McKinsey & Company Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

4.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in August 2011.

Interview

Took PST. I didn't have time to finish the last a couple of question but somehow was passed onto the next round.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in August 2011.

Interview

Round 1:
    You are required to take a timed (60 minute) test that goes over some basic case studies. You can't use a calculator and many of the questions are heavy with basic math. There's really no way to prepare; you just need to be comfortable looking at graphs/charts and sorting through data tables. You should also brush up on your speed-reading skills, as there is a lot of information given in each question and not much time to answer.
    You then participate in two break-out sessions with 4-5 other candidates and a relatively recent McKinsey hire as the mediator. You go over a basic case study, the type of which will be encountered during the Round 2 interview in a one-on-one setting, and the mediator basically asks pointed questions from each person in turn so that everyone has a chance to speak and practice.

Overall, everyone was extremely nice and helpful. The atmosphere in the break-out sessions was relaxed and actually sort of fun. The test was nerve-wracking, but it always comes before the break-out sessions, so you can sort of relax afterwards and do your best to practice your case study skills.

McKinsey told us that whether or not you were called back for Round 2 was based 90% on if you passed the test. There wasn't a score or number of answers specified which designates a pass. I felt that I did pretty mediocre on the test, but I received an e-mail at the end of the next business day inviting me for round 2 interviews. The date and location of the round 2 interviews had already been set when I received the first invitation for round 1, and it was exactly two weeks after round 1.

Round 2:
    This interview consisted of two one-on-one case studies with relatively new McKinsey hires. I believe one of my interviewers had been there for 1 1/2 years and the other about 3 years. This was definitely a very difficult and challenging experience, especially because I come from a non-MBA advanced degree.

My first interviewer was a friend of a friend, so things were much more relaxed. They start by telling you the basics of the case, and then attempt to have you come up with a specific solution or "basket" by guiding you through the hour-long process with specific questions. There is always a math question, sometimes two, which requires you to look at a lot of data and logically figure out a way to find the value or amount they're asking about. I had a hard time with this, because again you can't use a calculator and you're nervous, but my interviewer was very helpful in providing tips as I went through the math. Make sure you talk out loud and walk through your analysis instead of just scribbling numbers and blurting out a numeric value. In addition, before the case study started, I was asked two generic questions: "Tell me about a time you were challenged" and "Tell me about a time you showed leadership."

My second interviewer was extremely bored, tired, and in a rush because I was his last candidate of the day. He was less interested in having me give detailed answers because I'm sure he'd already heard it all before. He asked me the same two generic questions before starting the case study, both of which I used different answers than before. The case study went much the same as the first, but I was provided as much help during my math issues.

Afterwards, we were told we could hear back as early as that night or as late as one week away. My interview was on a Tuesday, and I was called by my second interviewer the following Wednesday morning. I expected a lot of feedback, but our conversation lasted all of two minutes. I was told that I hadn't made it to round three; they were just looking for my structure in my thinking process.

Overall, the process is very organized, the people are friendly, and they want you to be as prepared as possible so they give you all the information you need to prepare. Be sure to go through all the interview prep information on the website; this is EXACTLY how my interview went and I was not at all surprised.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in May 2010.

Interview

Begin by applying online. There is an initial phone screen to discuss your background. After that, there are at least two, and in my case three, in-person interview rounds where you will work one-on-one to solve case problems. Non-MBAs also must take a one-hour written exam covering basic mathematics.

Interview Questions

• How would you estimate the weight of a jumbo jet?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

The first round consisted of a skills test and some group case interview "workshop" sessions. It was stated that first round decisions would be primarily made based on our performance on the test (but that we could do damage to our candidacies in the case interview sessions). The test was hard, but not overwhelmingly so. The group sessions were relatively relaxed. I was informed the next day that I would be moved forward.

The second round was composed of three 1:1 interviews with consultants. Each of these interviews had a behavioral component ("tell me about yourself/why consulting, a challenging time you worked on a team, when you had to defend your ideas") and a case component. The storytelling behavioral portions were challenging in that you had to have an anecdote you could elaborate on for >20 min. I felt my performance on the cases went: OK, good, not-so-good. On the last case, my notetaking was critiqued as being disorganized and I made a math error.

I received a call a few days after the second round with the news that I had been dinged. The consultant who made that call said that my interviewers thought that I needed more case practice.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you found it challenging to work on a team, and what actions specifically you took to overcome those challenges.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Houston, TX) in January 2008.

Interview

It was a case based interview where they were looking for specific consulting skills. I had to meet 4 people who each gave me a case and they told us the results at the end of the day. Very professional people who treat you with respect and consideration.

The best way to prepare for such an interview is to practice cases in advance and be very structured and methodical about how you answer questions. They are looking for a good team player and somebody who can structure a problem into a series of problems and go about solving the same in an analytical way.

Interview Questions

• Why consulting? Where does it fit into your career plan?   1 Answer

I did not want to start at the bottom of the ladder in the consulting hierarchy after 8 years of work experience and was hoping they would offer me a more senior role. They declined and I found a different job.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in November 2008.

Interview

Standard case interview with partners. I was a "high potential" candidate and had interviewed for an internship the previous year, so I was fast forwarded to the final round of interviews for the full time job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations. Standard for everyone.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2009.

Interview

You must be prepared for the case interview. the best way to do this is to practice, practice, practice. Don't say anything that is superfluous in the interview; they will jump on every statement. Also, practice doing math in your head: division, multiplication etc.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. They made me an offer, I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in February 2011.

Interview

First round: a deductive reasoning test and panel discussion / case studies. The outcome of this interview is determined solely by the deductive reasoning test.

Second round: a series of three 1:1 interviews, all involving an Experience question and a Case interview question. I found the case interview questions to be very similar to the case studies in Round 1, except that the pressure to perform is higher since it's 1:1. I found the Experience questions to be the most challenging aspect - if you don't have the right kind of story under your belt, then it's very difficult to formulate the kind of answer that they want to hear. This is particularly difficult in for PhD recruits.

Example: one of the Experience interview questions essentially required me to describe a situation where I resolved a personality conflict in the work environment. I've been fortunate enough never to be put in that position, and so while I discussed a situation where I resolved a professional difference of opinion, there was no personality conflict, so I really didn't answer the question that the recruiter asked. I think my interview really suffered for that.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you resolved a personality conflict in the workplace.   2 Answers
    • Case interview questions regarding profit / ROI questions, projected market trends, etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Detroit, MI) in October 2010.

Interview

2 fit questions about a challenge and a conflict, and case

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2010.

Interview

Associate interviews include the McKinsey Problem Solving Test (PST) and the typical case interview + fit format. Unlike their competitors, McKinsey spends more time in the first round with the "tell me about a time when" stories. The cases were fair and very typical of the McKinsey style - less numbers and graph reading, and more about trying to understand how creative and exhaustive your thought process is.

Fit questions: tell me about a time when you had a difficult interaction with a manager and what you would have done differently to change the outcome of the interaction? Tell me about a time you had to convince ledaership of something, how you went about the convincing and the results of that situation?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a difficult interaction with a manager, how you handled that interaction and what you would have done differently to change the outcome?   Answer Question
    • What skills are you hoping to develop while working with McKinsey and what opportunities will you seek in order to develop these skills?   Answer Question

Accepted offer with competing firm.