McDermott Will & Emery Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McDermott Will & Emery Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2017

2.7

Practice Group Market Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery.

Interview

Initially, a staff recruiter contacted me and checked my basic qualifications. Then I spoke with the Director of Business Development. MWE is restructuring and wants only the most committed talent, so the interview was extensive and thorough.

Interview Questions

• What is your prior experience? What is your prior experience with business development?   Answer Question
    • What is your knowledge of litigation and intellectual property? What is your knowledge of life sciences and healthcare?   Answer Question
    • What value will you bring to the position?   Answer Question

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied through the company website and had a brief phone interview before being offered an in-person interview at their Chicago office. Two individuals spoke with me and asked a series of questions about my resume before moving on to go over my qualifications for the position.

Interview Questions

• Do you plan on applying to law school in the future?   1 Answer

Intellectual Property Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Irvine, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Interview process took roughly 1 week. That week, I received an email on Monday from a recruiter asking to set up a phone interview. On Tuesday the recruiter and I spoke for roughly 15 minutes, asking about my work and education history, my career goals, why I applied, and my salary requirements. He thanked me and told me he'd pass on my answers to the hiring managers. On Wednesday the recruiter emailed me back asking to schedule an in person interview with the managers and specialists. On Thursday, I went in for an in-person 3-part interview. I interviewed with 3 separate people for roughly 30 minutes each. I found this particularly beneficial as I was able to speak with the general department head, the person I'd be directly working with on a daily basis, and the head of HR. This gave me a very rounded interview. One week from Thursday I received an offer, and after a round of negotiation I accepted.

Interview process may be difficult for those who find separate interviews challenging but each person I spoke with was kind and we had a great rapport.

Benefits Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery in June 2016.

Interview

Submitted application on job site, was contacted by recruiter 2 weeks later. Two in person interview later, and an offer was made. The whole process was very quick, and they shipped a new hire benefits binder to my home address to review before my employment began.

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about your management style / how do you handle escalating conflict / what is your comfort level with various systems / etc.   Answer Question

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Dallas, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

Phone interview and 3 in person interviews at 3 different locations during a month long interview process. Very unorganized hiring managers who seem to make up interview rules as they go. After several interviews, I was basically offered the job after meeting with several upper management teams and attorneys. They performed background check and made salary offer. However, one of their tricky secretaries told her attorney negative things about me that were not true. Because of this one attorney and his secretary lies I was told that although I am perfect for job they cannot hire me.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

Met with a handful of partners/associates on the team, fairly straight forward. Walk me through your resume, questions for us, interests outside of work. I think it was determined prior to the interview that I was good enough on paper, so was more of a fit interview

Interview Questions

• Interests outside of work; resume walk thru; deal walk thru; convo about area of work from a macro perspective (not so much a question but clearly wanted to see if you had a grasp on the subject matter from a business perspective)   1 Answer

Guest Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was scheduled to be there for 45mins. The dress code was business casual and my interview was with the Human Resources Coordinator. It felt very informal and rushed. I was asked for my salary requirement but did not give an answer as I wanted to think it over and make sure I wasn't short changing myself. I emailed my answer the next day along with a thank you statement and never heard back from them. I emailed a week later requesting a decision either way, but never received a reply via email or in writing. They are very unprofessional!

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little bit about yourself?   1 Answer

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was very clear. Phone interview with an HR Coordinator, in-person interview with the HR Manager and Senior HR Manager, and a few phone interviews with the lateral support staff.

Interview Questions

• What is one project you worked on that you are proud of?   Answer Question

Legal Secretary Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Very brief. They were already sold on my resume/experience/skills. It was over the phone and all I had to do was show up when they needed me to start. I was very excited as I wanted to work for this firm for quite sometime. The people are great and I wish I didn't have to leave.

Analyst Postion Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online. First interview was within two weeks on the phone with HR for 15 minutes of pre-screening. There was a second interview a month later with HR and two manager. The interview went really well and managers and HR were very informative and ask great questions. I felt very comfortable and was interested in working for the company for the position. Thought everything went well. A few days later had a phone interview with the director for 30 minutes. It was a really good interview and was great to get to know the Director. Director recommend me for the job to HR. A couple days later HR asked me for my references and background checked. I immediately sent the information to HR. After five weeks of waiting for a response on the position, I emailed my HR contact. After two weeks of waiting for an email response or a rejection letter, still there has been no response. I figured I didn't get the position, because during the whole 2 month interviewing processing my HR contact would respond to my emails within in 1-3 days.

Interview Questions

• Interview question were relevant to the job position and how my previous work experiences would tie into the new position. Interviewing style was conversational which made it easier to answer someone of the more thoughtful questions.   1 Answer