McGill University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 21, 2017

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McGill University (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

The HR person was very nice. She gave all the details related to the job. The head of department gave all the details related of the department. At the end of the intreview I really didnt have to ask questions.
    The interview was held in a vey old fashioned way, so I lost the concentration thinking: really? They still ask these questions these days?

Laboratory Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McGill University (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in September 2016.

Interview

The HR lady phone screened me and invited me for an interview about 5 days later. There were two ladies, both of them took notes and asked questions. They asked me questions on my previous work experience and scenario-type questions as well, all tailored to the job description.

Regarding linguistic requirements, the interview was conducted in English but they did ask me something in French so if you identify that you know French on your resume, expect to be asked a question or two in French!

The entire interview took about an hour. The HR lady eventually got back to me two days later but no offer was made. Overall, it was a great experience to learn about the interview process for the academic environment.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your background, related experience and how it contributes to the position.
      What qualities do you like and dislike in your supervisor?
      What are your future goals? And how long do you give yourself to reach it.   Answer Question

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at McGill University.

Interview

I've applied do over 150 administrative position at McGill and have landed 5 interviews where i was called back for a second interview for each. At the end of the day no matter how amazing your qualifications, they always choose the internal candidate. All five interviews included 3 interviewers and never ending situational questions.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McGill University (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2015.

Interview

I was first vetted on phone by hr. then, met and was interviewed the director of the institute looking for pm. HR called me following week to say i was top candidate. Asked me to provide references and reached out to them. After not hearing for a week, i calked hr for news. I was told that although i was top choice, the union had not permitted the hire. Budget constraint. I was pretty furious. The process wasted my time and energy, and that of my references. I never expected a Univ HR department to go so far in a recruitment process without a green light. I checked on institute site months later to see if role filled. It never was.

Senior Administrative Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McGill University in December 2014.

Interview

The first approach was a phone interview that started explaining the fact that although this was a position of responsibilities the hour wage was quite low. Then we passed to general matters, such as are you currently working, how much time will you need to change jobs, what do you know about McGill and the question of why do you want to work for McGill was posed twice. The second call was to set an interview with HR and the person leaving the job.
    The interview with HR was quite long, almost 1 hour. They pose a lot of questions including: what do you currently do, explain your tasks, what are your strong points, what are your weakness, give an example of how who'll you get a long with a difficult colleague, what computer skills do you have.
    The same day they asked me to have an interview right away with the head of the department. Many of the questions already answered were repeated and some new added: why do you want to work for Mc Gill, where do you see yourself in 5 years, why leave your current job were you have been for x number of years.
    I got to question back both HR and the head of the department. I emphasized that the first reason to change jobs was to have a better balance between work and family. That seemed to be an issue with the interviewer who expected full availability beyond the regular working hours. I agreed to a certain degree, but not as my current job were extra long hours is the rule and not the rare occasion.

Interview Questions

• Where do I see myself in 5 years and after I explained by career ideal, why haven't you contacted directly the person for whom you want to work at McGill?   Answer Question

Programmer-Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McGill University (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in November 2009.

Interview

Very long process, slow bureaucracy. As an internal candidate, I found the questions particularly difficult and set to trip me up. This is unfortunate since I possess many of the skills required. Interview conducted by HR director, IT director and an analyst. I am not counting on getting this position but will definitely try again. My advice is to be patient and not count the days...

Interview Questions

• Tell us how you have been in a situation of conflict with other team members and how you resolved it. Tell us of a time you failed.   Answer Question

Technical Sale Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McGill University in July 2009.

Interview

I have found this company through a conference and therefore got the connection with the people I met in the conference. He referred me to the right person to talk to and that person contact me by email and saying he is interested in my CV and would like to have a phone interview. Everything went very well however, at that stage he is not sure whehter he would have the funding to hire me. And afterward, the company didn't provide him funding and therefore couldn't hire me.

Accounting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at McGill University (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in May 2009.

Interview

It was a summer position at University's accounting department. I applied through work-study website. Few days after recruiter contacted me for personal interview. On the date of the interview, there were two female recruiters, one asked questions, one took notes. The interview is about an hour long, with comprehensive questions ranging from technical to behavioral. Overall, it's not a difficult process, but if you don't have much interview experience, I sugguest you prepare the basic behavioral questions found on internet, then listen carefully to every question they asked. Some questions may seems irrelevant but your answer will show whether you fit the position or not.

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McGill University in September 2008.

Interview

Very easy going.

Simple oops concepts and a little bit linked list reversal

Boursier Postdoctoral Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at McGill University (Paris (France)) in April 2014.

Interview

Tout le processus d'entretien a duré environ deux mois, mais parfaitement organisé lorsque je vois où je suis rendu(e).