McKinsey & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Overall, it was a very pleasant experience. It was a first round interview for a consultant position. It consisted of two cases and two personal interviews with two consultants in a group format. Frist, they asked us several questions about our background, why we were interested in consulting, etc. Then we were given a case to solve, followed by a discussion with interviewing consultant about their experience at McKinsey. Both consultant I had interviewer with were very friendly. Even though I did not pass to the second round, both cases and personal interview was informative and interesting.

Interview Questions

• First round interview consisted of 2 interviews in the team of 5 people. In each interview we were given one case that we were suppose to solve together. In each case we were a sheet of paper with chart or table with the data about the company. First question was about how to approach the case, i.e. what framework/issue tree we would use and major areas we will look at. Second question was about some math and calculations. Third question was about general market/competitors/strategy. And the last question was a summary that we would provide for the CEO.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

2 rounds of interview in one day. The first round takes place in the morning, and upon passing the first round, the second round is in the afternoon.

There are 2 one-on-one interviews in each round. Each interview consists of 30 min personal experience interview, and then 30 min case interview.

The second round of interview is with managers and partners, and the case is more difficult and complex.

Interview Questions

McKinsey & Company Response

Jul 11, 2018 – Recruiting Expert

Thanks for your review - we're glad to hear it was a positive experience even if a difficult one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in August 2018.

Interview

There we two interviews. Each interview comprises of a personal interview and a case interview. In the personal interview the interview will ask for a story that helps him/her judge certain attributes like leadership and drive. In the case interview interview will ask you to solve a business case similar to what they do in the field. The interviews are very nice and pleasant during the interviewing process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were in a group and faced challenges. What did you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in August 2018.

Interview

First you create a profile on the McKinsey website so that you can apply online. The application is pretty detailed and asks about prior test scores (GRE, GMAT, SAT ect). Resumes and Cover letters need to be tailored to the position and company. On the day of the interviews I had two interviews consisting of fit portion and case (50min each). Fit portion lasted about 10 minutes while the cases were about 40 minutes. I was not required to take the PST

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)) in October 2013.

Interview

The interview was made entirely out of practical examinations and oral tests. The first approach is a written exam. If you pass the exam, you've got to assist an interview with young McKinsey Consultants who just came back from their masters degree. If you pass that interview process they contact you afterwards and you have a similar oral interview with more senior consultants. The interviews flow really easily if you prepare and have background in problem solving.

Interview Questions

• What's the most important factor to consider when analyzing a problem   Answer Question

Too much time needed pwer week that didn't match my personal schedule.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)) in December 2013.

Interview

Submitted CV and cover letter online and received an email inviting me to a 1 hour problem solving test at a nearby McKinsey office 2 weeks later. Completed the test and was emailed 1 week later informing me that I had passed the test and was invited to the next round of face to face interviews. I was given a range of dates to choose from as well as the chance to attend a training session beforehand. The format was two 1 hour interviews with a different consultant. The first half hour of each interview was an in depth analysis of a single behavioural question eg "Describe a time you overcame an obstacle to achieve a goal". The second half hour was a case study of the type that can be found on McKinsey's career page with plenty of steering by the consultants.

Interview Questions

• Not a specific question but they will probe very deep on the behavioural question. Make sure that any example you use has enough meat to last for 30 minutes of discussion.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2013.

Interview

Interviewed in 2013 August. Being a PhD candidate, I went through a Problem Solving Test (PST) which comprised of multiple math questions after reading a business case. The test is pretty intense but with enough amount of practice and attention to details, you could pass it easily. After the PST, there was a group interview, where I was put in a room with 5 other candidates. A consultant walked in to give us guidance on "how to do a case" but in actual fact, he asked us case interview questions about exhibits and each of us had to provide insights on the exhibit. It would be unfortunate if you are the last to be asked as there is really limited insights in one exhibit. However, they switch up the answering order for subsequent questions so it is fair for everyone. I was later called that afternoon to be informed that I did extremely well for my PST and I passed that screening round.
    I was then invited to the first round interview where there were two interviewers. Each started with a behavioral interview and ended with a case interview. It was not super complex and you do not have to know complicated formulas. The calculations may have obscure numbers to work with. It is generally a pressure test and to see if you are "smooth".

Interview Questions

• Tell me what was your greatest achievement. This question is seemingly easy, but my feedback was that they are looking for something that is really impressive and engaging.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)).

Interview

Got an email from a recruiter, asked some very basic personal questions and then invited me to take a problem solving test.
    Got to their office, was treated very nicely, took the test that didn't feel that hard (very little time per question though - I think there were 25 questions in 24 minutes or something like that) and I never heard back from them.
    I tried emailing the recruiter but she never answered.
    The test consisted of 3 business case studies.

Interview Questions

• Based on very little information, what should the business do next in order to increase sales?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)) in April 2014.

Interview

I went to a recruitment event and later applied to the PST. After the PST I was called to the first round of interviews: 3 interviews, one of them in English. The first two were Personal Experience Interviews followed by business cases, the last one was just the case. I didn't pass to the second round of interviews but I received a call with some feedback and tips for improving.

Interview Questions

• The PEI questions were the most difficult: Tell me about some situation in witch you disagreed with someone and Tell me about a project that you'd lead   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Johannesburg (South Africa)) in November 2013.

Interview

The contact I have had with the McKinsey recruitment team has been very pleasant. Unlike other management consulting firms, McKinsey flew me up to Johannesburg (from Cape Town) starting with my first in-person interview. They have also provided an interview coach who has been incredibly helpful in the preparation process. Communication is easy, admin for the trips is planned well in advance and accommodation in Johannesburg has been fantastic.

Interview Questions

• Our client is an airline and is thinking about which airports to use as hubs - how do you think about this question.   Answer Question