MathWorks Applications Support Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at MathWorks

1,157 Interview Reviews

2.6

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

1 hour initial technical interview. The interview questions are pretty much what you find on Glassdoor. I felt comfortable in my field (Controls), but I believe a brush up on programming is potentially a saver.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for MathWorks

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MathWorks in May 2014.

Interview

Applied through the website directly and received email for video interview as usual. Then a HR person contacted me for technical interview over phone with one of the support engineers. The interview was really easy with all the questions repeated as per other candidates had mentioned earlier.

Interview Questions

• Nothing tough questions, everything is basic programing theory definitions and basic math
      Common questions would be like:
      Create a queue using Stack : Easy --> Use two stacks to emulate queue behavior
      Some questions on C pointers and definitions like operators etc
      Some questions on C++, operator overloading, function overloading, virtual functions etc
      Some questions on Java: garbage collection, difference between .equals and == operators
      Some basic math questions like Set theory questions, probability, and Arithmetic progression.

I infact got all of them right except 2 or 3 and did really well but after an hour of so the status on their application page said "Match not ideal at this time".   1 Answer

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MathWorks in February 2014.

Interview

The interview process has three stages. The first one is just a behavioral interview, where you have to speak with a person from the HR department. The questions are rather easy and are mostly focused on your goals, and background. After that, there is a technical interview of one hour, where you get some basic math questions, as well as some programming questions. Finally, there is an almost all day onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• The programming questions are the most tricky ones, for there are even very simple commands that you might have never used, but they still ask about them. In general, the questions are based on the basics.   1 Answer

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks in April 2014.

Interview

there is an online career fair first, and then I applied online. One week later, there come a video interview. It was 5 questions as glass door mentioned. One week later, There is a phone interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

I had applied online on the Mathworks website and I got a call from the HR after a few days. The questions were the basic 5 questions which are already posted on glassdoor.

The next round was an hour long technical phone interview. Tip: Study all the questions mentioned on glassdoor. 95% of the questions are repeated. Only if you answer 85%-90% of the questions correctly, you will be called for the next round.The same applies to the intern interview as well because this technical round remains the same. The questions are asked mostly as a rapid fire, so be well prepared and answer them to the point. Here are the questions asked to me:

MATHS
    -what is an invertible matrix
    -given a 3x3 matrix. Is it invertible? (Check determinant=0 condition)
    -given a 2x2 matrix. Find the eigen values
    -what is rank of a matrix
    -given a 3x3 matrix, find the rank
    -given 2 vectors, find a third vector perpendicular to both of both (Take cross product)
    -given velocity v=2+3(t^2), find acceleration and position at t=4. Given initial velocity=0 at t=0
    -Is integral from –Infinity to +Infinity, a definite integral or an indefinite integral?
    -Find limit x->0 of sin(x)/x. Talk about L’Hospital rule

BASIC PROGRAMMING
    -What is OOP?
    -What is polymorphism?
    -Find duplicate elements in an array
    -How do you execute .exe file in Windows command prompt
    -What is a recursive function
    -How to you check where the program (any language) is taking more time to execute and how will you optimize it. It was a vague question.

C LANGUAGE
    -What does #include mean
    -Difference between <stdio.h> and “stdio.h”
    -pass by value, pass by reference question when passing a character array
    -difference between && and &
    -inline functions. When to use and when not to?
    -int a=5; float b=5/2; Is b=2 or 2.5? Why?
    -One line of C code to identify whether a number is odd or even apart from using ‘number%2==0’ method
    -Difference between struct and union

MATLAB
    -Meaning of matrix A.^2 and A^2.
    -When do you use % and when do you use ‘!’ in MATLAB
    -What does @ mean in MATLAB
    - errors while executing m file e.g. function not present or incompatible data arguments. Why are they encountered? How to fix them?
    -Extract every 3rd element in an array of 100 elements
    -syntax to plot (1,11), (2,22),(3,33) on the same plot. Also add green color and ‘*’ for the plot
    -how to add xlabel and ylabel to the graph
    -how to add path
    -if you have variables a,b,c in the workspace. Delete only b

SIGNAL PROCESSING
    -Nyquist criterion
    -IIR versus FIR
    - Impulse to a linear discrete system, h[n] = [1 2 3 5 10]. Input signal frequency = 100Hz, what is the output frequency?
    -Why do you feel a bicycle wheel is moving rotating backwards when actually the bicycle is moving forward?
    -Difference between Continuous time fourier transform and DTFT
    -location of poles in a unit circle or outside. Talk about the stability.
    -is y[n]=x[n^3] time invariant?
    -what is a random process? What is autocorrelation?
    -h[n]=[4,0,1,0,2]. Find Z transform with starting point as the second element(arrow on second element)
    -Spectrum of x[n] multiplied by y[n] where x[n]=5n and y[n]=delta(n-4)

Interview Questions

• How to you check where the program (any language) is taking more time to execute and how will you optimize it. It was a vague question.   1 Answer
    • Impulse to a linear discrete system, h[n] = [1 2 3 5 10]. Input signal frequency = 100Hz, what is the output frequency?   1 Answer

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks in April 2014.

Interview

Got an invite for their HR video interview. The interview was webcam recording with easy HR questions. I got the following questions - Why are you interested in this position?, What makes you fit for this position?, Tell me how you handled multiple tasks?, Do you need sponsorship?, What is your GPA?
    Fairly easy questions. Then after a week, got an invite for technical phone interview.

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

They tend to call everyone for this position. I received a call even though I did not have a matching profile. Still decided to go ahead with the first round of video interview. After passing that, had a phone interview where I was asked the same questions posted here. Did not go past this stage.

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

The first interview contained some behavioral questions as they could be found in here.

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

I applied on their website, and the process took 2 weeks. And then came a phone interview.

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Interview

Submitted resume online, phone interview with HR, hiring manager, on-site interview. The process was good, They are friendly. Technical questions on previous projects were asked.

Interview Questions

• questions are standard, similar to other glassdoor users.   Answer Question