McGill University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 4, 2017

2.4

88 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Presentation of your recent research paper, the professors asked the theory of the paper, the contribution, and the results of it. The paper contributed itself to the finance world, using big datasets and quantitative analyst.

Interview Questions

• What's the data source and how do you manage your data?   Answer Question

Student Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at McGill University in June 2017.

Interview

The interview is quite formal. One hr and two staff from the department. They asked questions on the list, one by one, and they took notes on my answers. The last question is on French.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McGill University (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

I submitted my CV and cover letter via email, after which they called me in for an interview. I was interviewed jointly by an HR representative and my supervisor. A few days later they called me to offer me the job and to set up a start date. There was a bit of a delay in providing me with the formal letter of offer , which put me in a bit of a stressful situation in resigning from my old job, but it eventually worked out.

Interview Questions

• How do I manage my time? Do I ever leave tasks unattended till the end of the week?   Answer Question
    • How do I deal with a situation when I find an error in someone's previous work?   Answer Question
    • Do I have experience using X software or conducting Y type of research studies?   Answer Question
    • Why am I looking to leave my current job?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McGill University (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

The HR person was very nice. She gave all the details related to the job. The head of department gave all the details related of the department. At the end of the intreview I really didnt have to ask questions.
    The interview was held in a vey old fashioned way, so I lost the concentration thinking: really? They still ask these questions these days?

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McGill University (Montreal, QC (Canada)).

Interview

There was no formal interview as my supervisor was already familiar with my work since I had been working with him for some time. As for informal interview, the job was handed to me based on performance appraisal of my previous research work. Prior to this process, my supervisor asked me some mathematical question(s) on linear algebra.

Interview Questions

• As I said in the interview process, I was mainly evaluated based on my past performance.   Answer Question

McGill Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McGill University (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in September 2016.

Interview

The Tutorial Assistant is very nice! You don't need to worry too much about the interview because as soon as you are invited in the first place, all the courses you intend to tutor were approved inclucding the reference from a professor.

Interview Questions

• How and where did you hear about our McGill Tutorial Service?   Answer Question

Laboratory Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McGill University (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in September 2016.

Interview

The HR lady phone screened me and invited me for an interview about 5 days later. There were two ladies, both of them took notes and asked questions. They asked me questions on my previous work experience and scenario-type questions as well, all tailored to the job description.

Regarding linguistic requirements, the interview was conducted in English but they did ask me something in French so if you identify that you know French on your resume, expect to be asked a question or two in French!

The entire interview took about an hour. The HR lady eventually got back to me two days later but no offer was made. Overall, it was a great experience to learn about the interview process for the academic environment.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your background, related experience and how it contributes to the position.
      What qualities do you like and dislike in your supervisor?
      What are your future goals? And how long do you give yourself to reach it.   Answer Question

Special Project Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McGill University (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in September 2016.

Interview

contact by email and then set up a meeting. talked with the administrator who was responsible for all these. Simply talked to the administrator and the assistant administrator and asked questions in English and French, availiability all that, very easy and done.

M-1 Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at McGill University.

Interview

My interviews at McGill all made it obvious that they usually want an internal candidate (which i was). They dont keep up with industry standards but rather seek to save money at every turn.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McGill University (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online through a dedicated website, which automatically groups the best candidates into a pool that goes to the professor of the course for final selection. The position is unionized so if you have previous experience bing a TA that is usually very helpful in getting a job. For first time applicants, it helps if you know the professor as they have final say on the recommendation.