McKinsey & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2017

3.7

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Fairly arduous interview process. After applying, I completed a set of online questions/tests. After passing the test, I was offered a first round interview in San Francisco. Was flown up for one day and interviewed with 2 consultants. Interview took place on Friday and by Monday I learned that I had passed. Was offered a second interview for the same week on Friday at the local Los Angeles office, where I had 3 interviews. McKinsey's website does a good job of explaining interview structure.

Interview Questions

• Some cases were quite unusual and difficult to follow. Best way to answer is to ask clarifying questions when you don't understand   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Very friendly and supportive interview process. Submitted resume online, and received a call within a month. Took the PST in the New York office, and was invited back for the first round of interviews 2 weeks later. The interviewers were very nice and made me feel at east at every stage

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

The applications were on campus from my MBA program. The interview was typical consulting style interview. The first round was 2 cases back to back, with almost no PEI element to it.

The cases were fairly standardized, except that in one case they used an iPad and an interactive exhibit instead of standard paper exhibits.

The final round was at the McKinsey office in the city I had chosen. The interview was 3 cases back to back with 15 mins Personal Experience and 30 mins cases.

Interview Questions

• A case on a furniture manufacturer facing difficulty realizing profits.   Answer Question
    • A case on Automotive aftermarket spares e-commerce vendor   Answer Question
    • A case on a travel company struggling to keep up with competitors   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Overall, it was a very pleasant experience. It was a first round interview for a consultant position. It consisted of two cases and two personal interviews with two consultants in a group format. Frist, they asked us several questions about our background, why we were interested in consulting, etc. Then we were given a case to solve, followed by a discussion with interviewing consultant about their experience at McKinsey. Both consultant I had interviewer with were very friendly. Even though I did not pass to the second round, both cases and personal interview was informative and interesting.

Interview Questions

• First round interview consisted of 2 interviews in the team of 5 people. In each interview we were given one case that we were suppose to solve together. In each case we were a sheet of paper with chart or table with the data about the company. First question was about how to approach the case, i.e. what framework/issue tree we would use and major areas we will look at. Second question was about some math and calculations. Third question was about general market/competitors/strategy. And the last question was a summary that we would provide for the CEO.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Two consultants from two different offices asked personality/fit type questions first, and then dove in to the case. Even though the case was presented much more conversational as expected, they still were looking to see very well though out, organized answers in the typical case style. The atmosphere was very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked with people and were faced with a conflict.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

After passing the PST and the group case interview stages I was invited to participate in Round 1, one-on-one interviews. The interviewers were extremely nice and very comforting, which was helpful but also made it difficult to figure out how I was actually doing. They asked 1 experience question and then went into the case. Thought I did a pretty strong job, but had a few hiccups on the math which I think let me down.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to deal with a difficult team member   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview involved mostly going through many case interview type things. Nothing crazy. Just obvious things that people do in case interviews. I really liked the people that interviewed me. They were very casual and not intimidating. The interview was actually really fun. I would recommend anyone and everyone to interview for them.

Interview Questions

• If you were a mammal, which continent would you live on?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

(Recruited from undergrad business program) Interviewer led case interviews. Cases were tough--they'll give one that's fairly straightforward, like profitability, but they'll also give at least one that's a trickier case, oftentimes social or public sector related that defies the standard frameworks. They also expect you to ask for time after most of their questions, and expect you to generate a well structured laundry list of ideas/answers since they are leading you through it instead of you having to spend brainpower on finding the right "path." Their PEI's are probably the hardest part though--they ask you to talk about a very specific experience where they might literally tell you to describe one specific meeting and provide a line-by-line of what happened and what was said. You can find the categories for their PEI's on their website--they only have 3 or 4 questions that they could ask you, so there's no excuse for not being prepared.

Overall I felt like they are tough but fair. But you do have to do a lot of preparation beforehand.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process was quite clear. Multiple rounds starting with a quantitative assessment and a group case interview. This was followed by two case interviews in Round 2, and then more case interviews and fit interviews in Round 3. Surprised the "fit" portions were minimal. Practice frameworks and case interivews are available. Emphasis on structured responses. No need to be too creative.

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

I had gotten an interview through my school's on-campus recruiting program. The interview did not really deviate from the descriptions that I had found in various prep books. It consisted of two back-to-back interviews with different consultants. Each interview began with a heavily-guided behavioral question, in which I had to tell a story relating to a situation ("tell me about a time when you..."), and followed the storytelling with a case. The cases were pretty straightforward. There were a few quantitative questions in each case, but nothing more difficult than basic arithmetic. Each interview concluded with a chance to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• There weren't really any curveball questions. Just do your practice cases.   Answer Question