MassMutual Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.5

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MassMutual (San Jose, CA).

Interview

I was contacted within a day of posting on an internet job board. They were accommodating to my schedule for an interview with a follow up confirmation email. Everyone one was very nice and my interviewer was not intimidating at all. Luckily I did research on the job before going as they were not very informative on the day to day activities.
    Pros:
    Some sort of training that may be worth it.
    A stipend during training that may be decent money, they didn't provide a number
    Cons:
     You have to find your own customers through cold calling or friends.
    Post training, only commission.

Interview Questions

• Explain A time when you changed the mind of an authority figure.   Answer Question

I didn't feel I would learn enough or earn enough money to justify such a large time commitment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MassMutual (San Jose, CA).

Interview

The entire interview was very easy. Basically if you are a likeable person and can pass through all of the behavioral interviews, you'll get it. The clincher is whether or not you have an established "natural" market in the bay area. You will need to bring in a book of about 200 people you can call. You will need their address, phone number, email, salary, life status, etc.... After that, you ask for referrals. Basically it's a ponzi scheme. If you're okay pushing and selling life insurance to your friends and friends' friends, go for it.
    The base bay is 18,000 for the first year. After that, its purely commission basis.

Didn't feel comfortable bringing a book of information that many spammers would kill for. In addition, you won't learn much for the first year or so. Their training seemed to be all about memorizing a script.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at MassMutual (Orange, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

The interview was very relaxed, not many questions. It was mainly asking if you wanted to do it. Commission based pay. Let me repeat Commission based pay. They seem like they will hire anybody.

Pay can be good if you can sell a lot of plans.

Interview Questions

• Questions were simple. Just a personality test- can you sell something?   1 Answer

Other offers on the table that were more appealing came up.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at MassMutual in January 2014.

Interview

A local agency partner found my resume that I posted on an internet job board and called me. The initial correspondence of a phone call and subsequent text messages were a bit unusual to me (who has no experience in sales). Fresh out of college with my masters, I decided to come in and speak the MassMutual agent. Mostly, the MassMutual agent spoke about how the firm uses the software LEAP and he wants me to sell this product. The agent seemed very excited about this new program (LEAP, which is a multifaceted cash flow manager) and tells me all the great shining things about the products, company, and opportunities (I'd be making a lot of money -- he just didn't say when I would be making that money. Plus, all commission based pay) - rough sledding for a recent college grad with some to pay for a student loan. This informational interview proceeded for about an hour. Overall, I perceived the local agent as a person that is not a greedy insurance peddler, but I only had one meeting. I was offered to start right away.

Interview Questions

• Very unorthodox meeting (wouldn't even call it an interview). Basically, I was given a brief tutorial about the software and was given tutorial of the agency philosophy. Then, I was asked my thoughts and what did I expect.   Answer Question

As a graduate student, I had only been out on the market for two weeks, and I was hesitant to take a commission based salary.

Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

A couple of phone conversations and in person conversations

Interview Questions

Negotiation

not an option

Technical Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at MassMutual (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2014.

Interview

You will interview with several key/anchor Agents (high volume brokers) where they will ask you about their current technical issues (printer not working, weird pop-ups, mobile device settings, hard drive replacements). The second round is with a lead tech at the corporate office. After this you will interview with the "General Agent" who is the manager of the entire location (core agency). This is typically over a few days but could be done in one afternoon if they really like you.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult. All of the very technical/high availability server/equipment is handled by corporate.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I as offered way less than average income, and actually less than my prior income. They knew that I had been unemployed and couldn't decline the low ball offer. Within a few days I found that the prior technical agent made twice what they offered me and left because there was too much work.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual (Phoenix, AZ) in January 2012.

Interview

One phone interview, followed by personality test. Once the personality test comes back as a match then another phone interview. If that goes well you meet in person and the offer is made. After background check and a few other little things you're set.

Interview Questions

• Nothing seemed too difficult, just be yourself and everything will be fine.   Answer Question

Better Job Offer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at MassMutual (Atlanta, GA) in March 2014.

Interview

Very straightforward relaxed interview. They really just ask if you have any questions. They will give you the job, they want someone who has connections and doesn't mind not getting paid for a few months while they develop their network.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MassMutual in February 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very laid back and easy. The recruiter contacted me from a resume I submitted through a job-seeking website for my college. The interviewing process included 3 interviews that were about an hour long each. This is a sales based position, so the recruiter really just asks behavioral questions. I felt that most of the time was spent with the recruiter trying to convince me to take the job.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected question was in the first interview when he asked me what my questions were right off the bat.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The position is commission based, so there was no negotiation phase.

Associate Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at MassMutual (Springfield, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

It was a two-on-one interview. Brought resumes to the interview. One of the branch managers glanced over it and began with a scripted line of questions, followed by a small presentation of company stats. Obvious from the get-go that this was going to be a sales position. Huge emphasis on pushing insurance rather than security-related products. The direction is very much self-dependent on generating your own book of business outside of "their training" which mainly consists of Sandler.com stuff as well as some Brian Morgan sales literature. From the looks of it they are mainly reaching out to a clientele that is more middle-income. Interview was followed up by a psych test which tried to goad if you knew a lot of people. The process was smooth, timely, great office, just very sales intensive.

Interview Questions

• List 4 things that you want from a job?   1 Answer

No salary.