MathWorks Applications Support Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at MathWorks

1,157 Interview Reviews

2.6

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks in August 2013.

Interview

Got a call for a HR interview in August, during which I was set up with a technical interview the following week. I waS supposed to choose from a specific set of specilizations(signal processing, control systems,etc) to be interviewed for. The questions were fairly simple and straightforward.

Interview Questions

• I had to solve a partial differential equation. It was pretty simple but panic struck and I wasn't able to answer.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for MathWorks

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

I applied online and received an email for video interview. I did my video interview a week ago and received an email for technical phone interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied on line, received the email after 3 weeks requiring me to submit video interview.
    The 5 questions are quite general:

1. Why this position?
    2. Why you?
    3. Experience of dealing with multiple responsibilities.
    4. Visa status.
    5. GPA

I submitted the video interview 3 days ago, have not got any reply.

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

Basic Pre-recorded interview at first basic quiestions like work eligibility, why work for mathworks,what makes you a good fit and so on and so forth. If you get through that then its a highly technical phone interview which covers basic mathlab but more questions on your chosen branch ( singal processing,controls...)

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MathWorks in April 2014.

Interview

Was referred by a friend and got an email in two weeks for a HR video interview. It consisted of basic HR questions (already listed on Glassdoor). After this round, I got another email to take part in a Technical interview which was over the phone. I had given my best for this day and answered about 90% of the questions. Here I want to share my technical interview questions, I remember most of the questions. Hope it helps many of you and All the very best!

Maths:
    1> What are Eigen values and Eigen vectors. I was given a 2*2 matrix and told to calculate the values
    2> Definite and indefinite integrals
    3> Invertible matrices. They gave me a 2*2 matrix and told to see if it was invertible
    4> Given velocity v=2+3*t^2, calculate acceleration after 3 seconds and position after 4 seconds
    4> f(5)=3, f'(5)=8, calculate f(3) if f''=0 in all domains (I didn't quite understand this question)
    5> They gave me a simple ODE and told to solve it.
    6> Define order and degree of a Differential equation
    7> What is rank of a matrix. Given a 2*2 matrix, find its rank
    8> Given a Differential equation, find its degree and order

Java:
    1> What is the difference between int and integer
    2> What makes a JAVA program run faster
    3> Define packages in JAVA
    4> Pointers (Though JAVA doesn't have pointers, they asked me for its definitions)
    5> What is the significance of 'Finally' Keyword
    6> What are recursive functions
    7> Significance of EXIT command in recursive functions.
    8> Garbage collectors
    15> What is polymorphism and define over loading an over riding in it
    16> What makes JAVA a OOP
    17> Difference between & and &&

Control Theory:
    1> Why is a open loop feedback used for a stepper motor?
    2> Why is negative feedback preferred. ?
    3> What is controllability ?
    4> What is a Bode plot?
    5> Given a 2nd order equation y''+4y'+20y=0; find the poles
    6> What is PID controller and signify all aspects
    7> Effects of poles on rise time
    8> Lyaponov stability criteria
    9> Given a equation of the system, find its damping ratio and natural frequency
    10> Effects of poles on the stability of a system
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MatLAB:
    1> Significance of these symbols
    %, ~, ..., !, @

2> Difference between A^2 and A .^2
    3> How do you save a file using codes
    4> How do you modify axis labels
    5> How to clear work space

Interview Questions

• Nothing like difficult questions. Every questions is answerable and the key to success is to keep your calm   Answer Question

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview Details – I applied online through the MathWorks website. Received an email in around two weeks for an online HR-based interview. The interview had the 5 basic questions given on Glassdoor. Shortly thereafter, I was scheduled for a technical interview. Need to take it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Cincinnati, OH) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied online through Mathworks website.
    * After a week or so. did the first round (HR round) with the questions already mentioned.
    * After about 1.5 weeks, mail to schedule a phone interview.
    Just got done with the phone interview. (signal processing/C/Matlab)
    Answered all questions (3 or 4 of them vaguely). On a personal note, I think I did really well.
    Not sure what they were expecting for "support engineer" but memorize what all you can.

There were a couple of questions not mentioned on glassdoor, I will update others in a while.

Left Inverse / Right Inverse matrices
    How to pass a char by reference in C language
    Function to convert a string into uppercase - how do you pass the string (value or reference) - my preference
    Break and continue in a for loop in C
    How to work on the same figure in matlab after you close and open the application . (Editing in startup.m?)

Interview Questions

• To continue working on a figure after you close and open matlab application.   Answer Question

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

I applied through school recruiter and the process took about two weeks. I had a screening phone interview a few days after I applied and was given a choice of dates to fly in for the full-day interview. The full-day interview involved a project manager interview, an HR interview, and a technical interview (my topics were programming and linear algebra).

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

Found the job posting online through the MathWorks Website and applied. Was contacted by the HR for a phone interview followed by a technical interview. Had two stages of interview.
    1) HR Phone interview
    2) Technical Phone interview

Interview Questions

• The HR interview was pretty much straight forward with questions related to what kind of background I have and so on. The technical interview had questions covering 4 topics
      1. Math
      2. Programming
      3. A programming language of your choice (C, C++, JAVA)
      4. Area of expertise chosen (Control theory, Embedded systems)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in May 2014.

Interview

There was standard questions for video HR interview.
    1. why mathworks?
    2. why this position?
    3. How you manage multiple responsibility.Give me an example.
    4. Are you eligible to work in united states? Do you need sponsorship? if you are on student visa then are you on OPT?
    5. What is your Cumulative GPA?

Interview Questions

• Each question has two minutes to answer.You will get few minutes to prepare for your answer.   1 Answer