McKinsey & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.8

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

Classic McKinsey structure: Personal Experience Interview, followed by Case Interview. Just look thru the questions people post on GlassDoor, there's nothing that new. Also go through McKinsey cases on their website to brush up on how their case structure works.

Interview Questions

• What was a time when you worked in a group to overcome a challenge?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2019.

Interview

Overall bad experience. Three McKinsey consultants came to our university (Penn State) and gave a presentation and took resumes. The consultant that gave most of presentation just clicked through the slides. I have never seen a more unenthusiastic person give a presentation. Got a call to do a phone interview (10 minutes and informal). Unfortunately, it was this same guy. After we talked he said that he was basically vetting students before the on-site interviews. He said the office would contact me to schedule the on -site interview. I never got a call and then a week later he texted me and asked how the interview went. I replied and told him I never interviewed and he never responded. I hope you don't have to experience this sorry excuse for an interview process if want to work here.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at McKinsey?   1 Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

It was a one on one interview that was focused on assessing my technical skills. My interviewers were very hostile and did not seem interested in what I had to say and did not ask any follow up questions. Interview day was also extremely disorganized

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenging project you’ve worked on in the past   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dub, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Dub, AR) in March 2019.

Interview

The interview is of tow rounds and each round has two case and PE questions. If you pass the first round you the second round will be partners who will push you to your limits

Interview Questions

• Tell story where you face a challenge to change someone’s opinion?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in August 2018.

Interview

First you create a profile on the McKinsey website so that you can apply online. The application is pretty detailed and asks about prior test scores (GRE, GMAT, SAT ect). Resumes and Cover letters need to be tailored to the position and company. On the day of the interviews I had two interviews consisting of fit portion and case (50min each). Fit portion lasted about 10 minutes while the cases were about 40 minutes. I was not required to take the PST

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in August 2018.

Interview

There we two interviews. Each interview comprises of a personal interview and a case interview. In the personal interview the interview will ask for a story that helps him/her judge certain attributes like leadership and drive. In the case interview interview will ask you to solve a business case similar to what they do in the field. The interviews are very nice and pleasant during the interviewing process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were in a group and faced challenges. What did you do?   1 Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

The online test (SHL) is really difficult. I was told by the person recruiting me that all the preparation I did for the case studies would more than prepare me well for the SHL but that was false; the SHL tests totally different capabilities and skills. And I'm pretty sure McKinsey automatically weeds out people who score less than 70-80% on the SHL and won't even offer them an interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

2 rounds of interview in one day. The first round takes place in the morning, and upon passing the first round, the second round is in the afternoon.

There are 2 one-on-one interviews in each round. Each interview consists of 30 min personal experience interview, and then 30 min case interview.

The second round of interview is with managers and partners, and the case is more difficult and complex.

Interview Questions

McKinsey & Company Response

Jul 11, 2018 – Recruiting Expert

Thanks for your review - we're glad to hear it was a positive experience even if a difficult one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Baltimore, MD) in September 2017.

Interview

On campus recruiter was prompted to a resume drop shortly there after than a 30 min round 1 interview at my college or university a behavioral interview and a case interview both weee one on one there was a short lag time with offerresponses

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Fairly arduous interview process. After applying, I completed a set of online questions/tests. After passing the test, I was offered a first round interview in San Francisco. Was flown up for one day and interviewed with 2 consultants. Interview took place on Friday and by Monday I learned that I had passed. Was offered a second interview for the same week on Friday at the local Los Angeles office, where I had 3 interviews. McKinsey's website does a good job of explaining interview structure.

Interview Questions

• Some cases were quite unusual and difficult to follow. Best way to answer is to ask clarifying questions when you don't understand   1 Answer