McGraw Hill Financial Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McGraw Hill Financial Interview Questions

2.8

Lead Applications Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

Interview

Had three people interview me and an online test. Lot of conceptual questions. Overall a fair experience. I was later told that an offer was in the making and then they went completely silent. Strange!!! They could at least tell me why they ended up not making me an offer when they initially indicated that they would.

Interview Questions

• How will you go about designing something like google drive.   Answer Question

Technology Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

Interview

Efficient with smart, nice people. Some tech-specific questions as well as understanding whether someone is a good team and cultural fit. Seeking ability and potential to learn over a specific skillset. This was back in the day before they became as corporate, so not sure what it's like now.

Manager Interview

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter months after submitting my resume for the position. In fact, I didn't even remember the position and had to do some research to find the job again. The first interview was over the phone. The second was at the office with two members of the team. My biggest complaint is the lack of feedback. After following up I was told that I would hear something back with regards to the position. I never did. I was told that I would know the status by the end of the week. That has came and gone. For such a big company I would have figured that they would give some kind of feedback regardless if you have received the job or not. Minus that everything else was fine.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Do not recommend dealing with McGraw Hill Financial. Felt they were dishonest, used every chance to harass and discriminate. After interview weeks went by then asked for lots of references then said to hold on for long time, disappeared and after many more weeks heard staffers hired internally, disingenuous. Higher rated and bigger firms post outside only after internally. Ones I interviewed with said they were better, lol, seemed like coming off microsoft or mainframe because didn't understand today's stack or development. They asked about educational books and software, later checking McGraw Hill Education was sold. They became nasty, and started saying any education or background in software was bad, unbelievable. Look into them first, sold their books and educational software division but it kept the McGraw Hill name, and if you don't know that they'll turn real unpleasant.

They're just S&P now. Skill level even of managers really weak, seemed like they brought in from offshore without credentials and they didn't like anyone with real skill. Said what they did was all new and everything else like experience didn't want to hear about, trying to move to 'straight through processing', haven't heard software put that way in decades.

Checking they dropped 20 spots in rank and are about to fall off the fortune 500, in my humble opinion I wouldn't join them, seemed like sinking ship and I was glad to get out of their and after over a month after giving solid references was glad didn't get offer, had given up anyway.

This is very true and genuine review.

Interview Questions

• Can you just program or is design and architecture good? They said did agile.   2 Answers

Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied for the job online and received an email about two weeks later to schedule a short phone interview. That interview consisted mostly of screening questions about where I lived and if I would need visa sponsorship. Then I set up an in-person interview the following week. I met with two editorial managers for the interview, which lasted between 20-30 minutes. I heard back from the company regarding the position about a week and a half later.

Interview Questions

• General questions about experience. Have you ever had issues with editing a certain writer? What do you know about us? What experience do you have with content management systems?   Answer Question

Training Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

MHF's recruiter contacted me after seeing an old job profile of mine and telling me how thoroughly impressed she was with our conversation and my skills. From there, I quickly finished two additional interviews in a matter of days with senior staff within HR/learning followed by another one with a member of the UK office.

They were good at first about being communicative about next steps and consistently told me I was one of the top candidates for the job. They even gave me a deadline by which they would have a decision. I was weighing other job offers (which they knew), so the deadline mattered to me.

They blew past their own deadline by two days, and when I followed up, I am told about a sudden need for more interviews the following day (I was happy to oblige because I really wanted the job). The recruiter and the hiring manager reiterated that I am "definitely on the shortlist" and they were "definitely interested" in me. They were definitely building up my expectations.

After finishing this last round on Thursday of last week, I was assured that I would have an answer by EOD Friday. I knew I had put my best foot forward in every interview, and felt pretty good about my prospects (or had at least set a very high bar for my competition to clear).

Around 4:30pm on Friday, I hear from the recruiter. He told me that I didn't get the job (unfortunate, but not earth-shattering). However, the reason wasn't that I wasn't good enough (he said "you were the candidate to beat"), but because the hiring team had decided to hire no one and instead go back to the drawing board for the position entirely. Further, they would bring in a whole new candidate pool, which meant I would have to start interviewing all over.

While I recognize that nothing was promised, what a way to make a prospective employee feel used!

While MHF is welcome to carry out its hiring choices and its crises of conscience, their boorish, unprofessional and bait-and-switch behavior here is not what I expected from a well-respected company. After this experience, I'm glad I don't work there!

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Went through their first round of phone interviews, it was about an hour long. Two people interviewed me the first person asked behavioral questions while the second person steered more towards technical questions. The interview was rather straight forward but they were very friendly.

Analyst-quantitative Modeling Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial (Denver, CO) in December 2015.

Interview

The first step was a vanilla phone screen. After than I was invited to the office for an in person interview. The office reminded me of offices from a decade ago. The interviewer was not versed in Statistics at all, and asked strange questions. There were 4 interviews all together and most of them were in-inspiring. One of the interviews was a "technical" interview with someone in their NY office. He googled obscure questions (literally during interview) that he didn't have context for, and were ancillary.

It was a poor match. The interviewer seemed inexperienced and didn't even follow up after the on-site.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

Interview

Phone interview. one of the HR called me and had a phone interview for first round. Then second interview at the office with senior managers. They were very nice and the questions are not very hard.

Product Consultant Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

Interview

I spoke to a person who recently went through the program and was moving into a different position. Overall it was a good experience. I learned about the product, the company and the opportunity. I definitely would recommend applying if you have a strong financial background.

Interview Questions

• Why finance? What is an annual report? Talk about a time in which you made an error how did you handle it? How did you handle a difficult team member? What is something that you have been following on the news. Talk about what you know about the position and the company.   Answer Question