Marshall Wace North America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Marshall Wace North America Interview Questions

2.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Marshall Wace North America

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marshall Wace North America in December 2016.

Interview

It was a 30 min phone call interview. I found out about the opportunity online and e-mailed the recruiter. The application was a cover letter and a resume. The interviewer is an analyst who conducts fundamental research for the TOPS team.

Interview Questions

• Went through my resume, asked about my past research and work experiences   Answer Question

Quant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwich, CT

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marshall Wace North America (Greenwich, CT) in January 2009.

Interview

Had a full day of meeting people. Mostly soft questions about my education and prior experience. Very friendly office. The beginning of the day comprised of them showing me the office and explaining the firm culture. I was then given a few scenarios and asked to describe how I would tackle certain problems. I had a IQ-like test to complete and several afternoon interviews with various people. This day was followed up with two, more casual phone interviews in which I talked to senior management - they asked me general questions about my background, and were curious to hear detailed info on where I saw my career going. Over all a very interesting firm, I'd recommend looking at them.

Interview Questions

• Two ropes that take 30 minutes each to burn, but which burn at irregular rates. Using as many matches as necessary, how do you time 45 minutes?   1 Answer

Had a better offer from another firm.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marshall Wace North America (London, England (UK)).

Interview

First stage was a standard phone screening. Typical .Net and SQL questions for about half an hour.

Next stage was face to face interview. It started with a coding exercise, resolve around 10 coding problems in around an hour. There is not time to do all the exercises so I just tried to do as much as possible, I finished around 6 by the time the clock went off.

Then there were the actual interviews with two other members of the team. Typical going through the CV, explain a system you work with and make some diagrams, random technical questions. There were also a lot of "attitude" questions to try to see if you fit on the team. It was nice to meet two of the colleagues I was going to work with and be able to make my own questions.

Next I met with CTO and another manager that made more questions about my career and again very focused on your attitude. If you are result-driven you won't have any problem with this. A good opportunity to know the company as well. They drop some high level technical questions as well.

Final interview was with HR. They asked about career, studies, long term plans... typical stuff. Ended up with a "problem solving" question.

The whole process took from 8am to 14pm, so around 6 hours.

Interview Questions

• If you are minister of transport in the UK and have to change the country from left-hand drive to right-hand drive how will you proceed?   Answer Question

Technology Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Marshall Wace North America (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied via email after discovering opportunity on university careers website. Was then invited to a phone interview which lasted for 10-15 mins. Asked me only 2-3 questions (why MW why this role). Questions were set so poorly that there was no way of discovering whether I am a good candidate or not. After the interview I did not hear from the company in 1.5 months and gave a phone call just asking is my application still present or it was missed out by accident. The next day received an email that I was not successful and after requesting the feedback they answered that 'my interview can be slightly better' without clarifying anything, which is obviously completely useless as I went straight to the interview stage. Judging by the email and phone communication, the whole HR department consists of only 1 person.
    A feeling that there is a laid back lazy recruiting where if you slightly disturb them by asking is there any update on the application and they will cut you off straight away.
    Advice to Management: get your HR sorted otherwise you are missing out a lot of talent on the market.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marshall Wace North America (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

It was a generally light interview, they mainly asked about past experience, what I was doing now, why I wanted to work for them. Pretty basic. However, it took them two months to get back to me and finally told me they went with someone else.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marshall Wace North America in February 2008.

Interview

The interview process was very straight forward, both interviews I attented only involved answering very simple questions you'd expect in an interview, no sense of feeling grilled.