MassMutual Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MassMutual Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated May 19, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MassMutual (Phila, PA) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very welcoming and informational. I first had an over the phone interview. I had to be very persistent to keep getting the next interview process. Make sure it is what you want to do!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for MassMutual

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual (Newark, NJ) in March 2017.

Interview

Recruiter called to set up a interview couple of days after submitting online application. First interview, met with two VPs. Very informative first interview, where they informed you of what the company is about and what kind of person they're looking for etc. Second interview was more in-depth of your background/experience and if you're a people person (basically you'll be answering 8-10 detailed questions asked by interviewer) and they will conduct background check, and send assessments prior to second interview. Third interview very brief, they assign homework for you to seek roughly 200 people you know to build your network of clients and ten short surveys. Once completing these tasks, you'll be determined if you're a right candidate for this position; if so, training and licensing will begin shortly. Please keep in mind, this is a 100% pure commission position (+bonus from company, down the road) and you will need to find your own network of people to sell insurance to (lots of calls, seeking people on the field, etc). If you're not able to speak in front of people or not able to easily communicate with random strangers and getting rejected numerous times, this position would not be for you. However, if you are, the earning potential is there through lots of hard work.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and what interested you about MassMutual?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual in March 2017.

Interview

Very pleasant But the General Agent was a bit aggressive on asking questions, I did not want to answer. He also seemed to convince why the job would suit me.

Interview Questions

• how I view the insurance industry, and how it stacks up against the advisory bussines, and if i would be willing to do both.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at MassMutual (Spokane, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Fairly lengthy without proper expectations set. The seems fairly personable but at the same time detached and holds himself on a pedestal. He had me meet other advisers to see if I would be a good fit and most of them were very kind and helpful.

Interview Questions

• When are you available to work?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual (Richmond, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview was a 1-1 interview in the office. It's mostly for information - they will go over exactly what the company does and the kinds of roles you play in it/ways to advance. They ask some questions about strength and experience, but is more emphasized on information about the company. He heavily emphasized that this is difficult work, and asks you if you would be interested/capable of it. I was asked back for a second interview, but decided to remove my name from consideration. Although there is potential to make a lot of money, you have no base salary and have to start with trying to sell to friends/family. Unless you have funds you can live off of for a few months without a salary, I would hold back on this job. Not ideal for recent college grads.

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual (Syracuse, NY).

Interview

In person interviews with several people at the local office. Very few questions were asked by the interviewers. They needed warm bodies and little more. Most people did not make it through their "training program" that was almost a week long.

Interview Questions

• Do you believe you can sell life insurance.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at MassMutual (Grand Rapids, MI) in August 2016.

Interview

Initial phone interview to gauge interest, followed by an in-person interview where they asked some simple questions, but I used it as an opportunity to ask a lot of questions about the company.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at MassMutual in May 2016.

Interview

It was really laid back. It was like we were just discussing things over coffee, no big deal. He looked at my resume and told me some about the position. Asked him some questions and that was it. Lasted about 15 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions about the company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MassMutual (Melville, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

sat down with Ivana and went over some of the culture and brief overview of the position. she was very nice and outgoing. we spoke much about what kind of person i am, where i came from (previous employer). i was thrilled to see how nice she was.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview

Pretty easy interview with essentially the office manager pitching why this business is so awesome. Essentially bragged about how much you could make late in your career without having to do anything but make sure people don't leave.

Just like at many other firms in the selling business, a lot of crap talking about how we are better then xyz and abc companies...etc.

Pretty sure the guy slipped up and accidentally mentioned how you get charged rent for your office space (IN THE MASS MUTUAL OFFICE!!) if you don't hit certain sales goals, but of course would not name what those specific goals were or how realistic they were.

Just remember there is high turnover in this business and they don't care, they just want you to come in bring in business and any business you bring in whether you stay or not is more $ in the guys on top pockets.

Filter through the sales pitches and have hard questions in your back pocket to ask them (or anyone you interview for) to give you a better understanding of how things work.

Interview Questions

I have trouble being a broker - dealer advisor (look up fuduciary advisors compared to broker dealers - any new people in the industry might get your mind blown) and selling product to my friends, family, and people that trust me with their family and generational wealth products that are eating/taking away from their wealth then it is gaining/benefiting.

Call me an idiot or a guy in the wrong business for having morals and standing by them, but there are ways to do this type of work, if this is truly your calling, and be able to wake up in the morning knowing you really are helping people.

Just my thoughts. Good luck to you all!