McDermott Will & Emery Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

Sort:

Corporate Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (New York, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

I was called for an interview with three members of their human resources team. After I completed that step, I received another phone call to interview with the attorneys I would be supporting. Over the course of a number of hours, I interviewed with each one individually before receiving an offer that day.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my experiences, my college career and my strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

Met with a handful of partners/associates on the team, fairly straight forward. Walk me through your resume, questions for us, interests outside of work. I think it was determined prior to the interview that I was good enough on paper, so was more of a fit interview

Interview Questions

• Interests outside of work; resume walk thru; deal walk thru; convo about area of work from a macro perspective (not so much a question but clearly wanted to see if you had a grasp on the subject matter from a business perspective)   1 Answer

Associate Attorney Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Unorganized and unprofessional. The first round interview was rescheduled in both time and location 4 times on the day it was supposed to occur, to accomodate the "schedule" of a partner who prefers to "work from home" rather than keep a disciplined schedule.

Once at the firm, I found all of the associates dejected, and unhappy. I had to ask around, because MWE only had partners participate in the hiring process. The rising star partner in the office sat down to interview me. Without breaking eye contact from his beloved iPhone, he asked me where I got me EE degree from, heard my answer, and left the interview. That was the last I heard from him, even though I took the job, and stayed for a few years.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The firm tried to bait and switch me into accepting a contractor position when I interviewed for an associate position. The firm ended up hiring me on as an associate with a higher pay scale than my class year was worth at the time. The partner's incompetence extended even to their negotiations with a prospective associate.

Associate Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Boston, MA) in December 2017.

Interview

Started with a phone interview. The questions were not to challenging and the environment felt very informal, which was a little difficult to gauge. The partners were friendly and seemed genuinely interested in why I wanted to work at the firm, and why I wanted to be based in the particular city I was applying for.

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied through the company website and had a brief phone interview before being offered an in-person interview at their Chicago office. Two individuals spoke with me and asked a series of questions about my resume before moving on to go over my qualifications for the position.

Interview Questions

• Do you plan on applying to law school in the future?   1 Answer

Case Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

I was emailed to set up a phone interview with the Office Administrator. It went really well and I was told she wanted to set me up with an interview with a partner. I was emailed with the date and time. The next day, I was told they were 'going in a different direction' and that the in-person interview was cancelled.

Accounts Payable Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Chicago, IL) in September 2012.

Interview

The interview was set up through a headhunter. The interview process was very short. There were two separate people who interviewed me, the second looked at me like I was an insect. I knew right away I didn't have the job nor did I want to work there.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty basic, nothing came out of left field. This is my area of expertise and I believe my resume and knowledge spoke to that.   Answer Question

Benefits Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery in June 2016.

Interview

Submitted application on job site, was contacted by recruiter 2 weeks later. Two in person interview later, and an offer was made. The whole process was very quick, and they shipped a new hire benefits binder to my home address to review before my employment began.

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about your management style / how do you handle escalating conflict / what is your comfort level with various systems / etc.   Answer Question

Legal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Chicago, IL) in June 2010.

Interview

The initial interview was with the HR department and then the second interview was with HR and then the head of the legal assistant group. Both interviewers put me at ease and gave me ample opportunity to ask questions as well as really expand on my previous experience. The next round of interviews was with the attorneys I would have been working with. Again, very nice group of individuals and they put me at ease quickly. But I did my homework and I'm glad I did. They really wanted me prove that I knew my job inside and out by how I talked about my position, what I was able to do, what I knew about the field, etc. My last interview with the head of the department was a little more intimidating and very hard to read. After so many interviews I really was unsure of where I stood at that point. I knew they had been looking for someone for quite some time and I wasn't sure if I made the cut.

Interview Questions

I chose to decline only because I needed two days a month with flexible hours. The agency I was going through assured me this would not be a problem. However, the HR department did not know about my need at all (the agency lied to me). They had already made a generous financial offer and were unable to provide any type of flexible hours, even if it was only two days a month.

Guest Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was scheduled to be there for 45mins. The dress code was business casual and my interview was with the Human Resources Coordinator. It felt very informal and rushed. I was asked for my salary requirement but did not give an answer as I wanted to think it over and make sure I wasn't short changing myself. I emailed my answer the next day along with a thank you statement and never heard back from them. I emailed a week later requesting a decision either way, but never received a reply via email or in writing. They are very unprofessional!

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little bit about yourself?   1 Answer