McKinsey & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.7

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2013.

Interview

They contacted me well in advance, assigned me a current consultant as an interview mentor, and sent me plenty of material to prepare me for the evaluation process. It was very relaxed, yet VERY detailed.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you took a risk. Don't just provide the basics: they keep asking and prodding to understand every aspect of your decision making process.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Interview

Applied through their website. About one month later was contacted for a written test. Passed the written test and went through the interview rounds. Interviewers were extremely arrogant, and could have been a bit more warm or friendly. Was offered a job but went to a competitor instead because the work culture seemed a bit more relaxed and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Standard case studies. Nothing out of the blue. Just make sure you have practiced your mental math   Answer Question

Went to a competitor with a more friendly environment

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2011.

Interview

I applied for an Associate Consulting role as an APD hire (advanced professional degree) and continued through the second round of interviews (out of 3) before being knocked out of the loop (or as my interviewer put it, "we decided not to pass you on"). As most applicants know, the first round consisted of an intelligence test followed by two case interviews conducted in a group setting. The second interview consisted of two one-on-one cases with two separate consultants.

My advice: practice, practice, practice, especially for the second round. I didn't, and it showed. I'm pretty certain that if I had put in at least a week of full-time prep, I would have passed the second round. Many applicants put in more than this; some put in less. I put in about a day (indicating insufficient commitment on my part) and got points knocked off for not fully addressing all potential factors that applied to the cases in question.

Interviewers were friendly, if a bit stiff. One strange aspect is that many of the consultants are in their twenties, even those with APDs. These people may have smarts, but they also may lack routine interpersonal skills that simply come with age. That said, if you're younger than your interviewers, they may be more skilled in this department than you, so it's not an issue. But if you're older, the interviewer-interviewee interpersonal dynamic can be odd - at least it was in my case, as I felt more socially comfortable than my interviewers while at the same time more dependent, given our respective roles.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2011.

Interview

It was nice. The individual was quite warm and interested in walking through my resume. I felt that there was a good rapport between the two of us, and was hearing a good amount of positive feedback. It was a typical case study, and yet I heard back from them with a 'no'. Was quite shocked.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2012.

Interview

2 interviews back to back. Each case and experience.
    First interviewer was approximately 20 mins late and very inexperienced (also associate consultant, which according to my sources is highly unusual. usually interviews are conducted by engagement managers and higher) Case was pretty straightforward.
    2nd round was with engagement manager that was very well skilled at guiding the interview and keeping the happy poker face. I rate interview experience as negative because the first interviewer was inexperienced and late.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2011.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews.

The first involved an intelligence test (which was difficult) and two one-on-one interviews, each of which lasted about an hour.

The second round involved a group interview with five other applicants, as well as three one-on-one interviews, each of which lasted about an hour.

In each one-on-one interview, I worked through a business case with my interviewer. The second round involved cases, but was more focused on the "personal" portion of the interview.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)) in April 2012.

Interview

1. Resume screen
    2.1 day - 3 * 1-on-1 interviews (Very average difficulty levels and extremely interesting & engaging interviews)+ 1 Problem Solving Test (Very intense and difficult - sad part is you never get to know your result) - Overall a draining process because of intensity of discussion and back-to-back interviews due to over-run discussions

3.Very supportive and stimulating Feedback & prep phase with an in-house coach

4.1day- 3*partner interviews (Very grilling but very interesting & even more engaging)
    5. Offer

Interview Questions

• Decipher and do all possible calculations on a Waterfall graph   Answer Question
    • Was shown a video and asked to suggest improvements   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2009.

Interview

Just the typical that you always hear: case studies that have no right or wrong answers.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was not much scope for negotiation.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2010.

Interview

The skill test itself is not very difficult at all, however their case interviews require knowing their format. I did not find the cases hard and in fact got hired at another consultancy but Mckinsey's feedback to me was to memorize their format and stick to it. It was less about the answers and more about knowing I had reviewed and studied their process intently, which admittedly I did not even look at except for the short webinar the weekend before. Practice and learn their process. Overall, a bit of arrogance from those I interviewed with leading me to question the culture though I cannot speak to it.

Interview Questions

• Case questions-financial   1 Answer
    • Case questions-market approach   1 Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2010.

Interview

Online application (where they ask for your SAT score, and the scores to any standardized test you have ever taken). Followed by a written timed exam. Followed by 3 interviews (case + personal experience). One of my interviewers violated my privacy by telling another interviewee whom I knew that I had applied --which raised a red flag. The people who work there were impressive and smart but complained about the hours.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you had to lead a team through a challenging period.   Answer Question