Mathematica Policy Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 14, 2017

2.7

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mathematica Policy Research (Princeton, NJ) in March 2017.

Interview

Met with one HR and 3 managers of the group I'd be working with. All were friendly and had nice conversations about my resume and career interests. No difficult questions. Also took an easy Excel assessment test

Interview Questions

• What are your long term career goals, and how could this internship at Mathematica fit into them?   Answer Question

Program Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

Interview

Initial phone interview with 3 staff members, fairly standard and largely conversational. Followed by a full-day interview in the office with multiple interviews across the organization. Also largely conversational and standard questions.

Interview Questions

• How does this position fit with your long-term career goals?   Answer Question
    • What experience do you have with project management?   Answer Question

Project Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Mathematica Policy Research (Princeton, NJ) in October 2016.

Interview

Short interview over the phone, followed by group interview with about 15 other candidates and several managers from the project. There really weren't any questions other than that.

Project Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Mathematica Policy Research.

Interview

First I got a brief 10 minute screening phone call, asking me to elaborate on my experiences, why I want the position, and explaining the position a little. There was no email setting up a phone call time so I was caught off guard. The lady said she would retain my resume and contact me when they were conducting group interviews for the position.
    I got the call for the group interview several months later. There were about 12 of us, and we were given a presentation elaborating on the role and duties. We were each asked to introduce ourselves, why we wanted the position, and if we had computer skills. Probably 5 minutes of actual talking on my behalf. Then given a script of a phone interview and asked to read that out loud.
    We were told we'd be contacted within a week regarding the position, but it has been a month and I have yet to hear from them. This is extremely inconsiderate, considering the extremely low pay and low skills required for the position, and the fact that they didn't even think the position was worth a one-on-one interview. I had a similar experience when interviewing for another position at Mathematica, where I was told I'd hear back soon but waited over a month. Mathematica needs a reality check and to be more considerate to their applicants. Considering the dismal atmosphere I encountered at my interview, they are lucky that people are still applying there.

Market Research Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mathematica Policy Research (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied on Indeed.com for the position. The project manager called me back the same day and asked me to come in the next day. I came in the next day. I was asked about my experience. They explained that they did not do research, but did the recruiting for projects such as focus groups.

Field Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Mathematica Policy Research (Princeton, NJ) in May 2016.

Interview

MPR hosts group interviews for their candidates. First you're interviewed by phone, then if you pass that hurdle you are scheduled for the group. At the interview the HR staff, operations Mgr and the immediate supervisors are present, they are a very nice group of women. The interview is not intimidating if you don't mind speaking to a room full of people. Pertinent questions are asked not just about your skills but about your interests, your life balance etc. You are also given a history of the company. Altogether not a bad experience.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel comfortable speaking to strangers on the phone?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mathematica Policy Research.

Interview

I applied online in January 2016- the entire process took about 4 months from application to offer. About 2-3 weeks after applying online, I was invited to participate in a phone interview with an HR representative and two Senior Researchers. The initial phone interview was about 30 minutes long, and was very conversational. I was able to learn more about Mathematica and they were able to learn more about me, my background, and my interest in Mathematica.

About 3-4 weeks after my phone interview, I was contacted by HR to schedule an in-person interview at the office. The in-person interview was about 4.5 hours long. During this time I met with the HR representative I had previously corresponded with, 6 Senior Researchers/Directors, and 2 current Research Analysts (for an hour-long lunch). Each interview was about 30-45 minutes each. The interviews and lunch were conversational in nature and revolved mostly around my previous research experience and my reasons for wanting to work at Mathematica. Each interviewee was extremely friendly and consistently asked me if I had any questions for them, which I appreciated. I don't think I was asked any behavioral interview questions all day. From my perspective, it seemed like a genuine attempt to understand my previous qualifications and see how well I meshed with my would-be peers and superiors.

About a month after my in-person interview I was contacted for permission to reach out to my references. A few days after that, I received an offer. Even though there were a lot of phases and it was a fairly in-depth process, I had a really positive interview experience. Throughout the entire time, my HR contact was very responsive and provided updates as they were available. Even when updates weren't available, she was honest and let me know when she responded to my follow-up inquiries.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Mathematica?
      Why are you leaving your current position?
      What are your policy interests?
      Tell us about your previous experience/previous work in X role with X organization.
      What are your salary requirements? (phone interview and in-person interview)
      Answer Question

Program Associate I Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mathematica Policy Research.

Interview

The one on one interview was very long ( a little over 3 hours) which is what made it a bit difficult. I met with about 8 different people one after the other, and was asked various questions by each of them. I was exhausted by the end of it. Everyone was very nice though.

Health Research Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mathematica Policy Research (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview process was a great way to learn more about the company and meet people you will potentially be working alongside. If you've made it to the in-person interview, that is a very good sign. The rest is just to determine if you will be a good fit for the company culture.

Be prepared to answer behavioral and character questions about yourself and have a long list of questions to ask current employees since you will be meeting with a lot of them.

Later on in the hiring process, I was asked to submit a writing sample and sample code.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mathematica Policy Research.

Interview

I had a 30 minute interview with an HR rep and two senior researchers over the phone as a preliminary round. It's been three weeks and I still haven't heard back, but the interview was research focused. Asked about my research experience, areas of interest, and what skills I could bring to a teach research environment. Also, HR asked for salary requirement baseline and how my job search was going (what other places I've applied, where I was applying, etc.). No behavioral questions were asked.

Interview Questions

• Describe your quantitative and qualitative research experience.   Answer Question