Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene

2.6

Network Specialist II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (Baltimore, MD) in May 2014.

Interview

Very simple and to the point. Small technical exam of twenty five questions to complete. Panel interview of three people. Second interview was with the CIO, then offering was given.

Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (Baltimore, MD) in April 2017.

Interview

It was round table group panel, gave experience on working with people who were disabled (blind) and was able to tell how often do I communicate with the individual with the disability

Epidemiologist III Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene.

Interview

Applied online, contacted about 1-2 months later to set up an interview. Interviewed in person with 3 panelists. They asked pre-determined questions and wrote down all of my answers. These were mostly about methods I would use to tackle workplace and broad health issues. Afterwards, I was taken to a computer for a 30 minutes SAS test. I was given a data set and list of questions and had to code/submit my code to find the answers. (basic data manipulation techniques). About a week later I was contacted again to set up a second interview with my would-be supervisor. The next day I was told I had the position and shortly thereafter received my offer letter.

Interview Questions

• Describe a data quality problem you encountered when working with surveillance data. What was the issue, how did you identify that it was a problem, and what steps if any did you take to resolve it and/or prevent it from recurring?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (Baltimore, MD) in January 2014.

Interview

Simple straight forward canned generic questions with a panel of interviewers. Writing sample requested within a very limited amount of time. The questions were very straight forward and the interviewers were very prepared.

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (Baltimore, MD) in October 2017.

Interview

There was a panel interview to as about your personality and how you work with others. In my case, there was also an Excel test afterwards. I had applied in August and interviewed in October. Started working mid-December.

Interview Questions

• How do you work in a team? Have you attended meetings? How do you handle attending a meeting that you did not prepare for?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Catonsville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (Catonsville, MD) in September 2018.

Interview

Not organized, not communicative. Applied, was called in for an interview after about 3 weeks. I came in for an interview and it seemed they didn't remember I was scheduled at all..... the position (and responsibilities) were not fleshed out. It was a panel of three with rote interview questions, no one seemed very checked in......it was kind of embarrassing. I was given a writing sample to fill out on the spot and asked about my background and what I knew about the office. Was told I'd be given a decision within the month and had to call them to get final feedback which was, "we made a decision." Very sloppy.

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (Baltimore, MD) in January 2013.

Interview

Two interviews, one-on-one and a panel

Interview Questions

• Why would you choose to stay working for the state government?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene in April 2014.

Interview

There were 2 in person interviews. The first was with both Chiefs in the dept then second was with both chiefs and Director. Basic questions. Both interviews were easy and short, really easy people to talk to.

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (Baltimore, MD) in May 2011.

Interview

Phone interview with program manager then an in-person interview with the program manager and program director, lasting about an hour. A discussion of skills (communication, adaptability, team skills, open-office floor plan, organization). Freedom to ask questions to interviewers about their background and history, length of time with the state, and geographic areas covered.

Interview Questions

• Education, previous experience, interest in working for the state. What do you know about state programs and specialization area? How do you handle stress?   Answer Question

Epidemiologist I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (Baltimore, MD) in October 2017.

Interview

Once an application is submitted, MDH ranks it. If you are put in the best qualified category, you may be contacted by a hiring manager (usually takes 1-2 months after submitting). Always just one in person interview as far as I know. Panel contains 3-4 people including the hiring manager. State has a very rigid interview panel process - must ask 7-8 questions and cannot ask any "improvised" or follow-up questions. For my position, they gave me a SAS skills test (written test) which I was not expecting. They usually make a decision soon after the last candidate is interviewed and will notify you via email.

Interview Questions

• What types of statistical softwares do you know how to use and what projects have you completed using them?   Answer Question