MathWorks Applications Support Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at MathWorks

1,157 Interview Reviews

2.6

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone interview. First, describe yourself with a project experience, then several coding problems(choose from java, C++, MATLAB and Python), finally some math knowledge(linear algebra, calculus,etc.) All quick questions some time is limited.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for MathWorks

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at MathWorks in January 2018.

Interview

1st round was basic pre recorded video questions. Basic Questions were asked on cgpa, visa requirement, achievements, what do you know about this role? 2nd round is coding challenge. We have to select the languages we know and basic questions were asked.

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

Everything was as explained by other candidates on glassdoor. Although these are the few new questions they asked me other than what you can find on glassdoor,

Difference #include<stdio.h> and #include "stdio.h"

Traverse a tree and get output as: (1,2,3,4,5 are the name of the nodes)

Interview Questions

• -Override Parent class's method in child class with different return type.   Answer Question

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

The first interview involved programming and questions in a chosen technical field. I was given the option to select two programming languages and I chose C++ and MATLAB. For the technical field, I chose Control Theory.

Interview Questions

• What is exponential and asymptotic stability?   1 Answer

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at MathWorks in January 2018.

Interview

1st round HR telephone interview, if successfully made it, will move forward to technical interview by engineer. Quickly response after submitting on campus career fair. The interviewer explained the fields of interests in detail and asked for the preference.

Interview Questions

• 1. Explain previous projects on resume
      2.What do you think you can improve in the next two years   Answer Question

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks in August 2018.

Interview

The first round was a video interview where I was asked non-technical questions. I felt like the main objective of the interview was to primarily guage the applicant's level of interest. The second round is a hacker rank challenge where you are expected to write for Object Oriented coding problems

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

It was an online interview, basic question were asked. Related to your past experiences and your current status, also asked why mathworks. basic visa questions and questions related to gpa

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at MathWorks (New York, NY) in September 2018.

Interview

Applied through college career website, got an email from HR the next date for an initial phone interview. Then 2 rounds of technical interview with one on Hackrank and one phone technical interview.

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

The interview process involves an HR phone interview followed by an online coding round followed by a telephonic technical interview and finally the onsite technical and HR interview. The interview is not too difficult but isn't a walk in the park either. You need to know the basics of programming as well as a mastery in either controls or signal processing or object oriented programming.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (West Lafayette, IN) in July 2018.

Interview

Long process. Try the referral route. I am currently having my technical phone interview this week. I would suggest to make a question bank of all the questions from GlassDoor and go through each of them (even if they seem very simple). Practice will make you respond rather than think. Coding is all about practice. Hence, practice using HackerRank. Also, take the HR call seriously and be prepared to answer some generic questions. You can write your answers on a paper and practice if need be.

Interview Questions

• For HR Round:
      1. What is your Visa Status?
      2. Did you apply to any other company and what stage are you in the interview process with those companies?
      3. Explain one project you did using Matlab to a non-expert.
      4. What do you know about Applications Support Engineer role at MathWorks?
      5. What is your GPA?
      6. When do you expect to graduate?
      7. Why MathWorks?

For Coding Challenge:
      Math: (Mandatory) Around 6 questions. One question was on three people taking x, y, and z days to repair a car and they get some amount of money. If they work together on a car, how much money x would make.

MATLAB: 20+ questions. They check on workspace and scope. At least two questions on scope. They asked about how to measure the computation speed of the Matlab script (Ans: tic toc, and using Profiler). There were several snippets which asked if the program would run or crash. There was a question on stem plot. Unfortunately, I could not attempt all the questions and hence cannot share here.

C/C++: There were 6 questions and two of them required completing the code (as is with many HackerRank problems). First problem required to complete a program where the user inputs the names of contestants who received votes. For eg., Mike, Mike, Alice, Ram, Ram, Ali, Alice, Mike, Ram, Alice. We need to find the winner of the election and in case of a tie, winner would be the one with higher lexicographical name (person with name starting with B wins over person with name starting with A). Hint: Use unordered_maps and vectors<string> to solve this problem. Second problem was very simple. It required knowledge about inheritance. There was a rectangle class and we need to complete this class (write constructor, variables and area function). Similarly, we need to complete the square class which extends the base class, rectangle.

Technical Telephone Round: I am yet to appear for it. I was given a list of different options to choose from and will be examined using a screenshare (as mentioned by others on GlassDoor). One of my friends had to code all the questions and was asked about PID controllers. He was asked only 15 questions or so as against a rapid-fire round. I guess it depends on the applicant profile. I am preparing for both scenarios. For rapid-fire we need to remember the basics very well. For the lesser-questions format, we need more coding experience than just remembering few basics as we need to write the code on screenshare. Hope this helps the readers. All the best!   1 Answer