McGill University Research Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 8, 2017

2.3

15 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Presentation of your recent research paper, the professors asked the theory of the paper, the contribution, and the results of it. The paper contributed itself to the finance world, using big datasets and quantitative analyst.

Interview Questions

• What's the data source and how do you manage your data?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McGill University

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McGill University (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

I submitted my CV and cover letter via email, after which they called me in for an interview. I was interviewed jointly by an HR representative and my supervisor. A few days later they called me to offer me the job and to set up a start date. There was a bit of a delay in providing me with the formal letter of offer , which put me in a bit of a stressful situation in resigning from my old job, but it eventually worked out.

Interview Questions

• How do I manage my time? Do I ever leave tasks unattended till the end of the week?   Answer Question
    • How do I deal with a situation when I find an error in someone's previous work?   Answer Question
    • Do I have experience using X software or conducting Y type of research studies?   Answer Question
    • Why am I looking to leave my current job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McGill University (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in November 2015.

Interview

Practically no interview process; attended a faculty networking speed-dating event.
    The professors were very kind and clearly in need of additional research assistants. As I was applying in the Computer Science faculty, where there is a lack of CS researchers, it was likely easy to get a position.

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McGill University (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in November 2015.

Interview

Discussion over technical details required to solve an engineering problem to be worked upon. Negotiations regarding salary and contract terms. Discussions about my research work at the university. I was appreciated for my thoughts and communication skills along with my technical skills.

Interview Questions

• Details about the previous work.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McGill University (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in May 2015.

Interview

Basically Emailed the profs that you are curious about their research, send your cv and once they reply you back get in touch with them in a conversational language. Ask them questions about their research, show your interest on it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Why are you interested on my research?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McGill University (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in September 2013.

Interview

The supervisor suggested I apply for the position so I submitted my CV and cover letter. I was emailed for an interview shortly after. The interview was with the two employers. Questions varied from research experience to my research interests to creative initiatives I would take.

Interview Questions

• Specific questions regarding what creative directions/initiatives I would take in regards to their research area. I was sent some of the group's articles in advance to familiarize myself with their work.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McGill University in March 2013.

Interview

What was the job title or position?
    Please tell us about the recruitment and interview process.
    Please share the most difficult or unexpected question that you were asked in this interview.
    Please let us know the outcome of this interview
    Please let us know the overall experience of this interview

What was the job title or position?
    Please tell us about the recruitment and interview process.
    Please let us know the outcome of this interview
    Please let us know the overall experience of this interview

Interview Questions

• asked the questions about your cv?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McGill University (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in September 2012.

Interview

contact a professor on the phone, and asked me about my background and associated modeling skills, very causal, and brought me to a lunch.

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McGill University (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in September 2012.

Interview

It was not a difficult one. It was pretty much easier if you apply for a position based on your expertise.I liked the way the questions were posed and the interviewer was keen on testing my basics on the position I had applied for.

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McGill University (Montreal, QC (Canada)).

Interview

I e-mailed a professor to ask for a position in her lab, we discussed my transcript and my CV and she said she would take me on as a volunteer.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how to animate?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I asked for a position and she said okay.