions

• On Job behavioral questionnaire for almost an hour of the interview, designed by a 3rd party contracted entity for Marriott.   1 Answer

Night Auditor/Front Desk Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marriott International (Durham, NC) in May 2017.

Interview

Interview process was laid-back, maybe a little too laid-back, very polite ... asked if I wanted anything to drink ... was asked to do a drug test on the spot before moving forward (Some sort of stick they put in your mouth and if it turns the color BLUE ... congrats you got the job).

Front Desk Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marriott International (Long Beach, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got a call from the front desk manager about a week or so later. She scheduled an interview with me in the same week. The interview took about half an hour and she was very nice and professional. She asked about my current job and went on to STAR questions (scenario, task, action, results). STAR questions are HUGE for the Marriott International so make sure you prepare for it beforehand. If you don't have work experience, talk about school projects, volunteer experiences, and/or helping out friends and families. Anyways, on with the interview, she shared about her own experiences in the industry and was overall encouraging because she knows I'm a college student trying to get my foot in the door. She asked if I had any questions at the end and I talked about how my only concern is that I am a full time student so I need to have my work schedule accommodate to my school schedule. She was very understanding and suggested a possible part-time position in place of the full-time position that she was hiring for. The interview ended on a good note; she said she would call me back the next day after she interviews another person. I thought it seemed promising but I never got a call back.
    Thinking back, I should've gotten her business card and called to thank her for the interview. It's just common job courtesy.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to help a co-worker in a difficult situation.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you struggled to meet a deadline for a work/school assignment; what did you do?   Answer Question

Sales Manager, Segment Team Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marriott International in May 2017.

Interview

Interview process consisted of two interviews, a phone screen with a recruiter and a one-hour in-person interview at Marriott corporate that primarily utilized the STAR approach of behavioral interviewing. Interview felt like it could have been a bit more personal, interviewers were taking very detailed notes during interview, which made it hard to have more a of conversational style interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you did an exceptional time selling something   1 Answer

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marriott International in May 2017.

Interview

Interview was just odd. Asked me two or three questions about the job itself within a ten minute span, even though the overall interview lasted over an hour. Questions weren't clear, if anything I felt like they purposefully showed off my weak points. Interviewer was a little weird, felt like they were bragging about themselves. Benefits not good, too much work for not enough pay. By the end of it all I decided against the position, I felt like end up looking for another job within weeks of starting.