McKinsey & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I got an invite for the first round and it is the Problem Solving Test and Group Interview workshop about 2 weeks after the resume deadline.
PST
I've heard that during this round, the PST is what they are primarily judging you on. There is an unknown cut off score (rumors about it range from 60-70%) for a pretty challenging test 26 questions in 60 minutes. They have 3 practice tests online with answer keys. Some of the questions are like GMAT integrated reasoning questions but they're not exactly the same.
Group interview
There's a lot of variability among the group interviews depending on your interviewer. My first one would ask the same question to all of us but would rotate the order in which he asked us questions. My second one asked questions but would pick a random person from the group to answer the question and then ask if any of the rest of us had questions.
I've heard that the group interview part is just to make sure that you can work on teams (so it's good to add on to other people's answers and synthesize what's been said). I'm not sure how much the group interview part counts especially since for my second one: half of us got math questions, the other half got strategy questions so I'd imagine it's mainly to give people who move onto the second round feedback.
Generally, it was a very organized and structured experience. I really appreciate how quick the turnaround time was- I found out two days after my test that I didn't make it to the next round.

Interview Questions

• A company wants to increase its profit by 10%. How many of its mid market product does it need to convert to its lower market product to reach this target and is it reasonable?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Problem solving test was one hour analytic/ critical reading exam. Short on time. Must be quick with estimation and math.
    Group interview consisted of two interviews in groups of four to five candidates with a consultant working through a case. Consultant asks each candidate a question and others may then build on that response.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult part was time management of problem solving test to start the day.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

Interview

3 steps (post-resume/cover letter submission):

1) Problem Solving Test (math, charts, reading comprehension, very simple business concepts) & group case (check to make sure you don't have a horrible personality). Victor Cheng's online practice tests weren't very helpful, but the videos that came packaged with that are.

2) 2 interviews (~30% fit, ~70% case). The fit portion was much deeper than I expected, more details expected to be presented than I had prepared. You'll spend the entire ~20 minutes talking about ONE activity/challenge/event, and what YOU did. Don't expect a resume walk-through. Expect quotes from interactions "what'd you think?" "How'd they react?" "What did others in the group think?" "How did you convince them?" "How did you feel?". Cases were simple - same thing you can expect based on multitude of case books available on the interwebz.

3) 3 interviews, same (~30% fit, ~70% case). Fit same, case same with the following exception you'll see below. If you've read up on consulting interviews, partners sometimes throw a wrench into the case portion (perhaps on purpose, a stress test). Normally, you get standardized cases, pre-made charts, prompts that have been rehearsed and vetted dozens of times. Well, a partner may lead instead with "let me tell you about a case I did ~15 years ago". Not much background, no pre-made charts, etc. Whoo boy. Structure and organization wants to jump out the window - don't let it! Clarification and organization are key. Don't allow yourself to get flustered, or confused. If you're not answering questions properly, don't stay silent, let them know what you're thinking and why you're thinking it. They may try to stress you more (mine changed the fixed/variable cost ratio halfway through - at that point my mind was already gone). Oh, and always start off with the baby steps. Just because you know profit = revenue - costs, revenue = volume * price, costs = fixed + variable (and of course, who at this point doesn't know that), doesn't mean that THEY know that you know that. They need to see that basic level of structure, even if you've already skipped to drivers of revenue or cost.

Good luck!

Oh, and disappointingly, feedback from third round was "meh". Very general, not much actionable. One makes it to the final round of McK and goes "alright, I may not have grabbed this brass ring, but getting here means I'm sooooo close to a different brass ring". Well, they say candidates find feedback to be valuable in obtaining other jobs regardless of the McK outcome. I didn't find that at all, disappointingly. Everything prior to that was positive, but to get a "no offer" plus nothing that'll help me develop was a rather disappointing conclusion.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a "ridiculous" (in terms of magnitude) challenge that you confronted & then conquered.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2014.

Interview

The interviewing process is pretty pleasant. Before the interviews, current consultant will hold workshops to help the preparation. The First round is PST test, which give me barely enough time to finish. The second round is two one on one interviews. The consultants are nice. Even if you are stuck, they are trying to help you. So the entire experience is nice. However, the passing bar is quite high. You probably need to work on a lot of details to do a good job.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied online - process took 3 weeks. Interviews were very structured and case based. Interviewers were friendly and sociable, did not feel like it was a "stress interview". Communication was pretty quick, in terms of results after interview round and next steps. The group interviews (first round) were interesting in that we are thrown into a group of fellow-interviewees we've never met before and asked to solve a case. It was actually a friendlier experience than I expected.

Interview Questions

• Business case with a difficult math question. It had a twist and I did not catch it right away. I tried to back up and recover, but I think the stumble affected my flow for the rest of the case.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Submitted CV
    call for 1st round math test 2 weeks later
    call for 2nd round interview the week after
    Decision 1 week later - no offer

The team is very supportive. It feels like college admissions all over again. The process is highly transparent even amongst other applicants - they reveal the list of people who make it at each stage of the interview process.

Most consultants were friendly.Two consultants were snarky. One consultant was not nice, but he was the exception to the rule.

Interview Questions

• Math test was probably the hardest part - unlike anything you've seen before in GREs or GMATs
      Fit interview- they interrupt all the time for details
      Case interviews - standard, with some challenging graphs, but overall okay   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Summit, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Summit, NJ) in February 2013.

Interview

Submitted cover letter and resume online. Heard back in one month. Professional staff and location. Very specific information about testing and follow-up. Highly difficult test before getting to the interview stage.

Interview Questions

• Took a one-hour long math test.   1 Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

1st round was PST which evaluate math and reasoning capability.
    2nd round is case interview + personal experience.
    I didn't get invited to 3rd round interview which will be the office interview.

Interview Questions

• There was no suprising question. It is very well organized and they seemed to try best to make all candidates well informed before coming to interview. such as workshop and coaching session. Which were relly usuful. However the exhibition I was given was a way more complicated than the one I met through this workshop or coaching session. That was the only one I found challenging   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2013.

Interview

There was an intro exam prior to the first and second round interviews. McKinsey matched candidates with buddies who helped prepare them for the interview. The case questions were difficult.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a conflict with your boss?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

First round: Problem-solving test (PST). One will need to prepare for this. 2nd rd: 2 cases (interviewer led) with a different interviewer for each, with part of a half-hour set aside for 2 experience interviews. There are practice PST's online, videos, and they have a coaching session and buddy system if you get to the 2nd rd.

2nd rd cases were (paraphrased):
    -Broadband access to all of Australia with 90% of population already with access. What is the right combination of technologies to give the final 10% access over the next 8-10yrs?
    -Southeast Asian province school system with attendance probs. What factors to look at as to why that may be addressed?
    Experience interview q's:
    -Time you had a difficult time in a group, and how addressed?
    -Time you had disagreement at work or in group, and how resolved?

Interview Questions

• Both experience interview q's. As a physician, working in a hierarchical system, these gave me little chance to shine. Not to mention I had prepared more for q's along the lines of: time you face a challenge, and how you worked it out, etc. It's hard to positively spin a q to show positive characteristics like how did you resolve a disagreement in a group, when your answer is, "I had to shut my mouth and deal with it." Also, I blew the broadband case. Couldn't come up with a good structure.   1 Answer