Mayo Clinic Interview Questions in Rochester, MN | Glassdoor

3.2

91 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN).

Interview

60 minute behavioral interview panel with a panel of peers and managers. No tour and limited opportunity for questions. Read up on behavioral interviews and have a good set of examples ready.

RN Operating Room Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in October 2017.

Interview

Met with Nursing Placement Coordinator, Karen first to discuss position and orientation schedule. Then, met with RN Manager for surgical team and Nursing Educator to discuss position further and schedule/training process. Also answered a case scenario question and about 6 other questions related to RN experience.

Interview Questions

• What are your plans in the short term and long term for your career?   1 Answer

Clinical Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in October 2017.

Interview

After applying for this open position, my resume and cover letter were given to the hiring manager. They pass along the best qualified applicant's to the department who is interviewing. Once you arrive at the interview, a panel of 2-5 people will greet you and ask you behavioral interview questions and go over your past employment record and your skill set. If you are the best candidate for the position, you will get a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had to meet a supervisor or co-workers unreasonable request. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

IT Architect Specialty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in June 2017.

Interview

Submitted in March. The job description laid out a years worth of work which included evaluating the capability of the current process while taking steps to improve it. This was very interesting because this specific area of responsibility is the fulcrum IT will use to lift the delivery healthcare into the future.

In April I received an email to set up a 30 minute call with the Chief IT Architect who is the hiring manager for this job. I spent the time prior to the call over-preparing as usual.

On the day of the interview the Chief called me at the appointed time. He was in his car and conducted the interview while driving. I offered to reschedule or wait a few minutes if he wanted to pull over to talk. He didn't think he needed to. This is an obvious red flag. At one point an emergency vehicle goes by...

Three weeks later I got another email to set up two one on one calls and a panel interview. I set up the one on one interviews consecutively over two days followed by the panel interview on the third day.

Both of the one on one interviewers were in their offices while we talked. They each asked and answered a variety of questions which helped me understand their roles and how I would likely interact with them. I also got some good advice about the panel interview.

The panel interview was a typical behavioral interview with five people. I was the last interviewee. Four of the five interviewers were in the room. The fifth person on the panel was the same Chief IT Architect, who was once again in his car and driving in traffic in Minneapolis. The questions were handed to me after the interview began. I came prepared with a binder containing materials and work examples which, fortunately, were relevant to the questions. I was told I couldn't use the materials because the previous interviewees didn't use prepared materials. I was the last interviewee.

I have no sympathy for people who don't prepare for meetings and I saw no reason to put my materials away just because the people before me didn't prepare themselves.

I decided this was more of a game show than a serious interview to the group and I accepted their decision. I was allowed to use the resources in the room: a whiteboard and dried out markers. The questions were deliberately slightly akilter, which is common for these interviews. Any attempts to discuss what needed to be accomplished in the job itself were pushed aside. The person who would be my boss asked one question from his car. He disconnected for several minutes at one point and was otherwise silent.

The interview ended with the hiring manager asking the usual "Do you have any questions for us?". Rather than ask if they were actually serious about filling the position I asked why this process had taken so long. We were 3 months into the process at this point.

Slow interview cycles for IT Architects are usually a clear indication of weak support for IT Architecture practices within the IT organization. A second negative indicator is locating IT Architects inside IT infrastructure operations section of the IT organization. This is the part of IT that runs things after they are selected, purchased and installed. This limits the Architect's interaction with the business. Both these issues seemed to be present.

The answer I got for the long cycle from the Chief IT Architect was that he is so busy with other things. That's a surprise. When I was contacted for the first interview with him his admin offered me the choice of 35 time slots over 6 days.

On the 124th day into the process I got the so-sorry email from HR in late July.

I still believe this work is "the fulcrum" IT needs to launch healthcare into the 22nd century. I wish Mayo all the best in their future and specifically hope that the selected candidate is able to make the most of this opportunity.

Interview Questions

• I was asked an ambiguous question by the Chief that deliberately used odd synonyms for common terms in EA. The question dealt with the perpetual life cycle issues in architecture related to design perfection and long term sustainability but he used anomalous terminology just for fun.   2 Answers

RN Staff Nurse Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in May 2017.

Interview

Received initial call from recruiting confirmed job and description and starting salary issues. I would suspect it was because I have many years of working as an RN in multiple areas.
    Interview was scheduled with the RN manager at Charter. During interview all questions answered and job expectations were discussed. I was very impressed with the entire process. Was offered a job 1 week after interview, I accepted. Am looking forward in being part of Mayo Clinic staffing.

Interview Questions

• Describe to me a situation you worked with multiple monitors, IV lines etc.   1 Answer

Clinical Pharmacist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN).

Interview

very thorough, meet lots of people, behavioral based questions, very organized, well planned, went smoothly, can't complain. Starting from HR to supervisor to staff, they got all grounds covered and arranged very thing from transportation to hotel. Very pleasant experience

Vice Chair- Global Business Solutions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN).

Interview

Very thorough process. Started with a phone screen the progresses to panel interview which consisted of behavioral interview questions (which Mayo is famous for!) Second round interviews were a case study of a hypothetical book of business. Very through and although I didnt make the cut i was very impressed with the external facing part of the Mayo business.

Interview Questions

• Case study in hypothetical book of business and I had to analyze, make recommendation and present a plan of action to a panel.   Answer Question

Licensed Practical Nurse Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied on a Monday 01/09 and got a call on Friday 01/13. The initial phone call was just confirming interest in the position and then scheduling an interview via webcam due to my distance away from the actual clinic. Webcam interview was set up for 02/02 (first they had available). Had to set up a "tech check" before the interview to make sure the connection and everything was going well. The interview consisted of a panel of 2 people, one was a nursing manager, the other a hiring manager. I interviewed with the hiring manager 1st which was more like a regular conversation. Description of the job was given, followed by questions about myself, start date, etc. The main questions asked at the end were more so "behavioral questions/situations". This was basically a practice run before my interview with the nursing manager. There is a SHARE model that is linked in the email they send you to prepare for the interview, I suggest reading over it & practice. The hiring manager went over the questions & gave feedback on what the nursing manager would expect back. After that, about 5 mins went by then I had another webcam interview with the nursing manager. The exact same questions were asked with an additional 4 (7 questions total). That interview was a little more intense but not by much. Overall a wonderful experience, was told I would hear back within a week so hopefully something good comes back soon!

Update 02/03/17
    I was formally offered the position 1 day after my interview. The phone call was about 20 minutes and consisted of the job offering and on boarding process which will be official in a later email.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to work with a difficult colleague, what was the situation and the outcome?   Answer Question

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in February 2017.

Interview

First met with a placement coordinator who reviewed the training process and asked about 5 basic behavior questions + a prioritization question, then went to the unit to meet nurse managers and they asked about 8 behavior questions and another prioritization scenario question. Everyone was extremely nice!

Interview Questions

• A time you researched something and implemented your findings into practice   Answer Question

Management Engineering & Internal Consulting Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied for the fellowship on their website and got an email from HR scheduling a phone interview within two weeks. The interview lasted 30-45 minutes, straight technical questions about Lean Six Sigma and how you have used/practised the concepts. I was not able to give perfect responses as my experience was limited and I soon ran out of related experience for the responses. Needless to say, I did not get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Have you used any statistical software?   1 Answer
    • Have you mediated a discussion before?   1 Answer