McDermott Will & Emery Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 18, 2017

2.6

Intellectual Property Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Irvine, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Interview process took roughly 1 week. That week, I received an email on Monday from a recruiter asking to set up a phone interview. On Tuesday the recruiter and I spoke for roughly 15 minutes, asking about my work and education history, my career goals, why I applied, and my salary requirements. He thanked me and told me he'd pass on my answers to the hiring managers. On Wednesday the recruiter emailed me back asking to schedule an in person interview with the managers and specialists. On Thursday, I went in for an in-person 3-part interview. I interviewed with 3 separate people for roughly 30 minutes each. I found this particularly beneficial as I was able to speak with the general department head, the person I'd be directly working with on a daily basis, and the head of HR. This gave me a very rounded interview. One week from Thursday I received an offer, and after a round of negotiation I accepted.

Interview process may be difficult for those who find separate interviews challenging but each person I spoke with was kind and we had a great rapport.

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Dallas, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

Phone interview and 3 in person interviews at 3 different locations during a month long interview process. Very unorganized hiring managers who seem to make up interview rules as they go. After several interviews, I was basically offered the job after meeting with several upper management teams and attorneys. They performed background check and made salary offer. However, one of their tricky secretaries told her attorney negative things about me that were not true. Because of this one attorney and his secretary lies I was told that although I am perfect for job they cannot hire me.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

Met with a handful of partners/associates on the team, fairly straight forward. Walk me through your resume, questions for us, interests outside of work. I think it was determined prior to the interview that I was good enough on paper, so was more of a fit interview

Interview Questions

• Interests outside of work; resume walk thru; deal walk thru; convo about area of work from a macro perspective (not so much a question but clearly wanted to see if you had a grasp on the subject matter from a business perspective)   1 Answer

Guest Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was scheduled to be there for 45mins. The dress code was business casual and my interview was with the Human Resources Coordinator. It felt very informal and rushed. I was asked for my salary requirement but did not give an answer as I wanted to think it over and make sure I wasn't short changing myself. I emailed my answer the next day along with a thank you statement and never heard back from them. I emailed a week later requesting a decision either way, but never received a reply via email or in writing. They are very unprofessional!

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little bit about yourself?   1 Answer

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was very clear. Phone interview with an HR Coordinator, in-person interview with the HR Manager and Senior HR Manager, and a few phone interviews with the lateral support staff.

Interview Questions

• What is one project you worked on that you are proud of?   Answer Question

Legal Secretary Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Very brief. They were already sold on my resume/experience/skills. It was over the phone and all I had to do was show up when they needed me to start. I was very excited as I wanted to work for this firm for quite sometime. The people are great and I wish I didn't have to leave.

Analyst Postion Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online. First interview was within two weeks on the phone with HR for 15 minutes of pre-screening. There was a second interview a month later with HR and two manager. The interview went really well and managers and HR were very informative and ask great questions. I felt very comfortable and was interested in working for the company for the position. Thought everything went well. A few days later had a phone interview with the director for 30 minutes. It was a really good interview and was great to get to know the Director. Director recommend me for the job to HR. A couple days later HR asked me for my references and background checked. I immediately sent the information to HR. After five weeks of waiting for a response on the position, I emailed my HR contact. After two weeks of waiting for an email response or a rejection letter, still there has been no response. I figured I didn't get the position, because during the whole 2 month interviewing processing my HR contact would respond to my emails within in 1-3 days.

Interview Questions

• Interview question were relevant to the job position and how my previous work experiences would tie into the new position. Interviewing style was conversational which made it easier to answer someone of the more thoughtful questions.   1 Answer

Legal Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery.

Interview

Everything seemed fine... until they turned into the most unprofessional firm I've ever encountered after an interview.

I received an email asking for a phone interview 2 days after I applied. When I confirmed the phone interview for the next morning by email, I then received a phone call about 1 hour later explaining that they wished to skip the phone interview and bring me in for an interview immediately. The next morning, I met with 4 people, 2 through video conference from other offices, 2 from the local office, including the HR Manager. The interview lasted almost 2.5 hours, and it seemed to have gone really well. The next morning I awoke to an email asking for my availability for a second interview. As it was a week before Christmas, I had to wait a week for an out-of-town interviewer to come to Chicago. I met with 3 people upon my second interview, including 1 HR rep from a different office. Again, it went rather well. As it was only a day or two before Christmas, I didn't expect to hear back until after the holiday, or the very the latest, after the new year. I sent thank you emails, as I had for the first interview. I never received a response, but that is usually customary. The new year came and went, nothing came - no phone call, no email. I sent an email to the Chicago HR Manager asking for an update on the status of my application, again expressing my interest in the position. No response. The following week, I sent an email to the Recruiting and Operations Manager that I had previously met with. Again, no response. I was starting to become paranoid that my emails were suddenly not going through. I decided to try once again and emailed the other HR rep I had met upon my second interview. No response. The days and weeks passed with no response from a single person I'd met, or the people I'd sent emails to asking about the status of the application/position. At that point, I realized that I obviously didn't get the position and stopped emailing and never called. There would have been no point. Obviously, MWE is not obligated to provide any candidate with a rejection email/letter, but considering I sent three emails that were so blatantly ignored and purposely left without a response, their unprofessionalism is unprecedented. Not one but TWO HR representatives decided to leave my emails without a response rather than to simply have told me that they decided to go with another candidate. And they can't use the excuse that they were still looking for candidates as, after my first interview, the position was taken down. It was reposted just a week ago, about two weeks after my last email.
    When I got the first call for an interview, I was thrilled at the prospect of potentially working there. At this point, I wouldn't want to work for such a firm. Never have I encountered this amount of blatant disregard for any kind of professional courtesy from an HR department. My experience in recruiting, especially in law recruiting, has demonstrated that the area is usually known for its formality and compliance. McDermott obviously is above all of that.

UPDATE: 2 days after posting this review, I was sent a rejection email - standard/formulated and with no reference to the 3 emails I'd sent before.

Associate Attorney Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Unorganized and unprofessional. The first round interview was rescheduled in both time and location 4 times on the day it was supposed to occur, to accomodate the "schedule" of a partner who prefers to "work from home" rather than keep a disciplined schedule.

Once at the firm, I found all of the associates dejected, and unhappy. I had to ask around, because MWE only had partners participate in the hiring process. The rising star partner in the office sat down to interview me. Without breaking eye contact from his beloved iPhone, he asked me where I got me EE degree from, heard my answer, and left the interview. That was the last I heard from him, even though I took the job, and stayed for a few years.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The firm tried to bait and switch me into accepting a contractor position when I interviewed for an associate position. The firm ended up hiring me on as an associate with a higher pay scale than my class year was worth at the time. The partner's incompetence extended even to their negotiations with a prospective associate.

Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Irvine, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

HR lady asked really dumb questions and wasn't clear on the responsibilities. In hindsight, she was probably desperate to hire somebody. It was the worst decision of my career.

Interview Questions

• What was the worst job you have ever had?   1 Answer