MassMutual Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 12, 2017

2.5

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MassMutual (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

There was suppose be one internal interview, there were 6. They kept canceling and rescheduling and the last interview seemed very uninterested. The others were nice but the process was so long for internal candidates.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview

Lengthy. It took a while about 2-3 in person interviews on top of 2-3 phone interviews and then a separate appointment for a rigorous testing and had to wait almost a week for results and final interview then had to submit to a drug screening and wait another week or more for confirmation of passing and an offer.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview

Got a call within a few days for some initial talk and invite for face-to-face interview. Was given 10 surveys to be filled out before the second interview to prove that I had potential markets. This was difficult for me because I didn't know who to turn to besides family members. They want to know that you can be in contact with people who can actually afford to buy insurance products. Interviews were pleasant and easy.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at MassMutual (Fremont, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fast and in depth. The manager was respectful and did his best to get to know me. He made it a point make me feel comfortable and relaxed by casually talking before the in depth interview. This helped calm my nerves and made him far more easy to relate to.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate for a higher hourly wage. I called and in a day's time the negotiation was settled and my request was accepted.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at MassMutual in May 2016.

Interview

It was really laid back. It was like we were just discussing things over coffee, no big deal. He looked at my resume and told me some about the position. Asked him some questions and that was it. Lasted about 15 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions about the company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MassMutual (Melville, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

sat down with Ivana and went over some of the culture and brief overview of the position. she was very nice and outgoing. we spoke much about what kind of person i am, where i came from (previous employer). i was thrilled to see how nice she was.

Financial Services Interview

Interview

They will have you do a personality test to see if you fit the bill. If you do they get excited and will really push for you to accept the job. After that you will enter into a 2 week training class.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview

Pretty easy interview with essentially the office manager pitching why this business is so awesome. Essentially bragged about how much you could make late in your career without having to do anything but make sure people don't leave.

Just like at many other firms in the selling business, a lot of crap talking about how we are better then xyz and abc companies...etc.

Pretty sure the guy slipped up and accidentally mentioned how you get charged rent for your office space (IN THE MASS MUTUAL OFFICE!!) if you don't hit certain sales goals, but of course would not name what those specific goals were or how realistic they were.

Just remember there is high turnover in this business and they don't care, they just want you to come in bring in business and any business you bring in whether you stay or not is more $ in the guys on top pockets.

Filter through the sales pitches and have hard questions in your back pocket to ask them (or anyone you interview for) to give you a better understanding of how things work.

Interview Questions

I have trouble being a broker - dealer advisor (look up fuduciary advisors compared to broker dealers - any new people in the industry might get your mind blown) and selling product to my friends, family, and people that trust me with their family and generational wealth products that are eating/taking away from their wealth then it is gaining/benefiting.

Call me an idiot or a guy in the wrong business for having morals and standing by them, but there are ways to do this type of work, if this is truly your calling, and be able to wake up in the morning knowing you really are helping people.

Just my thoughts. Good luck to you all!

Mobile Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

This was a waste of time.

Before they even look at your résumé they ask you to complete a coding exercise. You have to build an app that interfaces with the NY Times API and displays a list of searchable headlines which, when tapped, produce the article's content. They allow third-party packages.

I completed the exercise in about 15 hours and then submitted it. After 1 day, I received an invitation into the office.

I was told the interview will be "low-pressure". It's not at all. It's a panel interview. I was also told I would be asked to add a feature on to the app. That also didn't happen.

When I arrive at the office, I learn that no one has even seen the app. The excuse was "it uses third-party frameworks, so it wouldn't run". But, I got it out of one guy that he didn't even try to run the app (gee, thanks). I wrote the app in Swift and I used the Swift dependency manager, Carthage. Most folks who work with Swift are familiar with Carthage, but in the event they were not, I wrote instructions in a README to explain the process. They also didn't read the README.

They asked me to walk them through the app and to explain the code behind it. Because I had assumed my app would have been reviewed, I also assumed they would have prepared questions for me to answer to help direct the conversation. Nope. I had to explain hundreds of lines of code to folks who are just now seeing it for the first time. Since I wasn't prepared for that situation, I did a lousy job. I couldn't explain anything clearly. That was my fault for not preparing, but, I don't think that would've changed the outcome.

As expected, I received a rejection email a couple hours later. The reason was my skills were not senior enough.

Because they never reviewed my app, I don't even know why they brought me in.

I feel like the decision to bring me in went like this: "He wrote some code but we can't prove it works because we don't care enough to find out. What the hell, bring him in, I got nothin' to do today anyway."

My advice is if you are asked to complete a coding exercise, __demand__ compensation so Mass Mutual if forced to give a damn, otherwise, they'll just lead you on.

Also, don't wear a necktie (I wore one) and definitely don't wear a suit. They kept cracking jokes about neckties the entire interview.

And don't interview on a Friday like I did. The team works from home on that day.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MassMutual (Berkeley, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone interview that last about 30 minutes learning more about me. After the interview they want to know what geographical area you prefer. Scheduled for a office interview the next week to meet with the managers.