Mayo Clinic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 12, 2017

3.2

Attendant Aid Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Jacksonville, FL) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview process included interviewing with 6 people in a conference room. Each asked a question. The atmosphere was very tense. They wrote something in a notebook every time you answered showing no emotion. Very intimidating.

Interview Questions

• Name a challenging situation you had in a previous job what did you do as a result?   Answer Question

IT Architect Specialty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in June 2017.

Interview

Submitted in March. The job description laid out a years worth of work which included evaluating the capability of the current process while taking steps to improve it. This was very interesting because this specific area of responsibility is the fulcrum IT will use to lift the delivery healthcare into the future.

In April I received an email to set up a 30 minute call with the Chief IT Architect who is the hiring manager for this job. I spent the time prior to the call over-preparing as usual.

On the day of the interview the Chief called me at the appointed time. He was in his car and conducted the interview while driving. I offered to reschedule or wait a few minutes if he wanted to pull over to talk. He didn't think he needed to. This is an obvious red flag. At one point an emergency vehicle goes by...

Three weeks later I got another email to set up two one on one calls and a panel interview. I set up the one on one interviews consecutively over two days followed by the panel interview on the third day.

Both of the one on one interviewers were in their offices while we talked. They each asked and answered a variety of questions which helped me understand their roles and how I would likely interact with them. I also got some good advice about the panel interview.

The panel interview was a typical behavioral interview with five people. I was the last interviewee. Four of the five interviewers were in the room. The fifth person on the panel was the same Chief IT Architect, who was once again in his car and driving in traffic in Minneapolis. The questions were handed to me after the interview began. I came prepared with a binder containing materials and work examples which, fortunately, were relevant to the questions. I was told I couldn't use the materials because the previous interviewees didn't use prepared materials. I was the last interviewee.

I have no sympathy for people who don't prepare for meetings and I saw no reason to put my materials away just because the people before me didn't prepare themselves.

I decided this was more of a game show than a serious interview to the group and I accepted their decision. I was allowed to use the resources in the room: a whiteboard and dried out markers. The questions were deliberately slightly akilter, which is common for these interviews. Any attempts to discuss what needed to be accomplished in the job itself were pushed aside. The person who would be my boss asked one question from his car. He disconnected for several minutes at one point and was otherwise silent.

The interview ended with the hiring manager asking the usual "Do you have any questions for us?". Rather than ask if they were actually serious about filling the position I asked why this process had taken so long. We were 3 months into the process at this point.

Slow interview cycles for IT Architects are usually a clear indication of weak support for IT Architecture practices within the IT organization. A second negative indicator is locating IT Architects inside IT infrastructure operations section of the IT organization. This is the part of IT that runs things after they are selected, purchased and installed. This limits the Architect's interaction with the business. Both these issues seemed to be present.

The answer I got for the long cycle from the Chief IT Architect was that he is so busy with other things. That's a surprise. When I was contacted for the first interview with him his admin offered me the choice of 35 time slots over 6 days.

On the 124th day into the process I got the so-sorry email from HR in late July.

I still believe this work is "the fulcrum" IT needs to launch healthcare into the 22nd century. I wish Mayo all the best in their future and specifically hope that the selected candidate is able to make the most of this opportunity.

Interview Questions

• I was asked an ambiguous question by the Chief that deliberately used odd synonyms for common terms in EA. The question dealt with the perpetual life cycle issues in architecture related to design perfection and long term sustainability but he used anomalous terminology just for fun.   2 Answers

Graduate Student Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic in April 2017.

Interview

My professor was employed by Mayo Clinic and he recommended me to a colleague. After a few months of silence, I had a phone interview and was hired on.

Interview Questions

• What makes you a good fit for our company/research team?   Answer Question

Reference Lab Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Minneapolis, MN) in January 2015.

Interview

It was a 4 stage multi-step process. Culminating with an onsite panel interview with people from several different departments in MN. Did not hear anything back for weeks. Had to call the recruiter for an update/decision. Overall it was not an extremely difficult process but the interview was a little disjointed because each department asked questions that pertained to them and some of the questions were not completely relevant to the role.

Interview Questions

• How do you sell a similar product that is more expensive than your competitor.   1 Answer

RN Staff Nurse Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in May 2017.

Interview

Received initial call from recruiting confirmed job and description and starting salary issues. I would suspect it was because I have many years of working as an RN in multiple areas.
    Interview was scheduled with the RN manager at Charter. During interview all questions answered and job expectations were discussed. I was very impressed with the entire process. Was offered a job 1 week after interview, I accepted. Am looking forward in being part of Mayo Clinic staffing.

Interview Questions

• Describe to me a situation you worked with multiple monitors, IV lines etc.   1 Answer

Statistician I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Jacksonville, FL) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an email two days later for a phone interview as the job posting was closed. The process was rather quick as they needed to make a decision. I spoke to them on the phone soon after for 30 minutes and got a decision in 4 days. The interview went ok but I didn't get it that is similar to the experience posted here before . They primarily asked behavioral questions, be prepared to provide example and describe it.

As it is a rather big organization usually they can receive tons of applications, It appears that they already have someone in mind or an internal applicant. They probably wanted to interview whoever qualified for the job just to be fair. The job description for the position is pretty simple without much elaboration on the type of experience they look for, it is not an entry level job as it sounds.

Bio Statistician Interview

Interview

I applied online and got an email for interview after a week. They called and asked a lot of statistics- related questions, my past experience, past project, and some behavior questions. The phone screening process didn't take too long probably because they were not that interested in me. I kind of get the sense they are looking for people with PhD degree.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Interview

Phone interview screening with a lot of Yes/No questions on technical knowledge, Six Sigma, etc.
    "In person" interview was done through Skype with 3 locations and very standard. Had a case study.

Interview Questions

• Phone screen: Do you have experience in Six Sigma?   Answer Question
    • Panel: What kind of manager do you usually not work well with?   Answer Question

Training Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Jacksonville, FL) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview was by panel. One key player did not show up. It seemed pro-forma and the participants appeared to have more personal information about me than what was formally offered.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about an ethical dilemma where you made the wrong choice and how it impacted your career.   1 Answer

Medical Imaging Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Mayo Clinic first contacts you for an informal phone interview, followed by a formal in-person interview. The in-person interview was one- on- one and the interviewers were down to earth and pleasant. I felt very comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Varied, some were behavioral while others were traditional interview questions.   Answer Question