MathWorks Interview Questions in Natick, MA | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 18, 2017

2.9

326 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

1.HR round(online video recorded)-15 mins
    2.Technical Phone Interview(Math,C/C++,Programming Concepts,Control Systems)-1 hour
    3.On-site interview(Math,C/C++,Programming Concepts,Control Systems)-4 rounds 9 am - 2 pm
    Programming Concepts
    1.Given a random array of numbers.How do you sort them?Select any sorting algorithm and write the pseudo code.(C)
    I implemented Merge Sort with merge subroutine
    I forgot base case ,I added later
    2.1/8th of a circle.(NS)
    I gave semi optimum solution.There was a better way without using trignometric functions
    C++
    2.Given inheritence hierarchy -which of the following is valid?(C)
        A
    A*Aptr =new A;
    B*Bptr=new B;(valid)
    C* Cptr=new C;
    D*Dptr=new D;(valid)

3.What does the following line of code do?(C)
    char*c ="Hello"
    char d[6];
    while(*c++=*d++);

Matlab
    What is primary function and subfunction?(C)
    What is difference between nested function and subfunction?(C)
    nested functions-can access variables declared inside main functions.

What is private function?(C)
    inside private folder
    What is hf=gca;(DA)
    gui
    returns current axes handle
    What is event function call back?(DA)
    How to access data members of a structure?
    What are cell arrays?
    What is this code doing
    mystruct =struct('field1',{1,2,3}...
    'field2',{4,5,6s});
    MATH
    1.Plot the derivative of the function(C)
    2.Find the partial fraction of given expression(C)
    3.Find the gradient of the given function.(C)

Controls Systems
    1.Explain lead and lag compensators(C)
    2.Linearise the system(C)
    3.Find the Transfer function from the state space equation.(C)
    4.Given x1 and x2 dot ,find the Lyapunov equation.(NC)
    Hiring Manager Interview
    1.How do you handle several projects simultaneously?
    2.What are your strengths and weaknessness,according to your advisor?
    3.How did you handle a situation when you missed a deadline?
    4.How was your experience at Grad School?
    5.If you are the dean of your university ,what would you change?
    6.How did you approach a task which you had no knowledge before hand?

HR Interview
    Why did you apply at MathWorks?
    If I gave you $2000 for training ,what training would you use it for?
    What is your plan after EDG?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA).

Interview

It was a nice interview experience. The interview has many rounds. First round is to record a video to introduce oneself. Then a technical one on HackerRank followed by a phone interview with a lot of questions. The last one was onsite.

Marketing Automation Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter through LinkedIn initially.

Phone call to the manager I would be reporting to.

Developer take home challenge which was to code a page as close as possible to a comp within an hour and a half timeframe.

Followed by a 6 hour interview starting with a 45 minute presentation on yourself and two projects indicating what you can do and how it relates to the position. After that you meet with 4-5 people individually answering HR type questions as well as describing yourself and skillset.

I was supposed to meet with one other team memeber who was on PTO. But before I got that chance I was told by the recruiter that they would be perusing other candidates.

I was given no negative feedback and left confused. Why you would contact someone, put them through your hellish interview process, then leave them out to dry? Maybe they're not as humane as Glassdoor reviews makes them look.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if one of your co-workers slacking off/ not pulling their own weight?   1 Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

I went through 4 phone screens and an on-site interview. For the phone screens, 2 were from the team managers, 1 from HR, and another was a technical phone screen.
    1. HR round - was fairly straight-forward, as you would expect from any HR phone screen.
    2. Manager phone screen - both the managers went over my resume in detail, asked about my projects, technical skills, etc. Know all the projects you mentioned inside out.
    3. Technical phone round - was for testing my MATLAB and C programming skills. The developer asked about matrices, strings, cells, and functions related to the same. For C, he asked standard questions like difference between pass by value and pass by reference, pointers, memory allocation etc.
    4. On-site interview - I had to make a 45 minute presentation about one of my projects, go over my resume in brief, and mention how and why I fit in the role of a technical writer. After the presentation, I had one-on-one interviews with multiple team members. Among these, I had a technical interview with a developer, he basically made me write some simple code in MATLAB. Lunch was a casual interview as well.
    My advice for the onsite is prepare a few questions you want to ask the team, they want to know how much you are interested in the team. Ask everyone questions.

Interview Questions

• What is your process of writing documents for new features?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process started with a hackerrank coding challenge. Once that was cleared, there was a phone interview with an engineer from Mathworks. Then the HR team called me to schedule an on-site interview. In the onsite interview I was asked two hours of technical questions similar to the phone interview and then there were 2 behavioural rounds and lunch with an engineer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA).

Interview

Of many tech interview I've attended , this is one of the bad ones
    The only good thing could be the nice accommodation at Marriott

First the hiring manager screens your resume and does a live coding Q&A session over hackerrank
    Then the HR schedules an onsite interview, after asking for a free day in a week he goes on to schedule the flight whenever he feels like it without asking your time availability on that particular weekday.
    After you reach Boston , they arrange a cab to the hotel , and later back to Airport, which is really nice.

So coming to the Interview itself:
    Prior to the interview, they ask you to prepare a very time consuming presentation which lasts for an hour, which would take about a week to prepare since as part of the preparation process you would also need to work with the hiring manager and incroporate his feedback into developing the presentation in incremental drafts. Now this takes a lot of effort , and apart from my full time job , I ended up pulling a couple of all nighters during my week of presentation. All of this builds up a lot of stress prior to the interview.

On the day of the Interview, I had around 6-7 rounds.

1) First round involved the hour long stressful presentation with the interview panel and the HR. This is where I got really irritated to see the dull and uninterested faces when I gave my presentation which took so much time and effort to prepare.

2) Second round involves sitting down with an engineer and doing hands on programming which mostly involves debugging. This was easy for a person of my experience. This was the only interviewer who was engaging , and atleast had some interest to assess my skills

2) The third uninterested Interviewer, asked basic Algorithms like the merge sort and array searching etc. Easy as breeze !

3) The fourth hiring manager round, was more of a discussion of how great Mathworks is , and how Mathworks keeps up with evolving technology , and why he stayed at Mathworks from 20 years blah blah blah. The hiring manager is a nice talented person , but is ignorant of how bad the other developers in his team are.

4) The fifth round is a lunch round with the Boss of the hiring manager. The lunch is nothing fancy, just a couple of Pizza slices from the Cafetaria. The interview was decent.

5) The sixth round was literally the interviewer slouching on his desk with tired sleepy eyes, and just fired a question here and there, with long awkward pauses. The body language of the interviewer was demotivating. The question were just really basic (and poor quality) for a five year experienced software developer. Question like difference between a class and an object, difference between pointer and reference, why inheritance is used. Question like these made me wonder about the quality of the developers that work at Mathworks

6) Seventh round was an interview with a web developer. Despite knowing that this is a not a specialized UI role and I am more of a systems (C++) developer, he goes on to ask very detailed syntax oriented css questions like writing code to animate windows , designing margins for a page layout , adjusting relative width of a window with respect to its parent etc. Though I explained the concepts that answers the questions, the interviewer kept pestering me to get the syntax correctly

7) Last Round was the HR asking standard behavioral questions like
    Tel me about a time you had to disagree with you team , and how you handled it
    Tell me about a time you had the most difficult task assigned to you , and how you accomplished it
    Tell me about a time blah blah blah...questions

All in all the interview from 9AM to 3PM was exhausting, disappointing and a low quality experience.
    The interviewers looked uninterested and portrayed the impression that no matter how well I did, they were not in a mood to assess me, and instead just wanted to get their 30 to 45 minute quota over with some basic questions that they would have googled to ask.

After two weeks involving multiple follow ups to the HR with no response, I did get a standard rejection email.
    Its a frustrating experience to get rejected after being asked such trivial questions in the interview.

Nice things about Mathworks:
    1) The Natick Campus is really beautiful. The logo at the entrance in impressive.
    2) Benefits as explained by the HR are very good
    3) Company has an excellent diverse culture. Apart from the team that I interviewed consisting of mostly Indian developers, I was able to see people speaking lots of different languages at the cafeteria during lunch time
    4) Each employee gets a closed full sized office as opposed to a open cube.

Advice to Mathworks:
    Stop Wasting Candidates time and effort with useless presentations, if you are not serious about the hiring process

Interview Questions

• Basic tech questions involving CPP debugging, algorithms & Data structures   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online. After two days I got the request for video interview. Checked the result online after less than a week. Unfortunately I didn't know about glassdoor before. This first round was a prerecorded HR round with 5 questions.

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

After application, one needs to schedule a phone call to verify details. They also ask questions like: how do you manage multiple deadlines, give one instance where you were in a difficult situation and how you solved it, etc.
    1st stage: take the hacker rank test, within 1 week, after the phone call. The test allows choice between 5 languages: C/C++, Python, MATLAB, Java and Bash. I chose MATLAB and C/C++. Most of the questions in the C++ section were from classes (constructor, destructors, inheritance, virtual function), pointers and linked lists. The MATLAB part was more focused on functions, including function scope, nested functions, virtual functions, etc. These topics are covered in one of the chapters in the MATLAB programmers guide.
    2nd stage: schedule telephonic interview. For the programming part, you can choose 2 among the same 5 options as the Hackerrank test. I chose MATLAB and C/C++. For the subject part, I chose systems & control.
    3rd stage: Onsite interview. Two ~60min interview sessions. One was technical and the other was with a hiring manager. Also there is one short session with a recruiting officer. Hiring manager interview was alright. Asked me about the work that I had written in my resume. What are your interests? Why MathWorks? I found the technical session to be more challenging.
    Total process took ~2 months. They disclose the results of the onsite interview, within 2 business days after the interview. That is quick and helpful.
    Hackerrank:
    end
    end

Phone interview:
    Explain OOPS?
    Difference between plot() and stem().
    What is encapsulation C/C++?
    What is function overloading?
    Polymorphism?
    You have A=3x3 matrix, and you want to multiply each column with diff. number, i.e. A= [1 2 3;4 5 6; 7 8 9] you want [2 6 12;8 15 24;14 24 36]? You can use row vector [2 3 4]. [repmat()]
    Explain PID control?
    Gave transfer function and asked to evaluate damping coeff. and natural frequency of system.
    Mex functions in MATLAB.

Onsite interview:
    Control systems:
    Lyapunov function and stability?
    Linearization and state space model of system.
    Relation between Transfer function roots and system stability.
    Laplace transforms.

MATLAB:
    Plot(), plotyy(), subplot() functions and their usage.
    C/C++:
    Write code for any sorting algorithm? (bubble, selection, merge, etc.)
    Static variables in constructors:
    };
    int A::a=0;
    int main(){ A a1,a2,a3; a1.foo();a2.foo();a3.foo();return 0;}

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

I've gone through HR screening (very simple questions about my current situation, visa status, how do you manage your time, how do you overcome a difficulty...) and Hackerrank coding challenge (Math, and I chose Matlab and Java). Now I'm waiting for the technical phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Java coding: implementing an interface, and another easy coding problem dealing with strings (like reverse char in a string...)   Answer Question
    • Math: you need more logical thinking than technical math knowledge. example question was: It takes respectively 4, 7 and 13 days (don't remember the exact numbers) for Matt, Alicia and John to build a car. If they all work together and build a car that costs $15000, how much money can be attributed to Alicia's work?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

I applied online from company website. I got an email from mathworks with link for hr screening round in 2 days.
    First round:- hr video screening
    Second round:- hackerank coding challenge
    Coding challenge was on basic maths c c++ and matlab