MassMutual Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MassMutual Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Dec 8, 2016

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual (Richmond, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview was a 1-1 interview in the office. It's mostly for information - they will go over exactly what the company does and the kinds of roles you play in it/ways to advance. They ask some questions about strength and experience, but is more emphasized on information about the company. He heavily emphasized that this is difficult work, and asks you if you would be interested/capable of it. I was asked back for a second interview, but decided to remove my name from consideration. Although there is potential to make a lot of money, you have no base salary and have to start with trying to sell to friends/family. Unless you have funds you can live off of for a few months without a salary, I would hold back on this job. Not ideal for recent college grads.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for MassMutual

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual (Syracuse, NY).

Interview

In person interviews with several people at the local office. Very few questions were asked by the interviewers. They needed warm bodies and little more. Most people did not make it through their "training program" that was almost a week long.

Interview Questions

• Do you believe you can sell life insurance.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at MassMutual (Grand Rapids, MI) in August 2016.

Interview

Initial phone interview to gauge interest, followed by an in-person interview where they asked some simple questions, but I used it as an opportunity to ask a lot of questions about the company.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at MassMutual in May 2016.

Interview

It was really laid back. It was like we were just discussing things over coffee, no big deal. He looked at my resume and told me some about the position. Asked him some questions and that was it. Lasted about 15 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions about the company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MassMutual (Melville, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

sat down with Ivana and went over some of the culture and brief overview of the position. she was very nice and outgoing. we spoke much about what kind of person i am, where i came from (previous employer). i was thrilled to see how nice she was.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview

Pretty easy interview with essentially the office manager pitching why this business is so awesome. Essentially bragged about how much you could make late in your career without having to do anything but make sure people don't leave.

Just like at many other firms in the selling business, a lot of crap talking about how we are better then xyz and abc companies...etc.

Pretty sure the guy slipped up and accidentally mentioned how you get charged rent for your office space (IN THE MASS MUTUAL OFFICE!!) if you don't hit certain sales goals, but of course would not name what those specific goals were or how realistic they were.

Just remember there is high turnover in this business and they don't care, they just want you to come in bring in business and any business you bring in whether you stay or not is more $ in the guys on top pockets.

Filter through the sales pitches and have hard questions in your back pocket to ask them (or anyone you interview for) to give you a better understanding of how things work.

Interview Questions

I have trouble being a broker - dealer advisor (look up fuduciary advisors compared to broker dealers - any new people in the industry might get your mind blown) and selling product to my friends, family, and people that trust me with their family and generational wealth products that are eating/taking away from their wealth then it is gaining/benefiting.

Call me an idiot or a guy in the wrong business for having morals and standing by them, but there are ways to do this type of work, if this is truly your calling, and be able to wake up in the morning knowing you really are helping people.

Just my thoughts. Good luck to you all!

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MassMutual (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Given scenarios and asked to answer questions about how you'd handle them; went over resume; informed on what an advisor does; given scenarios and asked how you'd respond to them; talked about the training process and history of the company;
    Talked about how you'd make your money

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the financial advisor position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MassMutual (Albany, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

A series of one on one meetings followed by a group interview and online personality test. Part of the interview process is to put together your list of people you're going to call when you start. The interview process is not very hard - they don't rule out too many candidates as long as you can pass the background check.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job?
      What are your goals?
      Why have you not been as successful as you wanted in past positions?
      1 Answer

Negotiation

I successfully negotiated a draw against commission arrangement but wish I had not done this.

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual (Peoria, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

There were three interviews. The first interview was just about the company and the financial advisor role. The second got into the role a bit more, and there were some basic interview questions. The last interview went over compensation.

Interview Questions

• What was a time where you had to demonstrate leadership?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MassMutual in December 2015.

Interview

It was over the phone. I was asked to tell what I knew about the company and what basically the job was about. After the interviewer went over my resume and asked me few questions.