McKesson Financial Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKesson Financial Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at McKesson

2.4

Financial Analyst Interview

Interview

Found position thru a recruiting firm. 1st interview was with VP. Company employed the STAR technique. Roughly 45 min long. Conversation was somewhat informal and very relaxed. Felt confident and thought things went well. Did not hear back for 1 month. Then abrubtly was contacted for a 2nd interview. This was with the Director. Very similar questions and interview as first one. Received a call and offer immediately afterwards.

Interview Questions

• STAR technique. Situation, Task, Action, Result. e.g. Tell me about a time you led/iniitated a project?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was higher than expected. No negotiation necessary.

Other Interview Reviews for McKesson

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKesson (Alpharetta, GA) in March 2009.

Interview

Intial phone interview and then 1:1 interview with 3 potenial managers. Asked for work background and skills but very informal overall.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None - was desperate at the time and took initial offer.

Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKesson (Carrollton, TX) in November 2012.

Interview

Process rather easy. Consisted of one day of discussions with several Managers and future team members. Basic questions asked - Tell me about yourself, what do you know about our company, tell us a time you were challenged, tell us how you handle a difficult situation, internal or external customers.Hired within days.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle difficult situation, internal or external customer ?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKesson (Richmond, VA) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Had a brief call with a HR recruiter from their offices in Georgia for an initial interview screen. Had a second HR recruiter call from their Richmond office 1 week later. Both consisted of general behavioral questions and a discussion of applicable work experience. Neither were difficult - interviewers did not seem too engaged or interested, rather they seemed to just be reading from a predetermined script. First HR call also had basic information requests (i.e, are you eligible to work in the US, salary requirements, current salary, etc.) A few days later I was contacted to move forward in the process for 3 different one-on-one meetings with 2 managers and 1 VP.

Interview questions were all straightforward behavioral and "tell me about a time..." type of questions. There were no case interviews or analysis/skill set questions. I perceived this as a red flag in that the VP claimed they were looking for candidates with the ability to do analysis and think big picture rather than just those who would be doing basic spreadsheet work. True analyst interviews I've had in the past typically have been structured to evaluate analysis skills beyond the typical 'tell me about at time...' vetting process (i.e., case base - qualitative/quantitative).

One question that threw me off during my first face-to-face interview was when the manager asked my salary requirements, current salary and then if I'd consider a contract-to-hire opportunity. I was surprised given all these topics are generally covered during the HR screening phase. Also the position was not advertised as a contract-to-hire position on their website.

When I inquired about the contract-to-hire issue, I was told that they like to hire internally and when they look external they prefer to use the contract-to-hire option in order to make sure it's a good fit on their end and also the candidates' end. I found that a fairly lame explanation - they wanted to offer contract-to-hire positions because it minimizes the risk on their end as an employer and essentially places all the risk on the candidate. I told them that I was unaware the role was a contract-to-hire position and that I was interested in full-time positions.

On a side note, the job posting stated they were looking for candidates with 5 years of experience and preferably a MBA. I found this interesting given they essentially were offering contract-to-hire positions yet looking for top notch analysts. From my observation of the current job market, mid to senior, A-level analysts are typically priced above contract-to-hire positions. Alas, given the nature of their type of work and company culture, offering contract-to-hire positions apparently has been sufficient to successfully fulfilling their demand for analysts in their business units.

After my last interview I was told they would be making a decision very quickly and I would hear back shortly. A week later, after not hearing anything, I emailed the HR rep. A few days after that, they emailed back and notified me they were pursuing other candidates.

In summary, the McKesson Medical Surgical business looks to have a bright future with a lot of growth opportunities (they bought out their biggest competitor in that particular market last year and are in the process of merging the business units). Can't quite say for sure what my exact reasons were for being rejected (i.e., been better candidates, responses to interview questions). However, I believe my unwillingness to consider a contract-to-hire position may have had an effect on their decision. In all fairness, this should have been addressed in one of the two initial HR screening interviews and/or their job posting online. Would have saved both parties time (i.e., I wouldn't have wasted a half day of vacation).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had an effect on the bottom line.
      Tell me about a time you went above and beyond.
      Tell me about a time you made a mistake.
      Tell me about a situation you were pressured under a deadline.
      Why McKesson?
      What type of experience do you have with balance sheets/income statements?
      What other companies are you interviewing with?
      Why are you looking to leave your current position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at McKesson (Alpharetta, GA) in February 2016.

Interview

The process was very time consuming. It was for an entry level position. I thought I did fine during the interview, I followed up each time and said thank you, I knew all about the company - I mean down to a T. I made it to the panel interview. I then waited about three weeks before I followed up with the recruiter who then told me it was given to an internal candidate. Upsetting because I put all my eggs in one basket just to have it given to an internal employee.

Interview Questions

• What was your least favorite course?
      What are your strengths?
      What are your weaknesses?
      What did you like the most about corporate finance?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKesson in November 2009.

Interview

This was an entry level position that began with an fairly simple HR phone interview. I went into the office after and met with the financial manager, as well a current financial associate. They did not ask any financial or technical questions; it was more of a compencies-based interview. The interview in the office was loosely structured and it seems as though we just spoke about my resume more than anything else.