McKinsey & Company Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2017

4.1

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I had two interviews in my first round. Each had a behavioral interview section for 20 minutes and 30 min for a case question. Then there was a 10-minute break followed by the same repeated with a different interviewer. Each was a one on one. In both cases, the interviewer was very friendly and I had the impression they were trying to help me along.

Interview Questions

• In the behavioral questions I was asked:
    "Tell me about a time you managed a conflict in a team"
    "Tell me about a time you had to convince your boss of something"
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

The interview process was very structured. There was a very specific flow of events---intros, personal fit questions, case, time for questions. The case was nothing unexpected, pretty much exactly how it's described in case interview prep materials.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

First round interviews at the Boston office - two cases, each about 45 minutes long. Was a typical management consulting interview, with about 15 minutes behavioral, 30 minutes cases. Did not have any trouble with the interview process, the recruiters were very nice and prompt.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied on the site, no cover letter required. On interview day I went through two rounds of interviews with two people. Both interviewers asked me a 'fit' question and led a case style interview. Because I messed up one portion of a case, I was not invited for a second round of interviews.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a co-worker.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Very well organized
    Guidance for interview preparation provided at each step
    Interviewer helped wherever I was stuck in the case
    Telephonic screen followed by first round and later second round of onsite interviews

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

Resume Screen >> Online Test (verbal and quant) >> Frist Round Onsite >> Final Round Onsite
    They are being very transparent in the interview process. For the behavioral portion, they only ask for one story per session, mostly about leadership, personal impact or conflict resolution. For the case, it is typical McKinsey style case, and the interviewer would guide you through the process. Just relax and enjoy!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you face and conflict in the team and tell me how did you resolve it.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

I had two rounds of interviews with McKinsey. My first interview was in my local office, where I met with two interviewers. Each interviewer asked me a fit question and a case question. The final interview was in the office where I received my offer. The format was similar to the first round, but I met with three interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you persuaded someone on your team.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

3 "rounds" of interiews took place:
    Round 1: screening test
    Round 2 (if you pass their screening test): one on one case studies
    Round 3 (if you are chosen to advance past Round 2): office specific interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Interview

First round was a written test followed by a 'practice' group interview. The test seemed easy to me, but I know some people found it difficult. Your mileage may vary. Second round was two typical fit+case interviews. This was my first time doing a consulting interview, and I didn't really know what to expect, which hurt me a bit on the fit part. Here's how it works: they ask you about a conflict/teamwork experience and you talk about it for 10-15 minutes. I cannot comment on the final round because I did not reach it. :)

Nonetheless, I was impressed at how nice and professional McKinsey was even after rejected. Other companies should strive to do as good a job as they did.

Interview Questions

• Typical fit questions. Have stories ready about your conflicts and your accomplishments and your teamwork.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Two rounds of interviews: one on-campus (2 interviews) and one at the office (4 interviews). Each interview included a fit portion and a case study. Each interview was about 45 minutes long. The first round was EM/Associate level people interviewing and the 2nd round was AP/Partner level interviewing. After the first round, received a call saying I was moving on to the next round and they provided feedback as well. A couple hours after the 2nd round, got a call that I was going to receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Questions about leadership, team work, how you overcome challenges. Case study including quantitative and qualitative thinking.   Answer Question