MathWorks Applications Support Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,155 Interview Reviews

2.7

1,155 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks in February 2018.

Interview

First round, HR call, mostly behavior questions.
Second round, online test, mostly focus on math and coding
Third round, technical interview, including coding and other area such as control theory/dsp etc.
I am still in this round. Will update later

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the position? Why do you think you fit the position.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for MathWorks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in February 2018.

Interview

The interview process was moderate. They first do an HR screening. After that, they send you a coding challenge which doesn't require you to score super high or anything.
    After that is a phone technical interview with everything. Basic concepts in programming and Electrical engineering. It was fun but they require you to get a very high percentage of answers right. I guess I didn't, so I received an update from the HR after a couple of days saying that they went another way.

Interview Questions

• DSP questions and Linear Algebra   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

First is a HR phone interview, then a technical phone interview about 1 hour. Now I received a non-technical manager phone interview. In the technical phone interview, the recruiter will ask questions on what programming languages you choose in the OA.

Interview Questions

• HR: Visa status; Why interested; Introduce one of the project   Answer Question

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MathWorks in February 2018.

Interview

Applied online, HR schedule a 15 minutes phone interview after that, During the interview, HR asked some basic questions on the resume. After that, HR sent a link to an online assessment.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about this position? Tell me about a project you did   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Boston, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

A 35-50 min technical interview via phone and screen sharing after passing HR for screening and HackerRank code challenge. The interviewer asked questions ranging from programming basics to specific field of CS.

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at MathWorks in February 2018.

Interview

It was a phone interview round. I did explain them my interest for the position and asked them questions about it. It was comfortable and easy to talk. They did explain everything about the job position. I hope i will hear back from them soon.

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

The entire interview process spans 2 months, including 5 rounds of tests / phone interviews before the onsite round. Overall, I have a very positive impression during the entire recruiting process.

One of my friends currently working at MathWorks provides me a referral to a few positions. MathWorks was efficient and responsive. On the second day, the statuses of all applied positions got updated. Multiple positions were rejected because of "match not ideal" or "did not meet the minimum requirements," and two positions moved forward. The ASE position in EDG moved to the interview process first, so the other position got hanged.

The first round was the video round via HireVue. Don't have too much to mention for this round.

The second round was the online programming challenge on HackerRank. Mathematics problems are mandatory, and you can pick two programming languages from MATLAB, Python, C/C++, Java, and JavaScript. I selected MATLAB and Python (this combination is not recommended, though). The testing was not too hard for me.

After the online programming challenge was the one-hour technical phone interview. You will be tested on mathematics, one engineering discipline from Control Theory, Signal Processing, Embedded Systems, and Object-Oriented Programming, two programming languages from MATLAB/Python, C/C++, Java, and JavaScript. I did Control Theory and it's of intermediate difficulty. You may be asked to use HackerRank share screen to solve the programming problems. I did MATLAB, Python, and a couple C++ problems, not too hard.

The fourth and fifth rounds were both ~15 minutes phone calls, with the hiring manager and the HR assistant. They both asked about my understanding of MathWorks and EDG. The manager also questioned my motivation of applying to MathWorks. The HR assistant helped me to schedule my onsite interview at MathWorks campus in Natick, MA.

MathWorks was thoughtful to partner with their travel agency to book my flight, hotel, and shuttles, providing me a hassle-free travel experience. An email including the itinerary and the arrangement of the onsite interview was sent to me before the onsite interview. Also, five references are required before the onsite interview. On the interview day, I took a shuttle with a few other candidates from the hotel to MathWorks campus.

We checked in and waited for the technical interview engineers to lead us to the two-hour technical interview. Each candidate will be interview individually, and it covered the same topics with the phone technical interview. You may be asked to solve problem on white board or to code on the computer. Be prepared for follow-up questions to you answer.

After the two-hour technical round was a one-hour meeting with the hiring manager. The manager gave an introduction to EDG and asked several behavioral questions and asked about experiences in my resume.

Then it was the lunch round. Two current EDG engineers had lunch with me in the company. The food was good and we had a nice talking. After the lunch, they showed me the campus. I would say it's a nice campus and the people I talked to were nice and warm.

The last round was a one-hour meeting with HR. Benefits were explained and a few behavioral questions were asked. Don't be surprised if you are asked the same question by the manager and by the HR. I was given a booklet introducing MathWorks then was sent to the shuttle to airport by the HR. HR told me that I would know the interview feedback in two business days.

MathWorks was efficient to call me on the second day of the onsite interview, informing me that the interview feedback had been positive and they were going to run background check and to contact my references before they could make a formal offer. After another 3 business days, the background check was cleared and I got a phone call from the HR with a near-final figure of the compensation. One day later, the manager called to give me a verbal formal offer and the formal offer package in written was sent on the same day via email. In other words, the formal offer in written arrived exactly one week after the onsite interview.

Everyone I interacted with at MathWorks has been professional, responsive, efficient, and nice to talk to. Very positive impression about the company.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle multiple tasks and deadlines?   1 Answer

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at MathWorks in March 2018.

Interview

I filled out the application online, and received an email about scheduling an HR phone interview within the same week. The interview was about 20 minutes, and there were no technical questions. The interviewer confirmed some details from my resume, like GPA, graduation date, work authorization, and when I would be able to start if offered a job. They also asked what I knew about the company and position, and why I was interested in the role. They explained the position in a bit more detail than was in the job listing, and asked where I saw myself in the company after completing the new grad program. They also asked what I was looking for in a job (generally) and what types of companies and jobs I had also applied for.

I didn't move on past the HR interview, but they had said the next steps in the hiring process would be a technical assessment online, a technical phone interview with an engineer, and an in-person interview on site. Overall, the interviewer was really pleasant and nice to talk to. They said it could take up to a week to be contacted after the interview, and I heard back within a few days.

Interview Questions

• Describe (a project listed on my resume) briefly and in non-technical terms.   Answer Question
    • What programming language are you most comfortable with?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about Mathworks/this role?   Answer Question

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

Applied Online for the position. Everyone has been polite and nice to talk to.
    1) Introductory phone call - Familiarity with the role and expectations
    2) Hackerrank coding round - puzzles and code with time constraints
    3) 1-hour technical phone interview - Interviewer tests concepts
    4) Phone call with Hiring Manager - Mostly about the role and work culture

Interview Questions

• Hackerrank coding round :
      Math puzzles, conceptual MCQs for programming languages and coding questions (inheritance, string manipulation).

1-hour technical phone interview:
      What are pointers, how are they useful? What is a null pointer?
      OOPS advantages and concepts(polymorphism and virtual classes)
      Code snippet(C) - find what's wrong/output
      Matlab - Matrix operations
      Python - Dictionaries and code snippet

Embedded Systems:
      When will you need an OS and when will you not?
      Threads and scheduling   Answer Question

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at MathWorks in March 2018.

Interview

The process was fast. I received the coding challenge mail next day of applying for the position. It contains multiple section but you need to select your best 2 programming languages and there will coding questions as well as multiple choice (fundamentals or output based). Next round was telephonic which contained questions like top view of Binary tree and k-node from the end in one pass. There were other questions like what will be the output of this code.

Interview Questions

• Top View of a Binary Tree
      Find kth node from the end in one pass   Answer Question