MathWorks Technical Writer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MathWorks Technical Writer Interview Questions

Interviews at MathWorks

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MathWorks (Saint Louis, MO) in October 2017.

Interview

The HR would like me to answer some basic questions, show some writing sample (code, project), and do a simple quiz. The quiz is about how to translate Matlab code into C++ code based on a normal mathematic function.

Interview Questions

• Why do you choose Mathwork? Why do you think you can fit this position?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for MathWorks

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

I went through 4 phone screens and an on-site interview. For the phone screens, 2 were from the team managers, 1 from HR, and another was a technical phone screen.
    1. HR round - was fairly straight-forward, as you would expect from any HR phone screen.
    2. Manager phone screen - both the managers went over my resume in detail, asked about my projects, technical skills, etc. Know all the projects you mentioned inside out.
    3. Technical phone round - was for testing my MATLAB and C programming skills. The developer asked about matrices, strings, cells, and functions related to the same. For C, he asked standard questions like difference between pass by value and pass by reference, pointers, memory allocation etc.
    4. On-site interview - I had to make a 45 minute presentation about one of my projects, go over my resume in brief, and mention how and why I fit in the role of a technical writer. After the presentation, I had one-on-one interviews with multiple team members. Among these, I had a technical interview with a developer, he basically made me write some simple code in MATLAB. Lunch was a casual interview as well.
    My advice for the onsite is prepare a few questions you want to ask the team, they want to know how much you are interested in the team. Ask everyone questions.

Interview Questions

• What is your process of writing documents for new features?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Worcester, MA).

Interview

It was a phone interview for a technical writing position at their Newton office. It was pretty relaxed, and she asked questions about my writing abilities and experiences. Overall it was a nice interview. I ended up not getting a follow-up technical interview, but maybe it's because I asked about benefits at the wrong point in the interview process (I'm still pretty new to all of this)

Interview Questions

• They asked about my ability to multitask   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Very time consuming, they string you along for no matter how long. Even when they know they arent going to hire you. Just because their primary candidate isnt yet sure about joining/ coming for onsite.

I had 5 phone screens/interviews with 4 different people, I felt all of them went fine until they sent me a reject just when I felt I was going to get a call for onsite.

But then I would gladly go through this pain again just for the chance to work at this wonderful place.

1) Applied online, got a call from a team member in technical writing department
    2) HR phone screen, visa status and basic hr questions
    3) Technical Interview with developer
    4) interview with Team lead of the dept you are applying to.

All of them seemed nice.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project you did and how did you document it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

The interview process consisted of three phone interviews (one with the hiring manager, one with a software developer, and one with HR) and an all-day, in-person interview (presentation & 7 one-on-one interviews).

Interview specifics:
    After the phone interview with the hiring manager I was given a writing exercise to complete over the weekend. It was fairly straightforward. Second I was sent a bit of MATLAB code to review and then discuss with the developer in our phone interview. And the HR phone call was standard. I was then asked to come in for the in-person.

For the in-person I was asked to give a 45 minute presentation about my experience, and then met with 7 different people - two other technical writers, the hiring manager, the tech. writer supervisor, HR and two developers. Everyone was so nice and it was a really great experience.

Interview Questions

• The developers presented a couple of hypothetical cases and asked me to explain how I would document them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in February 2018.

Interview

Process started with a phone screen with a technical writing manager. I then submitted a writing sample and completed a writing exercise (writing a sample help page). Next came a phone screen with a manager in software development.

Interview Questions

• How do you approach writing instructions for an audience with very new users and very advanced users?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in August 2009.

Interview

Very long interview process:
    1. Phone screen with HR
    2. MATLAB project: write a help file for a specific matrix operation
    3. Phone screen with hiring manager
    4. Phone Screen with hiring manager and affiliated manager
    5. In person interview: all day, starts with 45 minute presentation on who you are and why you are qualified for the job.
    6. Background and reference checks

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would code a Fibonacci series (not actually unexpected, pretty standard)   2 Answers
    • Describe some issues with floating-point operations.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was offered a salary $2000 below my minimum. I tried to negotiate and they were more or less in "take it or leave it." There are significant benefits, so I ended up taking it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in March 2012.

Interview

It was a pretty grueling process. The interview took all day, and while you get a break for lunch you'll have to be "on" during that time too. Most of it was pretty standard, but I didn't get a schedule and there were people I was supposed to talk to who weren't there. Overall, I got the feeling that the decision had been made before I interviewed, which was odd.

Interview Questions

• What would your former/current boss say was your biggest problem?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in August 2011.

Interview

Three phone interviews, one day of multiple interviews plus a presentation about my work experience to the interview team. Way more intense than I expected, but this pays off in the singular culture here; everyone is very committed to the core values, exhibits integrity in all aspects of their working lives, and gets along together both in doing work and having fun.

Interview Questions

• The technical interviews--demonstration of programming in MATLAB, technical questions about object-oriented programming--were difficult just because it had been a long time since I worked with MATLAB in college, and couldn't afford a license for the software on my own so couldn't practice beforehand.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Natick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at MathWorks (Natick, MA) in July 2010.

Interview

It was a long process. They were really particular about the skills they needed and had a lot of assignments prepared for testing my abilities. But, the team and the environment was really friendly during both my on site interviews. So i think this experience will be worth all the laborious testing. The length of the process was a bit long for me. But, i can say it finally paid off.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No. But, i think the salary standards at Mathworks are better compared to other companies in the region. So i think it will be okay to consider their offer.