McAfee Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 25, 2017

2.9

17 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Because it was an internal referral. I was invited to onsite immediately after one round of phone screen. It was really nice experience with them and following up from recruiter is quick as well. The only problem was my expected salary is higher than what they are willing to offer. So it didn't work out. Very nice people by the way.

Interview Questions

• What is the biggest challenge you faced during your current employment. There are so many challenges so it was kinda hard to organize it right and clean and to represent it. Overall, the interview was not very hard.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McAfee

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I was called for a on site interview, where 3 ppl interviewed me. They mainly asked about my last job and work experience and C technical questions

Interview Questions

• There was no unexpected Question. All the questions were related to 'C' language and asked to write programs in 'C' like itoa, malloc etc   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McAfee in September 2008.

Interview

Caveat: This is one of the bizarre interviews I have had so far.
    It was a very straight fwd process. Whole process took just a day. A written exam to start off, not a tough one at all. After screening, we were announced timings for the first round. The initial round was by an HR. He did not have any technical background for sure, so, he just asked two questions on basic math(apti/set theory, whatever you want to call it) and then the round was over. Looked like short-listed people would be called for the next round, interestingly none of the candidates were shortly. I was shocked, but, then it happens.

Interview Questions

• Question was on set theory. It was some application of demorgan's law. thats it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McAfee (Plano, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online. HR contacted me to schedule a phone interview with the team.
    Overall the interview experience was horrible.
    The interview was about 30 mins.
    The job description involved good C/C++ coding skills, writing rappers over kernel mode drivers, experience with Windows APIs and experience with Visual Studio.
    Interviewer asked me questions about software testing and not even a single question about the above mentioned requirements. Apparantly they wanted an expert software tester. There is not even a single word on my resume which mentions software testing. Why waste my time unnecessarily and schedule an interview in the first place?
    Plus the HR is slow in providing feedback. Overall a negative interview experience. The recruiter while screening the resume is not clear whether they want to hire a software tester or a developer.

Interview Questions

• Have you used any software testing tools before?
      Rate your python skills on a scale of 1-10.
      All such useless questions, not even a single question testing my knowledge.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McAfee in March 2014.

Interview

I submitted my application online and received a reply back from them to schedule a phone screen within a week. The phone screen was very simple, included questions from my resume, followed by behavioral questions, and a couple of technical questions. They were interested in people with prior experience in scripting.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to rely on your instincts. How would you describe OOP. What is the difference between a pointer and a primitive data type. What is the difference between an array and a linked list.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McAfee in May 2012.

Interview

most of the question are about OS, Network , C

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Interview

Invited for an interview, arrived and then immediately was led to a cubicle to do an impromptu 1.5hr low-level coding test. No "hello, how are you, welcome" etc. Interviewers had extremely weak social skills and it reflects horrendously on the company.

A 1.5hr coding test is insulting and hilarious to employees with university degrees from top schools with 10 years of programming experience.

Verbal portion of the interview was fair and standard.

Office layout was depressing and the area smelled of stale coffee and inactivity. Cubicle walls were high and a very old looking blue colour. Employees looked depressed, unkept and unmotivated.

Interview Questions

• Questions about what would happen in various hypothetical conditions if software was coded by amateurs. Interviews themselves were unsure of what would happen.   Answer Question

Win32 is out of date and low-level windows programming is a thing of the past.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McAfee in August 2014.

Interview

written aptitude round - 60 Qs, 20 each from quant, data interpretation and verbal.
    written coding round - 20 Qs, very simple
    personal interview - just basic c++ and java Qs. some trick Qs, apparently to test logical reasoning
    2nd personal interview along with HR

Interview Questions

• written round was hard. very hard. test was conducted eLitmus. CAT type Qs.
      coding round was very easy.
      interviews were a cake cause the panelists themselves had limited knowledge.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McAfee (Idaho Falls, ID) in December 2014.

Interview

I met with the manager that was hiring interns and he brought an engineer on the team with him. The engineer was a recent grad, so it was a little less stressful than another experienced engineer. They both made the environment relaxed, but I could tell that they were sharp guys. The questions they asked were fair and not crazy. Afterwards they showed me around the office and gave me a free drink.

Interview Questions

• Basic programming problem: Create a function that takes in a string and reverses it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McAfee (Hillsboro, OR) in January 2016.

Interview

Phone screen followed by programming test and then a one on one interview with four senior members of the team including the hiring manager. Coding fundamentals and common questions about tools used for code management, debugging tools, bug database etc. Programming basics like data structures and algorithms and why one is chosen over the other.

Interview Questions

• c++ programming skills implement stack and queue from scratch   Answer Question