Marriott International Operations Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Operations Manager

Create your profile to get personalized information

Marriott International Operations Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Marriott International

3.1

Anonymous Employee in North Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marriott International (North Charleston, SC) in March 2016.

Interview

They just really seemed to want to fill the position quickly The Gm gave his two weeks the busiest time of year and never given a full onboarding process The management team was constantly revolving

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Marriott International

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marriott International (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

Starts off with screening from outside recruiter, then STAR interview with panel. Situation-Task-Action-Results. Requires a lot of writing for interviewer, very formal. Need at least three complete STARS. The answers to the interview are rate after wards.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to solve a problem that seemed impossible to solve   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Interview process took about 2 weeks. Applied online and was contacted next business day to set up interview. Hotel was still under construction so interview was held outside in the hot sun. I wish the interviewer would have let me know this, considering I showed up in a suit.
    It was a panel interview with 3 managers, and the hotel manager stopped in as well. Considering that it was a new hotel I believed they went with someone with prior hotel experience.
    Not a very structured or formal interview process, they seem to just throw out questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe your last position
      tell me about a time you motivated a team
      what do you do when a team member does not agree with your plan
      difficult decision
      greatest accomplishment
      are you willing to be on call 247
      how do you handle difficult or uncertain situations   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Marriott International (Saint Louis, MO) in January 2014.

Interview

Three interviews: spoke to recruiter over the phone, then 2 in-person interviews with upper level management. Wanted to know experience, but most importantly wanted to establish that the candidates were willing to take on a project and correct the existing problems within the various departments.

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Orlando, FL) in June 2014.

Interview

Basic 3 step process. phone interview. in person interview with basic questions.v The hiring process is easy and any one can get through it. easy peasy lemon squeezey

Interview Questions

Negotiation

overall experience was short and sweet. fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words overall experience was short and sweet. fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words

Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Chantilly, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

Before I begin, I want to add that I'd had years of experience in franchised Marriott properties and quickly realized that they are very different worlds.

I applied online to as many properties with openings that I was interested in. I then printed copies of my resume and cover letters and put them in folders, dressed my best, and physically drive to the locations to turn my resume in person. The emails are sent off to the HR and skimmed over and you are given little opportunities to stand out. The resume attachments rarely even open.

I received calls for the HR rep in charge of my search within a few days regarding all of the properties I visited. She gives you a run down of the employment screening process: you answer general background questions via a phone interview. Then you have a management performance ability test online. If you pass that, she will arrange a phone interview with her. She introduces the STAR interview format and helps walk you through a couple practice questions. If she feels you are ready, she will schedule an interview with the lower management staff at the hotel you are applying for. It is a panel setup, usually in a conference room and they take turns asking you pre selected STAR questions. In my experience, they saw this as an tedious process but required for the notes and reviews when making hiring decisions. Be really prepared for anything. I came up with about 6-8 situations that could cover a few different questions and tailored it the question they asked. Make sure you follow the STAR format!!!! A blank space in the notes will really hurt you!!!!

After the first panel interview they will tell you that they are still doing interviews, and that they will narrow it down to the top two for the general manager to meet. If you are lucky, they will tell you how much longer they will be interviewing. The interview with the General Manager interview is the same STAR format, but it is one on one.

Good news: Interview are over!!
    Bad news: Prepare to wait!!

I have waited anywhere from a week to three weeks to find out that they hired someone else. I finally received an offer a week ago and am waiting for the reference and background checks and drug testing, so the process is continuing to drag a bit, but despite all of this, Marriott is a wonderful company and it will be worth the time it takes.

Advice:
    - Don't understimate the STAR interview!!!!!
    - Put your face to your resume!!
    - Don't give up!!

Interview Questions

• What change did you directly or indirectly bring to the hotel policies and procedures?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bettendorf, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International (Bettendorf, IA) in April 2015.

Interview

There were 4 interviews total. One with a peer/staff interview. Lots of communication in where I was at in the process. Unnecessary question and answer period of off topics. Process drug out longer than necessary.

Interview Questions

• How will you be an asset to the company? How will you discipline?   1 Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marriott International in August 2015.

Interview

Received phone call two weeks later to schedule interview within two days. Questions were behavioral, "Tell me about a time when..." and conducted by general manager and property coordinator. Atmosphere was formal, yet relaxed. Although I already knew Marriott's STAR method of interviews, the GM did explain in the phone call how the interview would be conducted and how questions would be asked and expected to be answered. The process was average to easy for me because I was prepared. If you don't prepare and cannot think on your feet, it could be a difficult process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a difficult guest.   1 Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Marriott International.

Interview

Process is very simple. Look for the job postings, apply, allow them to call you back. Once hired if you have an excellent HR department they have everything streamlined and you are really set up for success to join the property.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult, but pay attention to the questions that may lead you into knowing a little about the current state of the department or hotel, this will be a great clue and chance for you to ask questions about current work environment and the vision of your role.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Company has pay guidelines, you will be paid fairly for the industry, the market you are working in, and your experience.

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marriott International in January 2008.

Interview

Initial contact made from recruiter. Recruiter was liason between hiring manager and myself. Telephone with hiring manager mostly consisted of behavioral questions. They extended the offer to me in a matter of days.