MathWorks Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MathWorks Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at MathWorks

3.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at MathWorks (Boston, MA) in February 2019.

Interview

This process seemed backwards and a bit awkward from the get go. After applying for the position online, I was first contacted by the hiring manager and had an initial call with him that seemed to go well. I was then contacted by their recruiting team, with a form email that made it seem like they were not aware of the conversation I had with the hiring manager. I then spoke with one of the corporate recruiters who asked a variety of generic interview questions with zero reference to the previous conversation I had had with the much more knowledgeable and engaged hiring manager.
After these two calls, I never heard back... No courtesy email informing me they were not moving forward, and no response at all to my follow up email. Very unprofessional - I know it's 2019, but ghosting people shouldn't be an MO for any company. For an organization full of such smart people, they have a lot work to do on their recruitment process.

Interview Questions

• What's been your greatest challenge?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for MathWorks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA).

Interview

I received an email asking me about 10 detailed questions.
    Next I was schedule for a 30m phone interview
    Then an interview with my possible boss during a lunch (1 hour)
    I was then asked to do an entire day of interviews that started with a 45m presentation about myself. My potential manager and I worked for hours on my presentation back and forth over the weekend. I ended up doing 4 revisions with case studies etc

The day of the presentation, the room was filled with VPs, directors, overseas dial-in peers, and about 5 other soon-to-be peer managers. I introduced myself as everyone walked and and the vibe was great. I gave the presentation and apparently I bombed it. Although they laughed and seemed to enjoy the presentation and my overall presentation abilities. I was then walked around the office areas and told what a great fit I would be for the company. During this time the folks in the room were talking about me as a candidate. After all these interviews they passed on my candidacy and promptly walked me out of the building.

The company has benefits and a culture that makes all the time spent worth the shot at joining them.

Interview Questions

• A few caveats;
      Company policy is to not give any details or feedback as to why you weren't selected
      Any one person who views the candidate's presentation can veto the candidate
      They didn't have any other candidates that made it to the 4th round so they choose no one over me. They really do select carefully. I respect the hell out of that to be honest. I was bummed I didn't make the cut because of one bad presentation but what can you do.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks.

Interview

Recruiter I worked with was excellent! The final round involves meeting with 4 or 5 managers from different areas and a ppt presentation you must prepare about your career goals a and accomplishments.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Fair and reasonable

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA).

Interview

First step is the detailed screening by a recruiter who will expect you to have everything disclosed on your resume since the beginning of time with accurate dates for each position. Salary for each position must be disclosed including W-2 forms as proof of current or most recent total compensation. Everyone must make a formal presentation to about 5-8 people several of whom will conduct 1:1 interviews with you.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

very little; they make their best offer, so take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in November 2008.

Interview

Very thorough, and highly organized. The most efficient interview I have ever had. The panel/presentation allowed for a common understanding of my background among all the interviewers and allowed the 1:1 sessions to be much more productive and meaningful. Rather than my spending 20 minutes of each 1:1 describing the same thing, and only getting to the questions at the end of the interview, I was able to spend one hour describing my background to all, then have specific questions asked of me by each interviewer. That also gave me time for my own questions.

After the interview, the hiring process was very smooth. Communication with me was on a daily basis to set appropriate expectations, and when the offer came, it was as expected.

Interview Questions

• Please code a simple program using our product.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in July 2011.

Interview

The interview was conducted over a number of rounds. A phone screen, then an interview with 2 people, then an interview that started with a presentation to a group followed by a day of individual interviews with different people with whom I would interact after being hired.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay up to date on trends in your area of expertise?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation phase was an equitable process where I felt like I was well informed about compensation, time off, and other benefits and they took my current situation into consideration when creating an offer package.