MathWorks Applications Support Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,139 Interview Reviews

2.7

1,139 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in April 2018.

Interview

1. HireVue Screening
2. Technical Hackerrank challenge - answer 2/4 questions
2. Phone Interview - 1hr technical interview w/ live coding (basically went over my answers to the hackerrank challenge and an OOD problem)
3. Phone Interview - 10~15 min. behavioral interview w/ hiring manager
4. Onsite interview - 2 technical interviews + 1 behavioral w/ hr person + lunch w/ current EDGers + 1 behavioral w/ hiring manager = total 5 hrs

The entire process took about ~1 month and was very seamless. I was pleasantly surprised by how smooth the process was; someone from HR always kept in touch with me every week. The campus is lovely; it's a corporate company but very much feels like a start-up. I saw lots of young people. Everyone that I met was, for the most part, very friendly. Two days after my on-site interview (my onsite was on Friday), HR called me to let me know that I would not be moving forward with an offer because I was lacking in my technical interviews. Even though I was upset by this, I did appreciate the timeliness of their response. Most companies won't even bother to call you if they reject you, so I appreciate the thoughtfulness.

Interview Questions

• On site technical interviews: (1) consisted of a probability question, stacks/queues, and a graph/recursion problem, and (2) OOD problem: design an elevator system for multiple buildings. Behavioral interviews were standard STAR questions as well as project-based and teamwork questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for MathWorks

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

Applied Online for the position. Everyone has been polite and nice to talk to.
    1) Introductory phone call - Familiarity with the role and expectations
    2) Hackerrank coding round - puzzles and code with time constraints
    3) 1-hour technical phone interview - Interviewer tests concepts
    4) Phone call with Hiring Manager - Mostly about the role and work culture

Interview Questions

• Hackerrank coding round :
      Math puzzles, conceptual MCQs for programming languages and coding questions (inheritance, string manipulation).

1-hour technical phone interview:
      What are pointers, how are they useful? What is a null pointer?
      OOPS advantages and concepts(polymorphism and virtual classes)
      Code snippet(C) - find what's wrong/output
      Matlab - Matrix operations
      Python - Dictionaries and code snippet

Embedded Systems:
      When will you need an OS and when will you not?
      Threads and scheduling   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

The entire interview process spans 2 months, including 5 rounds of tests / phone interviews before the onsite round. Overall, I have a very positive impression during the entire recruiting process.

One of my friends currently working at MathWorks provides me a referral to a few positions. MathWorks was efficient and responsive. On the second day, the statuses of all applied positions got updated. Multiple positions were rejected because of "match not ideal" or "did not meet the minimum requirements," and two positions moved forward. The ASE position in EDG moved to the interview process first, so the other position got hanged.

The first round was the video round via HireVue. Don't have too much to mention for this round.

The second round was the online programming challenge on HackerRank. Mathematics problems are mandatory, and you can pick two programming languages from MATLAB, Python, C/C++, Java, and JavaScript. I selected MATLAB and Python (this combination is not recommended, though). The testing was not too hard for me.

After the online programming challenge was the one-hour technical phone interview. You will be tested on mathematics, one engineering discipline from Control Theory, Signal Processing, Embedded Systems, and Object-Oriented Programming, two programming languages from MATLAB/Python, C/C++, Java, and JavaScript. I did Control Theory and it's of intermediate difficulty. You may be asked to use HackerRank share screen to solve the programming problems. I did MATLAB, Python, and a couple C++ problems, not too hard.

The fourth and fifth rounds were both ~15 minutes phone calls, with the hiring manager and the HR assistant. They both asked about my understanding of MathWorks and EDG. The manager also questioned my motivation of applying to MathWorks. The HR assistant helped me to schedule my onsite interview at MathWorks campus in Natick, MA.

MathWorks was thoughtful to partner with their travel agency to book my flight, hotel, and shuttles, providing me a hassle-free travel experience. An email including the itinerary and the arrangement of the onsite interview was sent to me before the onsite interview. Also, five references are required before the onsite interview. On the interview day, I took a shuttle with a few other candidates from the hotel to MathWorks campus.

We checked in and waited for the technical interview engineers to lead us to the two-hour technical interview. Each candidate will be interview individually, and it covered the same topics with the phone technical interview. You may be asked to solve problem on white board or to code on the computer. Be prepared for follow-up questions to you answer.

After the two-hour technical round was a one-hour meeting with the hiring manager. The manager gave an introduction to EDG and asked several behavioral questions and asked about experiences in my resume.

Then it was the lunch round. Two current EDG engineers had lunch with me in the company. The food was good and we had a nice talking. After the lunch, they showed me the campus. I would say it's a nice campus and the people I talked to were nice and warm.

The last round was a one-hour meeting with HR. Benefits were explained and a few behavioral questions were asked. Don't be surprised if you are asked the same question by the manager and by the HR. I was given a booklet introducing MathWorks then was sent to the shuttle to airport by the HR. HR told me that I would know the interview feedback in two business days.

MathWorks was efficient to call me on the second day of the onsite interview, informing me that the interview feedback had been positive and they were going to run background check and to contact my references before they could make a formal offer. After another 3 business days, the background check was cleared and I got a phone call from the HR with a near-final figure of the compensation. One day later, the manager called to give me a verbal formal offer and the formal offer package in written was sent on the same day via email. In other words, the formal offer in written arrived exactly one week after the onsite interview.

Everyone I interacted with at MathWorks has been professional, responsive, efficient, and nice to talk to. Very positive impression about the company.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle multiple tasks and deadlines?   1 Answer

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

It was a phone screening with basic HR questions. Clarifying my resume, visa status, etc. The questions are not difficult; no technical questions at all. Asking about what I know about the position. The interviewer ended up explaining more details.

Interview Questions

• How did I use the programming languages mentioned in my resume. What do you know about this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

First is a HR phone interview, then a technical phone interview about 1 hour. Now I received a non-technical manager phone interview. In the technical phone interview, the recruiter will ask questions on what programming languages you choose in the OA.

Interview Questions

• HR: Visa status; Why interested; Introduce one of the project   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Boston, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

A 35-50 min technical interview via phone and screen sharing after passing HR for screening and HackerRank code challenge. The interviewer asked questions ranging from programming basics to specific field of CS.

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at MathWorks in March 2018.

Interview

I filled out the application online, and received an email about scheduling an HR phone interview within the same week. The interview was about 20 minutes, and there were no technical questions. The interviewer confirmed some details from my resume, like GPA, graduation date, work authorization, and when I would be able to start if offered a job. They also asked what I knew about the company and position, and why I was interested in the role. They explained the position in a bit more detail than was in the job listing, and asked where I saw myself in the company after completing the new grad program. They also asked what I was looking for in a job (generally) and what types of companies and jobs I had also applied for.

I didn't move on past the HR interview, but they had said the next steps in the hiring process would be a technical assessment online, a technical phone interview with an engineer, and an in-person interview on site. Overall, the interviewer was really pleasant and nice to talk to. They said it could take up to a week to be contacted after the interview, and I heard back within a few days.

Interview Questions

• Describe (a project listed on my resume) briefly and in non-technical terms.   Answer Question
    • What programming language are you most comfortable with?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about Mathworks/this role?   Answer Question

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MathWorks in March 2018.

Interview

Applied on company site, was asked to give the hr round first. Generic questions like why did you apply, what skills do you have, how to handle multitasking, visa and gpa.

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks in March 2018.

Interview

A phone interview lasting 55 minutes which has questions from the 2 languages you selected along with some math based questions. A design question was asked and you have to answer it based on your language preference.

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at MathWorks in March 2018.

Interview

I applied on company site and received a link to the video interview. There was a practice section before you answer the following questions. The entire 'interview' last for less than one hour. Received rejection email the next day.